Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: My long termer Z650

Blog Entries
    That works well mate! This has got to be a record run (working on the bike that is) hasn't it?

ASF Gold Full Member
    Yes Si, definitely! Well, for the last fifteen years and this bike, yes.
    And it might be delayed a bit over the next couple of weeks, as just picked up an SV650 for a runabout bike, that needs a bit of work to get it sorted...
    www.flat-out.com

ASF Gold Full Member
    Rooting through more bits and found these, which I'll be needing...

Mikuni HSR42 and float bowl extension kit.
    www.flat-out.com

Bloke with a smaller stick
    Nice score Dave, I never find anything that good in my pile of bits....
    "It's the eighties and I'm down with the ladies"

ASF Gold Full Member
    HSR and extension together as one...

Which is all well and good while I waited for the carb adaptor to arrive from Allens Performance.
    But when it did...

Bugger!
    www.flat-out.com

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    you obviously bought the wheelie version , gonna be hard to tune with the wheel up and one hand on the bars but its do able

ASF Gold Full Member
    That pics probably doesn't show it very well, but the carb wants to sit where the frame rail is...

There's no way that the frame can be trimmed, as it'd take all of the frame tube out, and moving it directly outboard would mean a spacer about four inches long and the carb ending up where my right knee wants to be, so it'll have to be an angled spacer that points the carb forward I reckon...
    www.flat-out.com

Alice Springs, Northern Territory, Australia
    can you make a pic of your intake setup from behind mate?

ASF Gold Full Member
    Yeah, I'll have a go, will probably take the battery box etc out so I can get a pic that shows it properly...
    www.flat-out.com

Blog Entries
    Mechanical injection ? Silly I know but I'm so over efi ATM lol
    How would it look or work angling the carb forward ?
    Would prob mean modifying the carb and or the the turbo inlet and looking
    like a steaming dog turd :-(

Blog Entries
    I have been looking at getting my grubby paws
    on a mates druin supercharger kit mmmnnnn

ASF Gold Full Member
    So, having finally got back into the Shed of Dread, and ignoring the carb issue hoping it'll go away, I started actually doing some stuff. Although, unsurprisingly, not much...
    After taking off the temporarily bolted on headers, I took out the two remaining exhaust port studs, and fitted a new set. Ooh, a teeny tiny step forward! I also got a mate to spin up a set of spacers for the oil cooler that I'll be fitting, so I can get on and make the bracketry for that. But had to go back and check out that rear wheel spacing. With the spacers that my good mate Sam had made, I got the wheel centralised within a mill' or so. Which was fine, but as the pic below shows, it is scarily close to the left hand side of the swinging arm, and the chain run is going to be close to the left-hand shock too. Added to which, it's looking highly likely that the chain and rear frame down tube will want to be occupying the same space.

I'm now thinking of shifting it to the right by five or ten mm, and accept a slight misalignment of wheels...
    www.flat-out.com

Blog Entries
    It would shit me to have to do so and I have seen runs with
    only a few mm of clearance but to honest vmax's and the like
    are that far out from std (5mm from mem).

ASF Standard Full Member Redmohawk's Avatar
    Mushroom head Bolt with nut on outside (aka Disk brake mounting bolt) will give you heaps of room on sprocket side. Down tube might be a little trickeyer though. Cut and Plate ?

ASF Gold Full Member
    Mohawk, that pic is a bit deceptive, it's not an issue with the shock mounting bolt, plenty of clearance there. But you're right with the frame I reckon...

Okay, so while fiddling with my rear end (er...) I found a caliper hanger that matched the spindle diameter, but which needs some machining to make it the right thickness for what I'd discovered on the left hand side of the swinging arm. And I bolted on an SV650 caliper I hand hanging about.

I dunno if you can see here, but it's right for the offset of the disc (zero) but not for the 210mm diameter.

So, with some guesswork and a ruler waved in it's general direction, I reckon I need a disc of 230mm diameter. Either that, or get a new caliper hanger made, and I think that the disc is the easier option! So, anyone know of any online disc dimension lsitings? Some quick measurements show that the disc fitted to the Dymag is a six bolt fixing (so a three bolt one would also do the trick) of PCD 109mm, with the central hole being 99mm diameter.
    www.flat-out.com

ASF Gold Full Member
    Oh, and I was reminded about something that's been bugging me since I first built the bike with the 1100 motor - the shock alignment.
    When the swinging arm was made by Martek, the shock mounts were wider apart than the standard mounts, so they're a bit 'splay-legged'...

So I'm thinking of doing something with the top shock mounts to bring it all into alignment. The shocks worked fine, but it was always something that bugged me, and ikt just wasn't right.
    www.flat-out.com

Alice Springs, Northern Territory, Australia
    some bikes shocks have an off set upper eye or you can fab/order a custom one mate

ASF Gold Full Member
    Yeah Surt, and while they were fine when I was running the bike before, it just don't seem right. And the thread is a bit ropey on one of the shock mounts too, so it's a good excuse to rectify that, but not 100% certain that I'll do anything yet...

Back with the brake, I'd initially thought that I'd use this hanger -

But as it has a rubber damper in it (dunno why, most don't seem to have it, I think this was from a ZXR750H1) it'd be a bit pants to machine, so maybe I'll go with this one instead -

I've marked it up with the changes that it'd need to work, although I'd still need to find a larger disc, as you can see here -
    www.flat-out.com

ASF Gold Full Member
    Old goldfish brain here got distracted again, while I was fannying around fitting the new exhaust studs into the head I had a look inside the headers... and noticed that the inside of the header pipes had some 'clag' (for want of a better word) inside. The headers weren't genuine Mr Turbo ones, as they didn't fit due to the fact that the GPz engine sits further back in the Z650 frame than it did in the 1100 frame, so I had Mickey Burke at Eyeball Engineering in Tamworth make me some new headers (and up-pipe) to suit...

Time to get the Dremel out...
    www.flat-out.com

Blog Entries
    Fun fiddly work.

A lot of action in the shed of dread mate! ...on a roll?

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast