Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Waltari's 1982 Suzuki 1157 Katana Project

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    Bloody glad I didn't use those drawings when I was putting my Kat together. As it turns out I kept the GSX motor in anyways.....but I did download the drawings from OSS, thinking I had the oilcooled into aircooled changeover sussed.
    Great looking Kat Waltari, keep up the good work mate

quote:Originally posted by Benz

Bloody glad I didn't use those drawings when I was putting my Kat together. As it turns out I kept the GSX motor in anyways.....but I did download the drawings from OSS, thinking I had the oilcooled into aircooled changeover sussed.
    Great looking Kat Waltari, keep up the good work mate

Thanks...I'll be posting up GOOD dimensions in DXF, AP100, and JPEG formats (for those non tech people) as I get them done of the next week or two (whenever I can steal some time)

ASF Premium Full Member fimpBIKES's Avatar
    smart move

depending on your exhaust set-up extending the headers couldve caused clashed with your footpegs and your can-mount holes might not line up

best to start over, would appreciate if u could post up dimensions of what u go for in the end
    Rev the fucker!!!!!

Just keep in mind that moving the engine forward in the chassis will extend the chain length because it moves the front sprocket away from the swingarm pivot. This may give you some dramas with chains rubbing on your swingarm, chain stretching, etc under load.
    I've seen this with a 750EF motor in a Kat chassis - the chain would tighten up quite dramatically under load / shock compression (= quickly worn chains)

quote:Originally posted by fimpBIKES

smart move

depending on your exhaust set-up extending the headers couldve caused clashed with your footpegs and your can-mount holes might not line up

best to start over, would appreciate if u could post up dimensions of what u go for in the end
    HA...can mount holes line up....thats a good one, like I'd be using a stock exhaust of some kind Seriously though, I think it's the best route. Already got the kat stripped back down to frame and motor tonight. Tomorrow i'm going to mockup one set of the mounts and go from there. Definitely post up some drawings when I'm done and I KNOW they work

quote:Originally posted by Hillsy

Just keep in mind that moving the engine forward in the chassis will extend the chain length because it moves the front sprocket away from the swingarm pivot. This may give you some dramas with chains rubbing on your swingarm, chain stretching, etc under load.
    I've seen this with a 750EF motor in a Kat chassis - the chain would tighten up quite dramatically under load / shock compression (= quickly worn chains)
    Already considered that but you're right, it could be a concern. Took measurements tonight and everything will work fine for where I plan on placing it. Luckily I never cutout the links or installed the masterlink on my brand new chain so the little extra length needed is not a problem and angles will all still be good.

Weekend Warrior
    well done, its looking good, i especially like the screen,
    any more update pics?/

quote:Originally posted by hmmmnz

well done, its looking good, i especially like the screen,
    any more update pics?/
    Update pics??? Just posted the last ones a few days ago Current update...bodywork is being dropped off with my painter tomorrow, I've got the bike stripped back down to frame/motor/suspensions and I ripped out the lower motor mounts to mill some new ones that reposition the engine forward about an inch. Once I have those, this weekend I'll install them and take dimensions for the otehr new ones. Painter needs the bodywork for about 3 weeks so by then I should have the new mounts made, powder coated, installed and the rest of the wiring done.

Dropped off the bodywork with the painter today. Should have it back in three weeks Made the new lower mounts out of 6061 yesterday...plan on installing them this weekend so I can take the dimensions for the otehr 6 plates.

Stopped by my painter this afternoon to check out and approve final bodywork prior to him starting the actual painting. Mainly he was going to even out the gap around the vortex fuel cap base as the gsxr filler I transplanted had a decent and slightly uneven gap from the factory.

I think Robert did a killer job of reducing it and evening it out. Tank looks rough as it has a primer and guide coat on it and still requires the final block sanding but I approve and the applying of color should start this weekend.

Here is how the tank started out life....

And here it is as of today....

Last edited by waltari; 05-11-2013 at 01:32 PM.

Weekend Warrior
    That is absolutely outstanding mate I love what you are doing.
    I am hanging out to see her finished.

Blog Entries
    Fuck yea. This thing is great mate, every bit you add impresses me.

quote:Originally posted by Gix11

Fuck yea. This thing is great mate, every bit you add impresses me.
    Thanks M8...I'll be impressed when I'm riding it![8D] Trying to get together the last order or misc small bit and bobs (fuel tap gasket, etc) I'll need for final assembly so it'll all be here when I get the bodywork back. Glad you guys like it...I'm liking it more more even every time I walk into the shed!

Blog Entries
    i love the filler update looks so much beter with the lip too
    going well waltari

So what does this have to do with my katana?

Well that would be the color of the silver...2001 Ferrari Alpine Silver metalic...picked the colors a few days ago...never knew there was so many silvers to choose from. Most of the bikes my painter does are high end Italian jobs so naturally this was one of the colors he had in stock. Looks great in person! Not long now!!!

Not alot new other than I got my "second" set of motor mounting plates back from the powder coaters and got them installed. Now I'm working on routing the wiring and getting the carbs jetted before the bodywork come back this coming week (or sooner I hope)

Got my paint back last night...looks great in person especially in the sunlight. Ummm Ferrari Silver....graphics should be here in a day or two...finishing up the wiring between getting sidetracked and then on it goes! Here's a peak...

Last edited by waltari; 05-11-2013 at 01:33 PM.

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    thats looking great hangin to see how she looks on the bike thats come up a treat

Blog Entries
    Fucking love that colour mate! It's a perfect colour for that bike. What colour are the decals going to be?

Yeah - great colour. And didn't that filler cap turn out well!!.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast