Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pulling Wheelies

red

Pulling Wheelies

I've just picked up a 2nd hand Firestorm and have started pulling wheelies on it. What I do is gas it, the front comes up, my arsehole puckers and I button off, and the front comes down again.

And the bike drops outa gear. Thats whats confusing me. I didn't think I was such a useless bastard that I was hitting the gear lever with my foot. I'm sure it's just dropping out of gear when I hit the deck again (note: gearbox is unloaded). Anybody find this happen to them, or am I just crap?

How many wheelies has that thing pulled before you got it.

Weekend Warrior
    Potentially 11,000km's worth of them... Doesn't make any noises or play up any other time though. I'm just thinking the shock of hitting the road again, with the gearbox unloaded, is knocking it outa gear.

Same gear every time?

Weekend Warrior
    Yeah, first.

Weekend Warrior
    undercut the gears

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    Bingo!

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder
    try it in 2nd and see what happens. or you can blip the throttle a bit on the way back down to soften the landing. You never want to slam the front end down if you can help it. YOur fork seals wont be long for this world if you do.

Weekend Warrior
    quote:Originally posted by davo

hahaa and u will snap frames and starve the engin of oil on those long wheelies

easy fix is dont put it down

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    i agree with davo's sentiments...

SUZUKI.... just about every stunt vid you see is jammed packed full of gixxers.. for one reason, they take abuse, crash well and just keep going :P

but as shift said... crack the throttle again on the way back down....much smoother landings, also put it in second ya skirt, its a 1000cc v twin, it'll come up in 2nd without hassels, hell even my sv650 does when ya dip the cluch some.

cheers.joe.

Weekend Warrior
    Oww gess lol

The Gixxers Suck for stunting there race bikes good for racing light frames that arnt made to take hits and the positioning of the oil pick up makes long hiway wheelies not good because of oil starvation ( unless u buy a modified pick up )

The most popular Stunt Bike By far is a Honda F4i because of there unbrakeablillity and smooth throtle responce ( not a crazy hit of Hp at the top end ) I have heard Firestorms are not that good dude to oil starvation as well but im not 100% on that one. In my opion ( and CP's ) V-twins twins and singles are easyier to stunt because of there smoother evener power delivery across the rev range and a larger amount of touque.

Gixxers make a very twitchy stunt bike (beacuse there so damn fast and powerfull) and one that will cost more to set up ( Modified oil pick up , reinforcing the sub frame and frame)

o and just for all of u that i know whould like to point out that i cant spell I KNOW thanks

Blog Entries
    Hey Carl. Don't think everyone here is on your back mate. I have no problem with you at all mate and I'm sure a load of others don't either. It's all good. I'll believe you on the stunting bikes as I don't know shit about its it's not my thing. You live and breathe it so why wouldn't I believe you??

Weekend Warrior
    Thanks man i like this fourm u guys are full of very very helpfull and there is lots of very good info on here. It could be to much grass / paranioa. But thanks man and dont worrie all the hating in the world couldnt get me off here [}]

quote:Originally posted by vtr420

and dont worrie all the hating in the world couldnt get me off here [}]

bugger

Thats a lota typing for sum1 that has no idea[)]sorry dude[B)]u eva been ta a race meet[?]do ya know who Mat Mingy is[?]dont mean ta sound like a dick but[)]subuki is the engine[)]
    quote:Originally posted by vtr420

Oww gess lol

The Gixxers Suck for stunting there race bikes good for racing light frames that arnt made to take hits and the positioning of the oil pick up makes long hiway wheelies not good because of oil starvation ( unless u buy a modified pick up )

The most popular Stunt Bike By far is a Honda F4i because of there unbrakeablillity and smooth throtle responce ( not a crazy hit of Hp at the top end ) I have heard Firestorms are not that good dude to oil starvation as well but im not 100% on that one. In my opion ( and CP's ) V-twins twins and singles are easyier to stunt because of there smoother evener power delivery across the rev range and a larger amount of touque.

Gixxers make a very twitchy stunt bike (beacuse there so damn fast and powerfull) and one that will cost more to set up ( Modified oil pick up , reinforcing the sub frame and frame)

o and just for all of u that i know whould like to point out that i cant spell I KNOW thanks

Storms make great stunt/fun bikes until you start 12's then then they surge and stall, and long/hard stoppies can make them stall aswell but once you get the hang of it you can flick the starter just before you touch down again

2nd gear 6grand and flick the clutch and your off, once you get the hang of the bike it will come up with a flick of the clutch anywhere for 20k upto about 110k ,over that and it struggles , I went 1 down and it made a hugh difference to both everyday riding and clowning around the I went +2 on the rear and it would lift in 3rd with the clutch when done right. I did plenty of longer wheelies and never had a problem with oil starving , but I did run about 400ml extra oil in it the bike has done 60000k+ without problem

I also set the suspension for my wieght replaced the fork oil with 10w and 20mm extra that helped stop the forks bottoming out even when slammed down and never had a leaking fork seal.

The frames and strong, the whole bike is put together really strong even after a low side at EC it hardly got any damage and road home
    I havent heard of a problem with jumping out of gear on a storm before but the fella's on www.ozfirestorm.com should be able to point you in the right direction
    I miss my storm

'Originally Posted by rock hard stock swingarms are for blokes with balls!! ha ha'

I would love to become a professional whistler. I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.

Yella turbo ZX7 Winner VCM Best Streetfighter and SOS encouragement award NFR 2011
    http://www.streetfighters.com.au/for...-s-ZX7-project

Weekend Warrior
    quote:Originally posted by mad mundy

Thats a lota typing for sum1 that has no idea[)]sorry dude[B)]u eva been ta a race meet[?]do ya know who Mat Mingy is[?]dont mean ta sound like a dick but[)]subuki is the engine[)]
    LMAo i have riden serveral times with team CAPA and am highly involved with the stunt scene in australia. Why whould i go to a race meet i ride stunt bikes not drag knee this is the stunt section what does race meets have to do with anything. Gixxers can be stunted matts gixxer has a oil mod and he has strenghened the frame and subframe. i have sat on mingays bike.

The information i gave u was all from sourses such as Darius, Nick Apex, Manny, E-dub Stuntlife.com, ftpstunts.com, ozstuntbikes.com, and stuntride.com

sorry dude i just stunt bikes hence it is what i know.

I have also had my picture in the stunt section of rapid magizine

All credit to you VTR420,i actually have full respect for what you do(even tho i love takin the piss).
    But,Red was asking questions about a Stock Firestorm road geared unless i'm mistaken again.Totally different to w/standin a stunter in 5th gear at 60K's.

I was mearly stating that the mighty Zuki comes standard with undercut rack,never had a problem with oil feed as i compromise levels to overcome the Vortex efect in the pick-up

Weekend Warrior
    nah im not trying to get in a argument here and thanks for the appreciation all i was saying was gixxers need some work to be a good stuntbike so in reality there not the best stuntbike...

i ride a 250 hence if u look at my first remark i had no answer to the problem he had.

BTW i am a bit drunk sorry lol[)]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast