Thread: New guy from Memphis

inline4

New guy from Memphis

Hi mates!
    I've been lurking for a while so I thought I would say Hello.
    I'm a 54 y/o transplanted Texan that has been living in the Memphis, Tennessee area for the last 14 years.
    I'm building a streetfighter based on a 1974 Kawasaki Z1A. I'll be asking many questions from you guys.
    Here is a pic of how the KZ is now. Details to come later.
    Jim

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder
    howdy tex

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    Hey Jim! Welcome to the site mate! Look forward to seein some progress build pics mate! Very cool!

G'day mate - welcome aboard. Sweet ride you are building there.

Bloke with a smaller stick BANDITROD's Avatar
    welcome aboard mate love ur sig and your z is coming along nicely by the looks of it keep up the good work

Glenn Eason drinks and smokes and lends his arse to other blokes

Blog Entries
    Hi Jim, welcome aboard mate. You've really gone to town on that Z haven't you?! A complete rebuild from the ground up I take it? That frame is showroom condition again. I'm curious as to what running gear your using - can't place it of the top of my head. The box section swinger with twin shocks - is that your mod or from a later model retro bike? The Z is one of my favourites mate so more details and photos are a must for me. Cheers Jim - nice bike.

Bloke with a smaller stick BillyWhizz888's Avatar
    Elvis has entered the building....

Sorry mate, Welcome to the madness [8D]
    Fcuk Off Ya Twat

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Thanks for the warm Aussie welcome everyone.
    Here are a few details. The bike was given to me by a dear friend. It had been sitting outside, unprotected from the elements for more than 10 years.[:0][:0]
    After stripping every nut and bolt off the frame I had it powdercoated a smokey chrome color. It has a complete front end from a 1990 ZX11C; with a top clamp from LP USA that allows the use of standard 7/8" handlebars.
    The rear consists (consisted) of a boxed aluminum swingarm from a 'zuki GS1100E. Not only does/did it look trick as hell, the arm is about 2" longer than the oem arm. The reason I'm stating the details in the past tense is that I gave up on the GS arm because I couldn't get the rear wheel/chain alignment issues figured out.
    For the last couple of weeks I've seriously considered just getting the front and rear suspension back to stock. But after seeing the great work you guys have done on your 'fighters, I have re-comitted myself to make this old Z a streetfighter.
    I have since acquired another 'suki arm from a GSX-R750. Today I took the swingarm pivot shaft to a machinist to re-make it short enough to fit the Z1 frame.
    The rear wheel is from a 1988 GSX-R1100; the brake is from a Katana.
    Come September this project will be FOUR FRIGGIN' years old!!!!!
    Thanks for all the inspiration I've seen on this site. As I said earlier, you guys have made me re-dedicate myself to this project.
    I gotta tell you though, I have an insatiable desire to use laced/spoked rims on this baby. This is where all the questions will be directed.
    As far as the engine goes, it has 1015cc. 10.25:1 Wiseco pistons along with a pair of Kenny Harmon "D" grind cams. I was fortunate enough to find a "Kerker For Kawasaki" 4-into-1 exhaust that I had ceramic coated (inside and out) by a company here in the states.
    I have bought a COMPLETE new electrical system for her, including a main wire harness, new handlebar switches, headlight; also a complete Dyna S ignition with coils and wires.
    Needless to say this has been a money pit.[8D][8D] I'm so close to getting her finished. I simply can't give up now!
    Oh yea. I just got off work (wine business). Been drinking coffee all day, and since I got home I've had a couple glasses of that damned wonderful Aussie Shiraz. Tait BallBuster to be exact.
    This weekend I'll be posting in a more "coherent" state of mind.[]
    Again, Thanks for the welcome and your tolerence.
    Jim

Blog Entries
    Spokes hey? I'm guessing you've been checking out the post on this GSX14 in QLD then:

As for the alignment issues, there's always a way - may not be easy - but there's a way!

Top Notch Jim. Have another glass and enjoy

Bloke with a smaller stick
    Looks the goods so far Jim, keep up the good work mate.

"It's the eighties and I'm down with the ladies"

ASF Basic Full Member
    Howdy Jim.

Welcome to the nut house
    I taste so good you'l want the recipe.

Welcome Tex/Tennessee,nice project you got there.Always wanted one of those shaped kwackas and am still kicking myself for not buying one (shitbox that it was) for $500 a coupla years back.
    The pic above is the reason...one of the best looking bikes ever for mine.Only GSXRs look better methinks .
    Keep us posted with ya progress please.

Aussie Streetfighter Hooligan
    welcome jim mate [great name eh?] luvely bike ..dont give up mate i did on a bol'dor streetfighter last year and i wish i hadnt ....lol
    enjoy ...

Welcome Jim, love the zed keep up the good work keep the pics coming.

G'day & welcome Jim, you've got yourself a top start to a class 'Fighter with that there Zed (not Zee) 9. []
    I'd definately be going with spokes if you can source/afford them easily, they are the ultimate in oldskool cool.
    Keep the build pics coming.

Hi Jim,
    glad to see you made it over here from the KZR and cyclemadness forums
    Bike is looking great, love the old zeds. What size tyre were you running with the GS1100 swing arm?

ASF Standard Full Member
    Nice project the only secret needed is what do u say to the wife after 4yrs and lots money ? Best of luck and welcome aboard i had an old z1300 and wish now never got rid of and keep the updates comeing
    without pain you dont know your alive

Great project... they sure do look purdier than a groundhog on a BBQ when they are done. Excuse my pathetic attempt at US humour =D