Thread: CV`s or FLATSLIDE

Weekend Warrior
    Briz, or where ever fate takes me. Australia.

CV`s or FLATSLIDE

G`day
    I`m a bit lost as to what to do. I`m doing a 1216 Bandit rebuild with flowed head,and MAY BE gix cams. I`m building this to be reliable and if so,something I could ride around Aus on if I wanted. I do want to ditch the 36mm CV on the Bandit, and possibly 38mm CV from 750 gix,or 36mm flatslide. Now one issue is the 38mm is a 20yr old carb, and from what I understand,they can`t be fully rebuilt. Then for the 36mm flatslide,as i`ve never riden a bike with them, and what they were designed for,I don`t know they will suit my application, especially if they suck juice like its going out of fasion, or can they be riden with a light hand and still get desent distance on them, and are they a pig to use in day to day life.
    Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks John.

Weekend Warrior
    The RS is a great carb. Really good throttle response. Crack them open hard at low revs though and the will just bog down.
    The flat slide rattle at idle has no equal. I reakon they sound great. If set up correctly they work well and should use no more fuel than any other properly set up carb. The CV carbs are a little more forgiving and are supposed to give a more pleasant ride.
    I ran RS40s on my race engine and they are right at home. My son has the 36 CVs on his 750 race bike and they work well also.

Ultimately it is going to boil down to what you can get hold of and how comfortable you are at setting them up.

Peter.

Weekend Warrior
    Briz, or where ever fate takes me. Australia.
    Thanks for reply Peter.I`m am willing to wait for the right carb, and can get ahold of some 38mm CV`s right now,its just the age is of concern, that being 20yr old, and the flatslide was to be another option as I can get a lot newer ones,its just that liveability thing with them as i`m a fish out of water with flatslides. But as you say, if set up correctly and with a nice feeding hand should be smooth. I wish I could ride a bike with them to so as to feel and understand them.John.