Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: general guidelines for motorbike modifications NSW

New to Streetfighters
    quote:Originally posted by fimpBIKES

and they HATE shit thats been bought off eBay!
    Speaking of Ebay, did you guys see this?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWA:IT&ih=011

I still have the guy's phone number but haven't been able to see it yet. Changing out a frame sounds like a looooot of work though.

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Hi Paul,
    I just read your post and am wondering if you might have any info regarding the engineering inspection/approval procedures for an icv motorcycle.The project bike will be a trellis frame litre sportsbike with a hossack style front end.Frame,front end,swingarm and body work will be fabricated by myself,the rest will be from a donor bike,R1,GSXR 1000 etc.I realise this is a monster project and engineers approvals will run into the thousands if not tens of,but what is the process that you know of?I have approached a few engineers in Melbourne here with differing responses.They weren't interested in CAD drawings or sketches.This project differs from others in that it has non telescopic fork front end and this may give them grief.Of course it would be far easier and cheaper to build a track-only machine but having it street registered is the whole point.NSW may differ from Vic slightly but I' imagine that it'd be covered by a common federal law.Any info would be greatly appreciated cheers rich

quote:Originally posted by FAT460

Yeah Large what you have there are the current guidlines. Basically what is there is classed as owner approved modifacations and anything else/more major requires engineer certification for rego. The one at the top of the post is an extract from there guide to light vehicle modifacation which relates to cars only. I have a full hard copy of this guide which covers everything you can and can't do so if anyone wants some info sing out. I'm licensed to do NSW pink and blue slips inc write offs etc if anyone gets stuck or is being dicked around for a rego. Also have a list of approved NSW engineering signatories if anyone needs to know.

Paul.

Blog Entries
    Make two more posts on the forum and you'll be able to email Paul directly through his profile mate. He hasn't been around for a little while but will be glad to help.

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    no worries cool thanks

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    quote:Originally posted by Gix11

I think this is similar to the QLD one submitted. Large found this one.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registrati.../vsi/vsi06.pdf
    just tried the link and the RTA have "moved or deleted" it. anyone got a copy of the current one or a new link? please

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    I'd also love to know the go with mods in more detail.
    I'm thinking of having a tank made, but until i know the legalities,
    I'm kinda stuck. I'm having an attack of "while it's of the road" at the moment. Harley Gavidsons seem to mod however they want and get away with it. Please help me.

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Bump

Weekend Warrior
    What would it take to make this legal to use in Nsw,as i dont have lights on for the uk.

ASF Premium Full Member

Everything you'd probably need for a car in the UK. Lights, indicators, horn, dB rating of the exhaust...

Pretty broad question without knowing the bike.

And Res, if the RTA don't know it's been modified, they're not going to complain about your mods, are they?
    more titanium than my bike

Weekend Warrior
    So just throw some lights on for the test and play dumb and reckon on its standard and dont tell em ive built it.The exhaust is loud but reckon on thats standard too?.

Is the rta the same sort of thing as our uk mot yearly check.

RTA = <s>The NSW Scumbag Govt Dept designed to raise revenue from bikes and trucks </s> Road and Transport Authority. Yes the annual pink slip is the equivalent of your yearly MOT check...

Weekend Warrior
    blue slipped mine last thursday and the mechanic checked that the lights worked and took down the frame and engine numbers.didnt start it or ride it.guess it depends who does the bluey.

Anyone have an idea about the go with capacity increases...or just play dumb ?

15% is allowable if they are from the same manufacturer and there are no frame changes . Any more is an Engineers Certificate. But there are several other bits as well . The exceptions are a series of 70's & 80's 250's that were also the basis of a series of 400's . IE. CB250 , XS250 , Z250 and GSX250

So the gixxer in the CB is going to need an Eng Cert

Shit yeh . But , there are a pre-established set of requirements they need to pass something like that and that the Engineers typically follow. You have to upgrade - Brakes , Suspension and brace the frame for starters

But , it's easier to get that EC'd then to get many other things done. Very much a formula but not that difficult once you understand the ground rules .

quote:Originally posted by sfoc711uk

What would it take to make this legal to use in Nsw,as i dont have lights on for the uk.

Righto . The tail height is too high . The rear guard doesn't cover 45 degrees rearward from the line of the axle , mirrors of a legalheight & size , Indicators that are E Stamped & 300mm apart(spacing have been changed recently apparently though) , E stamped headlight that has a seperate clear parker bulb , an E Stamped tail light , number plate light , number plate in the center line of the bike at the rear at an angle of less than 30 degrees , chain guard that covers 45 degrees rearward of the line of the axle , ADR compliant brake lines , 80Db exhaust , Speedo that is back lit & has a brake warning light & a Hi Beam warning light and a bunch of other stuff . Now , if you wanted to register it as the original year of manufacture you have to take it all back to stock including the exhaust(And I do mean as it left the factory for the entire bike) with particular attention to the stock carby's & air cleaner. Easier to have it complianced as a new construction .

Weekend Warrior
    Fucks sake they dont want much do they, puts ya off even coming over there.

So go on hit me with it what does new construction involve and require then.

Sounds like alot and yeh it is but it's doable. Easiest way to pass it is to buy a complete tail end off a stocker that one of this lot had carved off , make mounts to bolt it onto your frame , extend the rear guard to be legal if necessary , borrow an E Stamped headlight/blinkers/tail light , add a stock exhaust , quieten the motor right down and the rest is as I've said previously. When done convert it mostly back to the way it was but make sure you have 2 mirror's & a working headlight or you are sure to be pinched everytime you pass a police car . It is alot simpler to sell it in the UK and buy one out here instead though. They make it that way on purpose . Getting a bike like this through Engineers Certification will cost anywhere from $1500 -8000 depending on who does it and the tests they want to perform on it. Most are around the $2000 mark and involve brake tests & noise run tests . Some however will have the frame Xrayed at about $3000 and some will do Frame Stress Load testing at about $2-3000 as well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast