Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 94 gsxr 750

diovol

94 gsxr 750

hi guys new to this whole forum thing so not really sure if im in the right room but i just bought a 94 gsxr 750 and a 97 1200 motor from a bandit , now of course im going to put the 97 bandit motor in the 94 gsxr frame and i was just wondering if anyone has done this and how hard it is...

Thank you

ASF Depleted Uranium Member Large's Avatar
    Hi and welcome diovol.

The 12 will fit into a 750 frame with some messing around

(not sure if that's all 750 frames)

Edited- link provided for wrong year model[V]

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    Welcome mate, Where ya from?

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Im from canada. hopefully you guys dont mind that hahahaha

Bloke with a smaller stick
    your talking an oil cooled motor into a watercooled frame. not worth the hassel. use the search function and go back about 2-3weeks and it will all be explained there

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    yes im talking about a oil cooled bandit motor into a watercooled frame, i already bought everything so hopefully i can do it,,,

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    Haha, well you don't have much choice then do you. Good luck with it.

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    has anyone done it yet???? hoping for some advice

Blog Entries
    Yea, it's been done, but the preferred method is obviously oil cooled to oil cooled. Any pre 1992 model GSXR will just accept a bandit motor as straight bolt in replacement. The water cooled transplant is a whole different kettle of fish. I'm not sure of anyone here that has gone through with it due to the complicated nature of it, but if anyone knows it will probably be Deano.

There was a 750 (or maybe 1100) oil cooled frame kicking around here recently. For the sake of your hair density and vocal chords it might be a easier option to sell your frame and do the swap. the front will bolt straight in, the Bandit motor will bolt straight in and as far as I know the rear end will bolt straight in.

By the way, welcome aboard mate!

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    thank you...

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    quote:Originally posted by Deano

your talking an oil cooled motor into a watercooled frame. not worth the hassel. use the search function and go back about 2-3weeks and it will all be explained there
    deano i here your the man around here, so this is probably a question asked many time, can the swap be done and if you have any serious advice id appreciate it , id really like to do it without swapping frames...
    thank you

ASF Depleted Uranium Member Large's Avatar
    if you click on the link I posted 6 posts up you'll see Deano's answer to that question.

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    thanks large

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    one more thing does anyone know for sure if the swingarm and front end from a 94 which is a usd front end will bolt right onto a oil cooled frame...

Weekend Warrior
    Welcome aboard diovol....

Blog Entries
    I have a 92 front end on my 89 1100. The worst that could possibly happen in your scenario would be that you'd need the stem pushed out of the donor front end and yours pushed in. No major biggy. Front ends are simple. I also have a '91 750 with an 1100 motor (identical to the Bandit 12) in it. The only difference is the clearance at the top of the engine and the frame rails. I would suggest going pods as well as the airbox is a total bastard in the tighter area.

Bloke with a smaller stick
    front ends will fit but you will need he oil coole triple clamps. the stems are the same just the steering stops on the lower triple are different from oil to water cooled. you could weld bits onto your water cooled clamps but easier to swap them.

as for the rear end you need to check what diameter swingarm you have. the Australian release 94 mod had a larger swingarm pivot diameter (overbraced) than the earlier (banana) swingarm. the banana style arm will bolt straight into the oil cooled but the overbraced arm will have a larger pivot diameter so you will need custom bearing sleeves to sleeve the diameter down.

none of the body work will fit from the oil to water cooled so you will need oil cooled body work if you are using any fairings
    rearset assy are different
    exhaust systems are different.

wiring looms are different but water cooled can be made to work if you don't mind changing a couple of basic things.
    instruments are different but chances are you will match the instruments to the wiring loom, oil cooled gauges to oile cooled wiring loom etc.

if you have the earlier watercooled model without the overbraced swingarm then the guages mount off the bottom of the top triple clamp the same as the oil cooled. if you have the later watercooled the the gauges mount off the headlight bracket and then that would make it even harder to use the later w/c gauges on the oil cooled body work without running into clearance problems on lock to lock.

i also think that the ignition barrel assy is differnt aswell. so you will have to run the oil cooled top tripple and barrel to get that to work or else put the barrel elsewhere.

Blog Entries
    Why do I forget all the niggling little things? All those things you mentioned clear slipped my mind Deano. The stops on my bottom clamp I just did away with (and then eventually replace the entire trees), the subframe I binned to add the R1 tail so i didn't care, the tank I knew might be a problem but they're easy to come by, the ignition I did away with in favour of a remote unit, blah blah. I just think in bare bones terms as we all mod it anyway. Sorry if my information lead you astray diovol, but were you planning on doing a full on streetfighter effort or just making a bandit powered watercooled GSXR 750? If it's the latter then I guess you're back in the same boat.

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    thanks guys, some good guys over here, we dont have that where im from here in canada

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast