Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: general guidelines for motorbike modifications NSW

Mate I think I'm gunna have a talk to you about my project.The Eng Cert's have got gobsmacked

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    Well , I've been through the process many times and next month am booking the XR600 rigid in to get done as well. So we'll sit down with some beer and I'll let you pick my brain .

quote:Originally posted by chopaweeza
    Righto . The tail height is too high . The rear guard doesn't cover 45 degrees rearward from the line of the axle , mirrors of a legalheight & size , Indicators that are E Stamped & 300mm apart(spacing have been changed recently apparently though) , E stamped headlight that has a seperate clear parker bulb , an E Stamped tail light , number plate light , number plate in the center line of the bike at the rear at an angle of less than 30 degrees , chain guard that covers 45 degrees rearward of the line of the axle , ADR compliant brake lines , 80Db exhaust , Speedo that is back lit & has a brake warning light & a Hi Beam warning light and a bunch of other stuff .
    I think you just described my bike. [:I]
    I must say though that it breezed through its blue slip inspection, every pink slip inspection since and survived a close inspection from the plod that followed me for a while and pulled me up in front of my house "just for a look".

If it is done right and looks half way decent, they will generally leave you alone.

Cheer's mate, I'll see ya Sunday and say G'day

It's a very fine line sometimes and it really does depend on the knowledge of the person that pulls you over . Thats why the RTA inspection taps they set up on popular bike roads are something to avoid at all costs . Getting a pinky if something looks sort of OK isn't an issue , getting a bluey if it looks OK & it's the same capacity engine can be not an issue either but getting an EC is tricky and you really need to know whats what or be prepared to spend alot of time & money getting jerked around . The trick with most fighters is making it look like a Blue Slip Inspector won't have anything to look further into . So , swapping parts over for the inspection , making bits that look good but aren't overly radical and other tricks will usually get you through without having to get an EC . With 711's bike it's a Private Import as well as all the rest so he can't use any of the tricks to just get it a Bluey as it has never been Australian Complianced or previously Australian registered . However , bring the bike in as parts , get an Australian complianced frame and with about 2 weekends work ........Mmmmmmmm just might work .

Too true.
    I avoided any work that required an EC for exactly that reason.

I thought the db sticker/stamp on exhausts was dismissed in 2006? Mainly because the stickers would wear off (dirt bikes).

They did however the requirement for Db rating when they EC still exists . They make you do runs at 5 different speeds going past a set point and it has to be within a set range to pass. One of the most common things they fail you on .

Weekend Warrior
    quote:Originally posted by chopaweeza

It's a very fine line sometimes and it really does depend on the knowledge of the person that pulls you over . Thats why the RTA inspection taps they set up on popular bike roads are something to avoid at all costs . Getting a pinky if something looks sort of OK isn't an issue , getting a bluey if it looks OK & it's the same capacity engine can be not an issue either but getting an EC is tricky and you really need to know whats what or be prepared to spend alot of time & money getting jerked around . The trick with most fighters is making it look like a Blue Slip Inspector won't have anything to look further into . So , swapping parts over for the inspection , making bits that look good but aren't overly radical and other tricks will usually get you through without having to get an EC . With 711's bike it's a Private Import as well as all the rest so he can't use any of the tricks to just get it a Bluey as it has never been Australian Complianced or previously Australian registered . However , bring the bike in as parts , get an Australian complianced frame and with about 2 weekends work ........Mmmmmmmm just might work .
    Thanks for all that mate, I dont want to sell it cos i built it and its been in the streetfighters mag too. Ive got 2 of these bikes and can only import 1 per year because of the visa im on.I did enquire about bringing the second one as parts which means take the forks,wheels and handlebars off. But the removed parts cannot be on the same vessel so it would cost more to ship over than get import approval.

Also thought about doing the frame swap as you said but ive altered the mounting lugs so id have to do all that again, and the people who i know in the uk i think will take a while to find in oz.

Im even considering leaving both bikes here for now and see if we like living in oz first. I know the advantages of living there as we were there last year but if the legistlation is gonna be communist style i think i would end up back here and put with 3 days sunshine a year.

Weekend Warrior
    I know were to get easy blue slip in blacktown this guy checks info and your off all he says to me is its just a fuckn bike hehehe.

Weekend Warrior
    quote:Originally posted by Davekwaka98

I know were to get easy blue slip in blacktown this guy checks info and your off all he says to me is its just a fuckn bike hehehe.
    Is blacktown in nsw if it is i may be calling on you bud.

Weekend Warrior
    quote:Originally posted by sfoc711uk

Fucks sake they dont want much do they, puts ya off even coming over there.

So go on hit me with it what does new construction involve and require then.
    BUMP

Weekend Warrior
    I know the bike im bringing may have the odd problem getting it registered but i think im gonna strip my second bike and bring the 1100m engine and running gear to build a fuck off hardtail chop. Whats it like for these in nsw. And keep the streetfighter of course just fancy another maybe.

ASF Depleted Uranium Member Large's Avatar

Fucks sake they dont want much do they, puts ya off even coming over there.

So go on hit me with it what does new construction involve and require then.
    BUMP
    I'm pretty sure new construction costs a fortune to run brake tests and other shit like emissions testing.

Don't sweat it too much mate. Roly (flatmate) got his turbo Ksomething 750 through on an engineers report.

Starts at about $250ish plus a hunge or so for each mod. He had heaps so cost him 2k. But he had to engineer motor/brakes/chassis/subframe/suspension/exhaust/ etc etc etc. It was like reading a little novela but the cast was AS numbers and the story was told in $. The difference was that he added heaps of shit, where you've removed heaps of useless stuff...and stuff that isn't there doesn't need to be engineered.

Bring ya sunscreen and sense of humour and you'll do ok bloke.

Weekend Warrior
    Cool mate that will do for me, gives me a bit more hope. As long as the ship dont sink with it on then ill be taking up scuba diving.

RevHead
    best option is to go and meet your local mechanic,who does blue n pink slips ,get to know these guys,im a mechanic n most of my mates have there rego ticket here in n.s.w ,i can get almost anything past for rego so long as the lights n blinkers ,horn work lol cheers

very handy,thanks

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123