Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: general guidelines for motorbike modifications NSW

Blog Entries

general guidelines for motorbike modifications NSW

I think this is similar to the QLD one submitted. Large found this one.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registrati.../vsi/vsi06.pdf

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Only thing you need to be legal on the roads here are a headlight and a working tail light plus Rego and that shit. The fuzz really don't pay much heed to that stuff anyway. Rode my CBR all season with only a head and tail light, no speedo, no cluster at all...bare bones.

Think I may have a part time job before I get back into school so I figure I'll get rolling on the CB 750 trike. Streetbike VIN makes it all nice and legal. haha

[8D]Ive been trying to get this info for some time & thank you Si,but wot i cant work out is the table that has the formula regarding engine capacity[}]
    any takers

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder
    Ignore it perhaps. I would go with the 15% increase rule that im sure is still around.

My calcs are that all us boys on 200kg bikes should be using 500cc supercharged engines or a 600cc stoker - ummm which would I use. I dont get it either. Maybe the chart was for allowable increase in engine capacity so my B12 can be a B18! - not likley

Weekend Warrior
    I'm sure my z750 would look great with a hair dryer hanging off the front or a blower under the seat.... hehee. only problem is the bike would be off the road for too long.......

ASF Depleted Uranium Member Large's Avatar
    Just found this. Dated 1998 but some interesting (funny) stuff about mudguards and sissy bars lol

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registrati.../vsi/vsi28.pdf

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Yeah Large what you have there are the current guidlines. Basically what is there is classed as owner approved modifacations and anything else/more major requires engineer certification for rego. The one at the top of the post is an extract from there guide to light vehicle modifacation which relates to cars only. I have a full hard copy of this guide which covers everything you can and can't do so if anyone wants some info sing out. I'm licensed to do NSW pink and blue slips inc write offs etc if anyone gets stuck or is being dicked around for a rego. Also have a list of approved NSW engineering signatories if anyone needs to know.

Paul.

Blog Entries
    So that's cars only then Paul? No bike stuff?

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Yeah Si the top one with the engine swap formulas etc is for cars. The actual folder I got from the RTA is quite large and covers cars/bikes/caravans/trailers and specific mods like limo's and dual control cars etc. The top one here is an exert from the car section and the bike one put up by Large is pretty much all there is for bikes. The things like mudguards and handlebars etc are all current. From what I've come accross in the past the cops don't know a whole lot but the headaches come from rego time. There are ways to get around most things that won't hurt you or your rego man but it depends how helpfull your rego man is. I can scan all the bike stuff and post it if its of any help. Cheers.

Paul.

ASF Depleted Uranium Member Large's Avatar
    Hi Paul,

I'd be interested in seeing the bike specific stuff.

Would it be available on the RTA website?

Cheers

Rich

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Yeah mate it should be there. Info is a bit hard to find on there sometimes as there is a massive amount of info on that site. I grabbed my copy from the workshop today and hopefully will have it scanned and posted over the weekend.

Paul.

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    Hey Paul give me a call sometime.

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Will do mate. Look forward to catching up soon.
    Paul.

New to Streetfighters
    Hi,

First post, hope you can help.

I've been riding a motard for a few years (i think you have a spec sheet on it in your gallery actually) and will be upgrading to a street fighter soon. I was hoping to buy a crashed bike from auction and street fighter it. I kind of know what i'm doing as i street fightered my flatmates bike for him when he crashed it a few months ago, but the reregistering bit is new to me.

Question is, can you reregister a bike in NSW on the WOVR in streetfighter form or do you have to put all the fairings back on and fix it to "stock" form?

I don't want to go to all the effort of fixing a bike only to find i can't reregister it. Has anyone got a similar list for NSW to the one posted for reregistering a written off bike QLD that i saw on this forum? It liiked really helpful.

Thanks for any help.

Tom.

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    It doesn't need to be back to stock, as long as it complies with all relevant regulations ie: E stamped lights, 300mm indicator spacing,mirrors etc... & you need recipts for everything you've replaced so they know it's not been done with stolen parts, & for any work you've paid for. Leave the stock exhaust on if you can till it's passed.
    Once you've got your blue slip & green slip & you go to the registry, you will probably get sent for an ID check. This has replaced the "Pits" & they basicly check that all the numbers on the bike match the documentation you've supplied & look for restamped numbers.

ASF Premium Full Member fimpBIKES's Avatar
    and they HATE shit thats been bought off eBay!

check out my TLR's built thread and u'll see what she looked like when i got it passed rego,
    farrr from stock looking (but all legal, sorta, enough...)
    Rev the fucker!!!!!

New to Streetfighters
    Thanks, had a look at your thread fimp, very helpful. I had to go through that identity check thing with my current bike cause i bought it unregistered from Victoria. What a nightmare, trying to organise the greenslip to correspond with the rego date and receipts! everyone wanted the originals! 3 different departments told me i had to give THEM the original copies of all my receipts? how does that work, i only have 1 original copy? idiots.

I guess the next step is to pick up something at an auction and start wrenching on it.

By the way, whats an "E stamped light" are the cheapo Acerbis style twin halogens e stamped?

New to Streetfighters
    One more thing, are you allowed to drill bar clamps into a stock triple clamp, or do you need to buy a new top triple?

Blog Entries
    Drilling is no problem mate as long as you do it sensibly.

E Stamp? Look for this stamp on the actual light unit mate:

ASF Premium Full Member fimpBIKES's Avatar
    i dont think it has to be "e-stamped" basically u just need to have a seperate park-light bulb yeah?

fuck-nose why, cos most bikes have the lows wired to the ignition anyways....
    Rev the fucker!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast