Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: VFR 750 fighter

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Well, it's been a quiet couple of weeks on the build side of things as I've been waiting waiting waiting for some bits to arrive. What I have managed to do it get the blasted stuck piston out of the rear caliper. I tried the air compressor and reconnecting it to the master cylinder to force it out under hydraulic pressure with no luck. I eventually resorted to brute force - soaked it for a day or so in brake cleaner then worked it loose with a pair of multigrips. Mangled the top of it but got the bugger out. I'd say it had been stuck for some time as the brake pads had been worn on a pretty steep angle. So I've got new pistons and seals and have a new set of pads on the way.

I found a rear hugger for my model on the French Ebay of all places so that is wending its way over the turbulent Euro seas before the entirely of Europe goes up in financial flames, along with a top triple clamp adaptor so I can put a set of drag bars on instead of the clip ons.

I'll stop spending money on this bike one of these days!

ASF Gold Full Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chyaroh View Post
    I'll stop spending money on this bike one of these days!

Yeh good luck with that!
    If I had a dollar for every time I thought about you, I'd start thinking about you

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Still waiting for the exhaust system to arrive, but figured I'd chuck a couple of updates in here to prove I haven't dropped off the face of the earth.

Bought some LSL bar adapters and fitted them. Waiting on a set of bars that are on the way so I can get them all buttoned up. Shifted the oil cooler from the front of the forks to the back, and now I need to manufacture some brackets to hold it in place. I also painted up the underside of the original seat, which was a white plastic and now is nice and black, along with the brackets that hold it in place.

Also here are a few more old/new shots, of the rear caliper pistons and the rear exhaust nuts.

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Wow, two updates in three days, things must be happening! We'll, kinda. My black drag bars arrived last night so I fitted them up and they look pretty good. At least that gives me something to fiddle with as my exhaust system is supposedly leaving England this week. I think they had to to mine out the raw materials by hand with all the time it's taking.

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    I'll race ya I got a new top yoke leaving the UK as we speak , still it would be quicker than Aust post getting from east to west coast

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    They're all probably still hung over from Lizzie's 60th.

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Finally - a nice big box from England arrived yesterday! I'll open her up and check it out tonight, but just picking it up the entire parcel - box, shipping material, headers and pipe - feel lighter than just the old pipes I cut off. Excellent!

Of course, now I've discovered I need to fit s slim set of switchblocks as the blasted brake and clutch master cylinders don't fit on the nice low drag bars I've installed. They hit against the top of the forks. Ah well, they needed a tidy up any way, just spend some more money, why not... I'll have to relocate the choke while I'm at it.

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Progress! The new exhaust arrived, so fitted that. Put on the new bars and grips (temporarily), started to mock up an undertray to hold the spark unit, RR and coils for the rear bank of cylinders. Even got the swingarm, chain and wheel back on so got the beast back down on two wheels. Dropped the tank and seat back on to get an idea of how it's looking and was pretty impressed. Anyway, time for pics.

I need to get her outside for some better pics, but it was getting late and too cold!

she's starting to come together now , hows that system she looks mint

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Yeah, the system looks great, can hardly wait to hear her all fired up. I've got a ton of rewiring to do now though. Picked up some new slim switchblocks as I discovered that both the brake and clutch master cylinders hit the top of the forks with the old blocks. Fortunately I've got a manual with a wiring diagram and Mr Honda is very good about colour coding all the wires.

That exshust looks great mate.
    Ladies and Gentelmen, take my advise. "Pull down your pants and slide on the ice."

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    TIme for another update. I've pretty much fabricated the battery box and under tray electronics holder. It's a bit rough but not too bad for a gumby with nothing but a brick and a hammer to bend metal. Also working on the rear light holder, which will also hold the seat clip. Here's a few pics anyway.

The tray started out like this:

Then other bit got turned into this:

then the whole lot in place became this:

Here's a better shot of the bike kinda back together:

ASF Standard Full Member
    Coming along nicely mate ;-)
    Nice pipes too and a little bit of backyard ingenuity to top it off.

If I was you I would move that rr into a spot away from the cdi and somewhere it'll get some airflow.
    Hondas like to eat rr's and Stators and cook anything near the rr.

I can second that I swapped mine out for a much larger cbr1000r one , much bigger fins

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Quote Originally Posted by BOBBY View Post
    Coming along nicely mate ;-)
    Nice pipes too and a little bit of backyard ingenuity to top it off.

If I was you I would move that rr into a spot away from the cdi and somewhere it'll get some airflow.
    Hondas like to eat rr's and Stators and cook anything near the rr.
    Cheers for that. I've heard that the rr can be a bit of an problem with the VFR. I'll have a poke around and see where else I can squirrel it away, which will give me a bit more space in the tray for the extensive wiring that Mr Honda decided to gift us all with.

I might have to look at giving the bars a 45mm lift or replace the bars with MX style ones. The master cylinders just stick out too far the way I've got them set up at the moment.

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Ok, some progress has been made. Finished fabricating the wiring box and all the associated brackets:

Then it was time to set up my high-tech spray booth and get them painted:

I had painted the tray a gloss black, then decided that I should paint up the subframe as well. In my infinite wisdom I picked up the wrong kind of black (satin) and painted the subframe that anyway. Then decided that the satin look was dead sexy and I'd paint it all that colour! Here are all the bits after multiple coats and ready to go back together:

And finally, assembled and ready to go back on the bike:

Next up is the wiring! Also arriving today was my Koso instruments, so it's all looking sweet. I've just got to work out the front light, coolant bottle, reposition the choke and get the rewiring done. Oh, and maybe a new set of bars with some lift rather than the flat drag bars. Getting there slowly...

RevHead
    hey man best part about building a fighter,is deciding what to make or fix or paint ,while your waiting for the new shit to turn up,look great by the way

Bloke with a smaller stick BANDITROD's Avatar
    looking good mate

Glenn Eason drinks and smokes and lends his arse to other blokes

Looking good mate

Aussie Streetfighter Hooligan
    Blog Entries
    Tidy job.
    Nice pipe too.
    I like it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast