Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: VFR 750 fighter

Pizza delivery boy/girl

VFR 750 fighter

It's been a while but I've finally managed to get a start on the strip down for my 1988 VFR 750 fighter conversion. The plastics were shot and they are virtually impossible to find or too expensive to replace, so I thought I'd go the fighter option. The plan is to do a tight budget conversion as much as possible but still make it look half decent. So it will get new lights and dash, new chain and sprockets, plus some mods to the subframe for starters. I'd like to throw in a new exhaust system as well, though that one will be more difficult to get past the Minster for Finance :-)

With the side fairings and seat off, the girl was looking like this

Today I took off the front fairing and instruments. That was pretty straight forward, just unplug a few electrical connectors and a few bolts. This left the front end looking like this (note all the electricals on the left of the picture.

That, and repositioning the oil cooler, was going to be a bit of an issue. Fortunately, when I took off the tank and the air filter there was a bit of room between the air intake and the steering head. So a bit of fiddling around saw me get the main wiring loom tucked away nicely:

Haven't gotten too much further than that yet. I'm thinking that I can scavenge the existing instrument bracket to remount the oil cooler, or just fabricate a couple of brackets if I need it to be held lower. Now I need to pick out some lights and an instrument cluster to go with it all.

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    No more pics yet, they'll come shortly. The subframe is now off, as is the rear wheel and shock. I've got bits of while electrical tape all over the wiring harness in the hope that I'll remember where everything goes. It was a bit of fiddling to get the subframe off, mostly with the plastic rear guard that continues down and becomes both the battery box and support for the radiator overflow bottle. After that getting the subframe off was pretty straight forward.

Would have had the swingarm out as well except I don't have a big enough hex socket and Repco was shut when I went hunting for one. That'll have to wait until midweek I guess.

I discovered the rear headers will be a complete bitch to get out - even with the shock out they curl up almost under the main frame before entering the rear cylinders. It's going to be a job I'm only going to want to do once, so I'll need to talk the Minister for Finance into an upgrade on the pipes as well :-)

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    Keep up the good work mate!

RevHead
    i got a 4 into 1 if you want it ,and yes the rear header is a nightmare to get out,good work though

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder
    Would have had the swingarm out as well except I don't have a big enough hex socket and Repco was shut when I went hunting for one. That'll have to wait until midweek I guess.

Mate. What size hex socket are you after? I have a couple big ones I bought for the ZXR. You can borrow mine. I'm in Armidale as well. Save you buying one. Let me know.

Cheers, Jed

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Quote Originally Posted by RevHeadPete View Post
    i got a 4 into 1 if you want it ,and yes the rear header is a nightmare to get out,good work though
    What sort of 4-into-1? I was eying off a Motad system, I found a mob in in Aus that imports them.

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Quote Originally Posted by Jed View Post

Mate. What size hex socket are you after? I have a couple big ones I bought for the ZXR. You can borrow mine. I'm in Armidale as well. Save you buying one. Let me know.

Cheers, Jed
    Looks like it's a 15mm one.

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder
    I've PM'd you my phone number. Give me a call

ASF Premium Full Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chyaroh View Post
    What sort of 4-into-1? I was eying off a Motad system, I found a mob in in Aus that imports them.
    I bought a delkevic full stainless headers for my vfr 800 (through the US delkevic distributors) for $300 delivered. Might be worth checking if they do them for the 750.
    more titanium than my bike

RevHead
    it s only the 4into 1 headers if you pay post you can have them

i dont know what brand they are

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Quote Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
    I bought a delkevic full stainless headers for my vfr 800 (through the US delkevic distributors) for $300 delivered. Might be worth checking if they do them for the 750.
    Unfortunately they don't carry systems for my model.

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Thanks to Jed for the lend of a 14mm hex socket I can now get the LHS swingarm bolt out. But would you believe that in their infinite wisdom Honda decided to put what appears to be a 12mm bolt in the other side?

At least 12mm should be easy to get hold of in one of those hex socket sets, which I should really pick up anyway. But these things sure are sent to try us.

they sure did have some strange ideas but honda i did find to be the best for interchangablity things from other bike of simillar age just slipped straight on , good luck with the build , good to see more vfr's in the mix

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Quote Originally Posted by hyofighter View Post
    they sure did have some strange ideas but honda i did find to be the best for interchangablity things from other bike of simillar age just slipped straight on , good luck with the build , good to see more vfr's in the mix
    Cheers. Once the swingarm is out it'll be time to clean things up and bite the bullet on spending cash. The only bit I haven't figured out yet is the seat unit. I've seen a pick of a VFR in the States with a Ducati rear end that looked pretty sweet, but that's going to get expensive.

ASF Premium Full Member
    ben's making an adapter for me so i can get a 1098s rear wheel on my vfr8. Anything can be done.
    more titanium than my bike

there is a bloke on the vfr dissusion forum thats same model as yours , got a feeling that might be the one your talking about he has a few vfrfighters sebspeed is his name he is on custom fighters too

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Short update time. A few bits have arrived so I've started bunging them on where I can. Here's a couple of pics of the new and old gear:

Busily cleaning up the rear caliper, it'd be easier if I could get the blasted cylinders out!

The silver nuts you can see are actually the front header nuts. Luckily the old exhaust came off really easily, though the rear nuts are horribly corroded. New ones are on the way.

The rear sprocket nuts arrived last night so I can reassemble the rear wheel. More pics to follow.

RevHead
    if you need to get the pistons out ,use compressed air ,into the caliper ,in the fluid line ,leaving the bleed nipple closed ,

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Quote Originally Posted by RevHeadPete View Post
    if you need to get the pistons out ,use compressed air ,into the caliper ,in the fluid line ,leaving the bleed nipple closed ,
    I've tried that. Either my compressor is too tiny (I think it's older than I am) or the pistons are a bit clogged. Maybe both. I'll give it another blast or two later. I've got some brake cleaner so maybe that will loosen things up a bit. When I apply air I can see one of the pistons move a bit, but when I take the pressure away it pops back in again.

ASF Standard Full Member Redmohawk's Avatar
    Just hook calipers back onto master cyl fill with fluid and start pumping put a thin lump of something (power hacksaw blade is what i use) into the gap between pistons and other side of caliper so pistons dont pop right out. This stops one piston poping out and leaving the other half stuck in still. Once both are out as far as you can get them asside of the 1.5 mm from the hacksaw blade/whatever you use. Then they will have enough out that wrapped in a bit of rag they will prob just pull out with a little gental twist n pull.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast