Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ink thread

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    Blog Entries
    shit big change lance lol
    but yr art has been good from what u told me and you have a great eye so fucking good luck to u mate
    better than dealing with plumbers mate lol
    must be great to have some one show u the propper machine set up , neiddle hang and skin depths etc top job

ink artists/shops recommendations?

hey ya'll,

looking to get some lettering done down my ribs but haven't checked out any shops yet as there seems to be so many options. looking to get it on the gold coast so it's close to home. can you recommend any artists or shops, or mention any places to stay away from?

cheers

Blog Entries
    this is the liner im rebuilding with new springs this thread has got me wanting to do some more lol
    still dont know what i can do with my leg tho. i have just got a set of front and back springs in diff gauges
    even tho with back and front adjustment not as needed but wanting to try dif gauges.

the rear on on this one is to soft and i cant get the throw i want at the speed i need

Blog Entries
    lance and azeral ? want to disign some thing around it lol just asking

Quote Originally Posted by ozzy1100 View Post
    lance and azeral ? want to disign some thing around it lol just asking
    Ill draw something up for ya, just give me an idea what you're looking for.

I got this far on the zombie chick on Tans leg before we both got tired and pissed.. still, its a start..

Blog Entries
    shit i like that mate good design and great use of colour and shade
    did u lay the shade down first, over top or use mixed darker green
    the shades really bring it to life mate very cool
    as for my calf i dont know what to do with it just seams to look bare in colour like that
    he is a japanise anime character spike spiegel from a very cool serise cowboy bebop
    they are space bounty hunters and has great imargery and other cool characters but couldnt find any right for back fill and didnt nes want a thymed backing dont know really he just really is a fucking uber kool dude lol
    had thought of norm colour fill in waves like most others even geometric designs etc but havnt found the right look yet so fucked if i know lol sorry hard to help when i dont even know what way i want to go sort of thing that when i see it ill know it lol

Japanese sunrise with the red rays would compliment that really well.
    Ill see if i have an example

Blog Entries
    sweet thanks mate

Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    Japanese sunrise with the red rays would compliment that really well.
    Ill see if i have an example
    Thats sorta what i was thinking. The red rays n some traditional water would look pretty cool I rekon.

shit big change lance lol
    but yr art has been good from what u told me and you have a great eye so fucking good luck to u mate
    better than dealing with plumbers mate lol
    must be great to have some one show u the propper machine set up , neiddle hang and skin depths etc top job
    cheers mate!
    Yep, its something I'v always wanted to get into but really wanted to go about it the proper way! Gettin caught doin home jobs in a small town like mine can be career ruining & finger breaking! Machine set up n skin depth are the biggest things hey. Being taught rather than finding out the hard way is heaps better!
    Havnt been at the plumbing supplies for a little while now, they went tits up last september. Unfortunately a tattoo apprenticeship isnt something u get paid to do, so Im doing it part time after work n on my days off. Workin in a furniture store at the moment, its doin my head in but at least it pays the bills till Im good enuf to start charging for my tattoo work!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boosh84 View Post
    hey ya'll,

looking to get some lettering done down my ribs but haven't checked out any shops yet as there seems to be so many options. looking to get it on the gold coast so it's close to home. can you recommend any artists or shops, or mention any places to stay away from?

cheers
    My ex raved about the artist in Cavill Ave, upstairs on the corner above thew kebab joint at the town end of the mall. This was 12 years ago though, so may be useless info now?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fight_fan View Post
    cheers mate!
    Yep, its something I'v always wanted to get into but really wanted to go about it the proper way! Gettin caught doin home jobs in a small town like mine can be career ruining & finger breaking! Machine set up n skin depth are the biggest things hey. Being taught rather than finding out the hard way is heaps better!
    Havnt been at the plumbing supplies for a little while now, they went tits up last september. Unfortunately a tattoo apprenticeship isnt something u get paid to do, so Im doing it part time after work n on my days off. Workin in a furniture store at the moment, its doin my head in but at least it pays the bills till Im good enuf to start charging for my tattoo work!
    well i think u should be set, yr art is good and like i said u have a great eye and taste that is the stuff that cant be shown u have to find yrself. shit and quess we do what we have to to get by ..........
    one thing that people like azrael and myself have going for us is that our jobs teach us how to keep a steedy hand under the stress that u only get one go at it but really that comes with exp and any 1 can do that lol
    is the shop where u doing app more new skool in set up or old skool . do they show u by feel or letting u see things like cylces per sec under throw etc. makes no dif to the outcome of the tatts some old skool blokes set up by feel and sound and their work is amazing. i just love the tec side as well lol

The shop is farely new skool. My mate that works there is pretty old skool tho, even tho he's only 26! Machine set up is more by feel. That said the artists there use rotary machines instead of the old fashioned coils n the power supplies are pretty tech 2! I'l be lookin at gettin a machine at the nxt tattoo convention in sydney & will be after a rotary too. Heaps more adustable, less vibes n quieter too! They dont really pack out as much of a punch as the coils tho... it is all very interesting tho! Im really enjoying my time there!

Blog Entries
    i bet u haveing a ball lol
    most blokes i see that use the rotarys only use them for lineing cause not enough grunt for bigger shade >9 things like 14 mag etc
    i was so much happer when i got the better power surply just for that fact of the feed back that knowing what is going on gives u
    in the shop u will have blokes showing u what to look for and feel , the style of figure 8 that the front bar should look like etc
    i dont have that just some reading and forums on speed etc so i love the read out on the power surply....
    my liner was to slow at 115 cps and not enough thro so to get depth sometimes i would snag if i was carefull.
    for yr 1st did they have u ride the tube or standard hang the neddle for the out line ? i did some blood lines and could never get used to ride the tube i like to see the skin, but have to say much easer when starting out to get that good consitant outline as takes away the worry about detph.

Blog Entries
    and boys where do u think the rays center would look best and would u show any of the red round or just have it behind with only the rays showing and how would u think to do the water lance

most blokes i see that use the rotarys only use them for lineing cause not enough grunt for bigger shade >9 things like 14 mag etc
    I think my mum uses rotaries for everything now... i could be wrong though.

Google search Hokusai for the waves! Im really into super traditional japanese style tho! & I would have the centre of the sun jst behind his head on the R/H side & up a bit (if that makes sense)

For my 1st I let the needle hang full length. Whilst dropping the tube can limit ur depth, it also makes it impossible to see the needle! This can cause probs as the needle doesnt always exit dead centre of the tube meaning ur line wont always be where u expect it to be! So I went by feel & sight, just took my time & it turned out fine. The boys at the shop shade with anything up to a 17mag on the rotaries. Its true they dont have as much grunt. Seems to do the job tho! Guess it jst comes dwn to what ur used to!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by xa-mont View Post
    I think my mum uses rotaries for everything now... i could be wrong though.
    i like the layering yr mum used on yr arm mate its what i was saying about the art i can shade between the lines but when u can make it live like that fuck it just works

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fight_fan View Post
    Google search Hokusai for the waves! Im really into super traditional japanese style tho! & I would have the centre of the sun jst behind his head on the R/H side & up a bit (if that makes sense)

For my 1st I let the needle hang full length. Whilst dropping the tube can limit ur depth, it also makes it impossible to see the needle! This can cause probs as the needle doesnt always exit dead centre of the tube meaning ur line wont always be where u expect it to be! So I went by feel & sight, just took my time & it turned out fine. The boys at the shop shade with anything up to a 17mag on the rotaries. Its true they dont have as much grunt. Seems to do the job tho! Guess it jst comes dwn to what ur used to!
    funny u should say hokusai lol i watched a doco on his wood block prints and found it amazing and what was that in the late 1700s or some thing
    and yer im with u i couldnt get my head around not seeing the neddle on the line oh and a hint for new people dont put the fucking thing upside down lol yes i did that the 1st time on shit drunken one on ex,s arse means if u do any work other than stright up the ink rans off the sharp bits doh patchy
    i like the look of the stelth 2 rotory and y wouldnt u if i works that well but for people like me the prob isnt the gear lol and fuck 17 mag is a lot of steel to push
    i just had a play with the japanise rays idea with some pen just to get a idea and found a manga cell type piece in goolge that i thought might work tell me what u think dont now what the backing colour should be and a few rays are out but just wanted to see if it would work

dont know what type of fill to use on out side or if it will be strong enough by its self

Ive gotten two tats thus far with a few basic ideas on what I want next. On my next visit to Brissy, I will go back to the guy that did my last tat and get him to fill in a bit more around the edges to make it more of a sleeve instead of a arm tat as such.

My first tat was a bit of a butcher job, but only cause the tattooist dug in the needles a bit too deep etc. One day I will get it redone better.

Jarrod

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast