Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: VFR 750 fighter

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Stage 1 is now complete - she's back on the road and rideable!

The overflow bottle is a bit dodgy, but I'll replace the zip ties with either pipe clamps or a custom bracket. I need to fiddle with the lights a bit to get the angle right, and the "elliptical" beam takes a bit of getting used to. But she lives! Fun to ride, too.

Blog Entries
    Good stuff mate. Great feeling getting her back on the road hey?

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Absolutely. I need to do some more tidying up of cables, as well as mounting the choke somewhere. Then I can think of where to go next.

ASF Standard Full Member
    I like it ;-)
    2 things but. Headlight could come down a couple inches. And flip the mirrors and hang them under the bars. A much tidier look IMO.

Have you night tested the light? Looks cool from here hope it is as a bright as it looks good.

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Quote Originally Posted by BOBBY View Post
    I like it ;-)
    2 things but. Headlight could come down a couple inches. And flip the mirrors and hang them under the bars. A much tidier look IMO.

Have you night tested the light? Looks cool from here hope it is as a bright as it looks good.
    I'll give the headlight thing a go. Just looking at it again in the pics after your comment I see what you mean, it does look a bit perched up there. The light is pretty bright at night, I need to get the angles right for it though. Cheers!

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    It's been a bit since the last update, mostly as not much has gone on. I've tidied up some of the front wiring, and built a couple of brackets to keep the clutch line under control. One thing I did find out as I was tidying things up was the the LHS rearset looks like this:

A nice little bend thanks to a few drops by the PO (and maybe one by me...). Anyway, that got me looking for new rearsets, and the buggers are pretty much impossible to find. Raask make one, but I don't like it much. The age of the bike and the asymmetric frame means it's time to break out the streetfighter adage - build the bastard yourself!

I dollied up a couple of timber adapter plates:

and would you believe the buggers even fit?

Anyway, thanks to a couple of suggestions from the lads here I'm now going to look for some rearsets to attach, then get the plates done up out of metal.

Here's a couple of pics of the girl as she currently sits:

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Damn, it's been a while since I posted here. I've not really done much else to the old girl apart from adding a nice red rear brake resevoir and riding it pretty often! But it's time to move on, so she's up for sale. I can't start a thread in the for-sale section, so can I spruike it in here instead?

Blog Entries
    Not really mate. Sales are only for full members because of scammers from the past. Not saying you are mate, but just a policy.

If you got the basic full membership for $20 you could post in there for as long as it takes to sell plus on the ASF Facebook page.

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Fair enough, I did read the sticky on the top of the for-sale section about spammers, etc. You can't escape the buggers anywhere.

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    It's been a while. Good news is I still have the bike and I'm going for stage 2 of the streetfighter project on it after all. Going to kick up the tail end a bit, mod the subframe to suit, and get stuck into the wiring. I'm hoping to gut the loom almost completely and go for a motogadget m-unit setup to get rid of the massive tangle of wires that I've been trying to hide in front of the air box.

As a result, the bike is currently looking like this:

Blog Entries
    Ha - A very common motorcycle photo on this forum! Have fun with that.

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    I plan some very careful wiring work - using my angle grinder and a large axe.

ASF Premium Full Member
    I've just neatened my vfr800 harness up recently.
    more titanium than my bike

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    The wiring looks much better now that I've ditched half of it :-)

Weekend Warrior
    Pics!

Pizza delivery boy/girl

Ok, it doesn't look quite so good at the moment :-)

The plan is to have just the kill switch on the RHS of the bars, and a minimalist light/horn/indicator on the LHS. I'm planning on moving the starter button, and maybe the key as well, just to tidy up the amount of wires to run past the engine or to hide in front of the airbox. No wonder people choose in line 4 cylinder bikes as a preference for streetfighters, there's a whole lot more room to hide stuff.

I'm also working on kicking the arse end of the seat up in the air, to give me a place to hide the battery/spark unit etc, and to give it a bit more flavour.

Weekend Warrior
    Terrific stuff, and don't be concerned about how it looks. For starters, you're miles ahead of me on progress and how it looks now and during the build is actually good for whoever follows... that's what forums are all about.

I hadn't even considered moving switchgear off the bars on mine, so there you go - you've just given me thoughts I didn't have.

Keep it coming!!!

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Cheers. I'm doing some welding on the sub frame to kick the standard seat up in the air. I don't carry a passenger so having them perched on a ridiculous angle isn't a problem. That also gives me some space to hide away the battery. I'll post up some more progress pics when I get the chance. Warning in advance - I'm a total newbie to mig welding so the welds are a total work in progress :-)

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Finished the rough subframe mods to kick up the tail, house the battery and mount the tail lights/number plate:

Having put it back on the bike with the tank I'm a bit worried I've gone a bit too high for comfort, but I'll see once I get it fully sorted. I might have to play with the front end of the seat to get it to fit in right and still look decent on the tank.

Now I need to build a base piece to hide away the rest of the electronics, then get the bugger rewired. Slow and steady(ish) progress.

Blog Entries
    What tail plastics are you using mate? The original ones?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast