Thread: First fighter build - 2007 YZF R6

Pizza delivery boy/girl

First fighter build - 2007 YZF R6

So, a few years ago i had a bit of a high speed disagreement with a stubborn fence. No major injuries but it left me a little shaken up and the bike in need of some serious TLC.

I garaged my bike and got a new job, lady, house etc and it pretty much went on the back burner.

A few months ago my testicles miraculously grew back and the need to own and ride a motorcycle again became a burning desire.

Not having the necessary knowledge or skill to know how much damage I took it to the bike doctor on Scarborough beach road for an assessment of the damage

(I imagine that i will be ridiculed for not stripping it back to its frame and using nothing but the power of my mind and a tooth brush for not doing this myself, but be gentle, its my first time also i don't have a shed yet)

Anyway, it came back with a few problems, fairing were toast along with the radiator, lights, fans and basically anything in front of the forks, also the front wheel was buckled.

I asked them to sort out the wheel which they did for a very reasonable price, replace the radiator and make sure the bike was sound mechanically while i decided its fate.

I was leaning towards throwing a race fairing on it and becoming a weekend warrior when i randomly saw a few street fighters and decided to commit.

I asked Steve from TBD if he could throw on a few headlights and indicators so i could ride it again and he managed to pull some slick work which i really like.

So: End rant;

The bike at the moment:

So, now that i have gotten this far i plan to do the rest myself.

At this stage I need to get drill the triple clamp, source some bars and levers and bring mount all its peripherals on said bar.

Buy new cables and extend the wiring to its new position.

Relocate the radiator overflow and the part of the wiring loom that has a giant heatsink attached to it, that i don't even know what it does.

Once i have that complete i will sort out the OEM exhaust and get it on the road.

after that? who knows. i have always been attracted to the sound of turbos on bikes

So perhaps my first step is to educate myself on such things as hiding a loom etc, any hints on where i can locate this sort of education would be appreciated.

Also, i made the completely newbie mistake of letting the Rego run out when it was shelved, so i will need to put it over the WA pits, if anyone has any advice on whether i should do that before i start rewiring etc or point me to modification guide lines in WA that would be sweet.

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder
    do rego before you go to far and then go to town as for hidden wiring and everything else take one step at a time do it yourself or grab a mate and ask questions there aint much these guys havnt done and know how and knowledge is all over this site ive only been here for about a year now and these guys are a top bunch of blokes only to willing to give advice or a helping hand.

I agree with pav69 great bunch of guys here and any problems ask them they always seem to have the answers.

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    so after reading the NATIONAL CODE OF PRACTICE for LIGHT VEHICLE CONSTRUCTION and MODIFICATION SECTION LL MOTOR CYCLES & THREE WHEELED VEHICLES

I have found no enlightenment. My question to the Perth based peeps is that, would i fail getting it licensed with all the exposed wiring and overflow on the side of the bike or not?

The reason being as soon as it passes i will have to adjust all the wiring again when i start modding.

thoughts?

Bloke with a smaller stick BANDITROD's Avatar
    Pm Rockhard mate he will get you sorted good looking jigger BTW

Glenn Eason drinks and smokes and lends his arse to other blokes

Good looking bike mate, get your rego sorted and get her on a diet!!!

and pics, lots of pics.....

its good to see another R6 up here!

ASF Premium Full Member fimpBIKES's Avatar
    ooh this reminds me of that awesome two-wheel-drive turbo r6 that was in streetfighters a while back
    anyone got the feature? thats one of my top fighters of all time
    Rev the fucker!!!!!

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	moto master brakes.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	932

Have a look at these sexy beast rotors from moto-max.

Anyone ordered from them before? or know if they are any good?

Bloke with a smaller stick BANDITROD's Avatar
    i have seen a few bikes with them fitted and i have never heard anything bad about them

Glenn Eason drinks and smokes and lends his arse to other blokes

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    Quote Originally Posted by 1CY-R6 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	moto master brakes.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	932

Have a look at these sexy beast rotors from moto-max.

Anyone ordered from them before? or know if they are any good?
    looks like bens buzz saw's ,they do!!
    BUT NO WERE AS GOOD as bens ones

ASF Premium Full Member fimpBIKES's Avatar
    they are motomaster rotors
    used them for 1000's of km on tl, highly recommended
    Rev the fucker!!!!!

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    link to the buzzsaws, i tried googling them with no luck.

Quote Originally Posted by ALBI View Post
    looks like bens buzz saw's ,they do!!
    BUT NO WERE AS GOOD as bens ones
    Ha Ha thanks Albi but I'm not doing them anymore.

hey as for rego id just make it look neat and any brackets that may stick out and sharpish objects attached make sure there removed or sorted but as long as all the lights work and mirrors are there it should pass the pits , original rear fender is a must there picky on that and noise

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Yeah, i will leave the stock exhaust on for it. and then its for the bin. If you check out the first pic you can see the heat-sink I am worried next to the left fork. I might just give it a go and see what happens.