Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: cant wheelie

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder
    thats a good video, thanks

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    quote:Originally posted by vtr420

So Fimp u went to stuntskills nice hahaha and u know Ned are u a stunter in hiding

Im just saying benifits of clutching - if your in a 60km zone or a 110 zone u with traffic 30m infrount of u u can clutch eaither 1st or 2nd straght to bp and be riding along with said traffic at 60km for 1st and 110 km for second and thats fucking cool!! Now if u were to do a Power wheelie from 60km u would have ended up rear ending the car 30m away or better yet finally got Bp at 160km which isnt really Bp its just at that speeds there is wind resistance slowin the bike and keeping it up as well and when u get caught buy the cops u get done for Neg Riding and Speeding hmmmm

Here Clutchy Clutchy Clutchy
    ok.. now i know your a knob.

doing that shit with cars around, and "30 meters away" is just plain stupid.

i dont do wheelies, not my kettle of fish i have tried them before... the clutch it up, left me running down the road watching my bike cart wheel.. yeah bloody great! next, bigger bike, more grunt, used power instead.

rolled along just in peak torque rpm, snaped throttle shut, then using the bounce of the forks, pulled back and snapped the throttle open, came up a lot easier and more slowly.

use power on the wheelies if ya have it, its more stable predicable and safer (provided your not a dickhead like old mate im quoting and attempt them in traffic)

like boh said theres plenty of places north brissie side you can practice, get comfy with the wheel lofting and coming up, get to know how the bike reacts with your imputs.

getting out there, pulling the clutch pegging it to 8k then dumping it on a litre bike is a sure fire way of a noob throwing his bike down the road.

cheers.joe.

if you have any spare $ loocy brucy(could help myself!) is right in regards to learning on a traily however i also find 1st or 2nd gear roll ons the easiest. the clutch thing is definately a touch scarey and hard on the gear with the slaming back to earth.

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    I'm just goin through the learning stages myself and I find that it is easier/less harsh to power up the front, I can get the front to lift from as low as 4,000 revs, which is far easier to control a 929 at...

I've tried the clutch method and it was just too quick for me - obviously for the more experienced that would probably be easier and more consistent, but I wouldn't recommend for a newbie...

Matt, as for the Z1000 it should come up easily by revving to about 4-5000 - then shut off throttle - then quickly open again, with practice this will work... I used to have a 2000 ZR-7 and it worked with that so you should have no problems...

Just practice and start off small and keep it shiny side up...

i find power wheelies really bad because you dont have that instant control like a clutch up. you dont have to pin anything, you rev it a little bit and let the clutch out and see what happens. then you increase the revs and keep going. if you take it slowly you dont fall on your arse. power wheelies are more of a screw it on and see thing for me. bad idea[]

have to agree on davo on this , i'm only just starting to grow balls and power stands are the only way to go , start out small stuff not 3k runs , get used to the felling like your going off the back and then look at your clutch , we have all being there myself not to long ago and you'll get there ,

ps don't forget ya gear , road hurts.
    pps then againg you may like the street cred , but i like my skin on me

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    A bloke on another site (Buell) reckons it's easy to get it up but keeping it up is the trick. Too lazy to cutnpaste his quote.
    With my old girl I can take her to 4 1/2 in second, pull the clutch in without throttling off (mind over matter) and letting go. Up she comes, piece of piss. The other way is move off, clutch in big grunt drop clutch and grunt grunt grunt. Magic. I'm only average at present but working on it. My best ones are when I'm not thinking about it and just do it.When I'm not in the groove I leave it out. I reckon a good wheelie is almost as good as a good root. I said almost.

end result .... have fun matt and keep practising everything takes time

New to Streetfighters
    mate since stripping my bike down it pops on the back wheel if I just stab it at 6000rpm - easy as

I find clutching it up more predictable and easier to control both standing and sitting it . I use to power up 1st or 2nd gear roll off and pin and bounce but I found it hit and miss and by the time the front wheel was up I was going way to fast. I found clutching it up I could clutch it and only increase speed by 20/30k at most and have the front at the height I want at most speeds upto 110 freeway wheelies . It was a little hard on the bike while I was learning but I never stuffed the clutch and once I had it down it is really easy on it, no harder than a hardish launch at the lights. I learnt on a VTR1000 storm but now I clutch everything from 250's to 1100's without much trouble . Im not saying I a wheelie god just what I have found whilst learning wheelies. If you have never done a wheelie before it may be good to try little power wheelies so you can get the feeling of the front coming up it will feel like your going to flip even when you are only 30cm off the ground.If you can get someone to phot or video you practicing , I use to shit that I was going over until I got someone to video me and I saw how low the front was [)] I thought back to all the times I pulled over and said to myself that was close when it was lucky to be off the road . One more thing dont try clutching up in 1ST only use 2nd 1st will be really harsh and jump up 2nd will come up smooth and still high enough

'Originally Posted by rock hard stock swingarms are for blokes with balls!! ha ha'

I would love to become a professional whistler. I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.

Yella turbo ZX7 Winner VCM Best Streetfighter and SOS encouragement award NFR 2011
    http://www.streetfighters.com.au/for...-s-ZX7-project

New to Streetfighters
    i had probs on my 9oo ninja!i kept trashin my bollocks when bringing it up.If you go on u tube and put in "how to pull wheelies",theres a couple of guys with some excellent tips and made it look like a piece of piss!i followed there advice and ive nearly mastered it.Mine comes up of the power but since it was jetted it comes up too fast and as i only weigh 10stone it comes up even quicker.Its well worth a look and i think anyone struggling will appreciate the video.Good luck

New to Streetfighters
    sorry for that!the sites google video.its from superbikes called "how to wheelie a motorcycle"Put that in the search bar and its the first one!ive been on so many sites for advice and tips i forgot the right one!Ive checked it and its the right one.

Maybe this will help.
    http://www.cbr600f4.com/secondary_pages/pguides.html
    Cant wait for:
    Coming Soon! Phuzzy's Guide to Proper Emergency Room Etiquette and Phuzzy's Guide to Picking up E.R. Nurses

Bloke with a smaller stick BillyWhizz888's Avatar
    I think you need a turbo fitted
    have a word with Rocket he cant keep the Blown12 down

hahahaha
    Fcuk Off Ya Twat

there are so many schools of thought here its really going to be what your comfortable with. I ride/wheelie alot of bikes and on my daily comute of 5 miles i spend atleast 1 mile up. On my drz400 i usually clutch up in 2nd just cause its an easier hit, i can carry it through 5th with no problem on that bike or rock it in gear. I can also power wheelie it but power wheelies take you up to speed very fast usually at or near redline which makes shifting much harder going from that first gear since your tranny is loaded pretty hard(which is a good way to loose 2nd). Clutch lets you hit the balance point at a much slower speed and also hits the balance point softer and with much more of the torque band left so you can short shift your next gear easier. Power wheelies are good for wide open areas where you can run out in the gears and have some room to find the balance point. The biggest problem with power wheelies and newb's is the rate at which it comes up. You need a handful on most bikes to get the front off the ground and most newb's keep it pinned and dont realize that once its up you need to start legislating the throttle quick so you dont loop out. For a new wheelier i suggest clutch up in second as it has much less potential to flip you then power ups. Thats not to say both dont have their fun. I rode motox for years and learned to wheelie on two strokes which is a whole different ball game. and having said that, 2strokes were the only bikes ive used the back brake for. on my drz i actually tuck my right foot under the brake lever while seated so i can get the front up higher.(seat is like a slide). Ive clutched up bikes with 200hp and ive powered up bikes with as little as 20(bouncing the front). body position, knowledge of the power band and commitment will make your wheelie. Power ups in 1st for beginners also have the potential for severe headshake if your not careful because most tend to start pulling harder on the right grip. Have fun with it but I would start out in second around 4k and start either double clutching( much softer) or just handful of throttle and dump the clutch. The rear brake really isnt needed if you can just chop the throttle. I havent met a wheelie that engine braking couldnt bring back yet(except those two strokes).

one thing i also want to note is steering a wheelie. Be careful with this but the gyro effect of the front wheel will lean the bike in a hurry. DONT crank your bars to the lock either direction while you are learning or you are in for a treat. I like sit down wheelies cause i can lean off the bike and stick my knees out to help steer the bike(bars left, lean right turn right). i dont much like leaning off the bike while standing cause its harder to recover should something go amiss at speed. but standing up makes your balance point lower.

HAVE FUN!

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/maperez/drz/wheelie1.ASF

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123