Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: VFR 750 fighter

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Progress has been slowed again, mostly as some more bits are on back order. I've been trying to sort out the electronics, having to rewire both switch blocks as I've got some nice new ones. That, and working out which wires to connect in the new digital speedo. Last night I bit the bullet, grabbed out the old headlight and hooked it up along with the new rear indicators and the old front ones, reconnected the battery and turned it on. Success! No sparks or fire! Plus the indicators, light, horn and starter all work! Interestingly the indicators flash too fast when the LEDs are on the rear and old bulbs on the front, but not at all if I have LEDs front and rear. I figured I'd need a new flasher unit, so that's next on the list. Now it's a matter of getting the dash working, then a bit of front end cleaning until the last of the parts arrive.

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    A few more pressies arrived in the mail today - new bar, brake/clutch lines and hopefully the headlight brackets. The light itself is still on back order. I've finished the supports for the oil cooler and they go on tonight along with the new arrivals. I've got a fuel filter and indicator relay swimming over the ocean as we speak, so it's getting closer and closer to Stage 1 Done! Hopefully some pics to come tomorrow.

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    Were's the piccies. We need piccies....

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    They're coming, I promise! I even got lucky in the mail today - the flasher unit and filter showed up. That just leaves the headlight unit. Test fitted the bars and headlight brackets tonight, and the bars I think look even better than the drag bars. They're black ABM street bars.

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Ok, here are some pics of where I'm up to.

Subframe and tray in place, wiring 99% sorted:

Oil cooler in place with custom brackets:

New bars plus a tangle of wiring I'm trying to get sorted:

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Blasted wiring has been a pain, but I think I've got it sorted (mostly). There wasn't as much room as I thought around the air box, but with a lot of fiddling I've gotten it in. Just need to tidy it up and make sure it works!

Got a parcel from Japan the other day - must have been big an important, check out the packaging:

So what was inside?

One tiny little clutch switch connector, packed into a shoebox. Impressive. I guess they wanted to make sure it arrived undamaged.

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Bloody electrics. I finally get everything back together, tank on (with new fuel longer fuel hose), exhaust fitted, ready to roll. Reconnect the battery, turn on the key and mains, lights go on. Take a deep breath and press the starter - NOTHING. Crap. Fiddle with clutch and stand switches, no joy. Pull the tank off, pull the air filter off, stare at the tangle of wires that I was sure I had been bloody careful with. Poke around in a depressed kind of way, then have an epiphany. Pull off the cover of the fusebox and start checking fuses. The first one I pull is busted. All the rest are fine, and everything electical on the bike is working bar the starter, so I'm hoping that the busted fuse is the reason I'm getting nothing. So off to Supercheap tomorrow morning to pick up a couple of 10A fuses and will give the beast another go tomorrow.

Good luck with it being just a blown fuse

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Quote Originally Posted by wackyrider View Post
    Good luck with it being just a blown fuse
    Cheers. When I first got the wiring all done I tapped the starter and the starter motor fired up. So I'm vaguely confident that it was just the fuse. We'll see tonight.

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Crap. Not the fuse after all. Turns out it was the fan fuse, so at least that will now work. Time to break out the multimeter and see if I can find where the dud connection is.

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Success! It turns out that I had the wiring for the ignition/kill switch wrong. But it also looks like the kill switch is arse about - when it's in the 'run' position the circuit is open. Also, what I thought was the common wire for the starter and kill switches wasn't - the starter button shares a wire with the brake switch. So after some rewiring and connecting up again the engine turns over. Of course, the fuel tank is empty, but I'm going to fix that one tonight and hopefully she'll come back to full life.

Nice one mate

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Of course, now the fuel pump won't run while the starter is turning the engine over. Pump works fine if I bypass the fuel pump relay, connections are all good. It kinda tries to fire up - I can feel it clicking when the starter is pressed - but won't pump. It could be the battery as it has sat around for ages. I've got it on the charger now, and it was registering pretty low on the charge lights, so I'll see how it runs tonight.

Bloke with a smaller stick BANDITROD's Avatar
    gotta have good power mate if the battery has been sitting there is a good chance its prob fucked

Glenn Eason drinks and smokes and lends his arse to other blokes

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Could be. It's a sealed type, rather than the traditional lead acid type. It'd draw a nice 12V when not under load, but I think was struggling when kicking over the starter. After a day of charging I'll see how she handles.

if it takes charge it will still be ok

ASF Standard Full Member Redmohawk's Avatar
    Sealed will come back ok a few times from being left a long time, if it doesnt a quick fix (if its cactus fuckus) is to open the top of battery (usally a small rectangle of plastic about 15mm by length of battery on one side of top) pry this up with a thin flat screwdriver underneath you will find rubber bungs over holes in battery dribble a little sulfuric acid into each hole re bung and glue down cover with a little heat only in the corners. Will prob bring it back to life with a charge for a few months.

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    SHE LIVES!

Stuck the battery on to charge this morning and by around 9pm she was fully charged. Whacked it back in and cranked her over, and the starter and pump fired up. Slapped the tank back on, cranked for a bit and off she went! Sounds great with the new pipe. Still have a few little things to button up, but Stage 1 is just about done!

good stuff mate

Well done bud

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast