Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Gixxer streetfighter build

Bloke with a smaller stick 03gixxerpilot's Avatar

My Gixxer streetfighter build

this arrived this afternoon ( thanks to chopaweeza )

this is the base of the streetfighter that i have been planing, the other chassis has been put aside and the single sided swing arm will be transfered over to the new chassis, after that has been done the subframe will be coming off to make way for the new shorty subframe with moded tail unit, these things i have and shouldnot take to long to achieve, the next thing to be done is to source a front end for it, at the moment i'm looking at an 03 onwards gixxer thou setup, as i have already fitted one to my 11. i will post pics as things get done.

Cheers Clive
    Born again Juvenile delinquent

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder
    very cool, whats the single sider off again?

single sider is off an 95 vfr 750

I have got everything moved into my new workshop, i still have to set every thing up which will be done this weekend and thin i will be able to make some progress on the build.

quote:Originally posted by 03gixxerpilot

single sider is off an 95 vfr 750

I have got everything moved into my new workshop, i still have to set every thing up which will be done this weekend and thin i will be able to make some progress on the build.
    Can you give us some details on how you mount the swingarm, ie spacers required, and how you plan on tackling the top mount for the shock, are you using the standard vfr linkages?

I have the same swingarm which is itching to get mounted into the frame, but I also have a new house in need of some reno's so trying to eliminate some of the trial and error.

yer Foxy can do, yes i am using the orignal vfr linkages, the top shock mount is going to be custom made, the whole idea of using the 88/89 gsxr 750 chassis is that they have a bolt on top shock mount so are eazy to adapt to what ever you need, also they have a wide bottom dog link mount which alows a good amount of flexability in alingment to allow for the off set of the shock absorber ( this also applys to other swingarm modifications) as i go there will be an detailed step by step how to including drawings of the spacers and other things that need to be done, with the exception of the motor build, which will be showen but not in the same detail.

I will be starting work on the swing arm instalition next week and will post up the progress as i go along.

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    its going to look sweet. what sort of shorty tail you using?

quote:Originally posted by scotty mac

its going to look sweet. what sort of shorty tail you using?
    thats a secret!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

a moded late model gixxer unit.

the top shock mount is bolt on? i need to pay more attention

yer mate it makes mounting a new shock into the chassis a breeze

Let me know if ya need adviceI done this B4[8D]

thanks mundy got it ALL figured out, did most of the work in the slabie chassis, and with some info from other members of this and other forums have got every thing measured up and worked out. i have to move the rest of my things into the unit/workshop this week and get a few jobs out of the road, but should bo on the move to get the last of the machine work done next week and assembly done as well.
    thanks for the though anyway and if i run into any probs ill be sure to give you a buzz

ok the latest in the progress of the build................................

the swingarm is now in place and correctly alingned, we have decided on what we are going to use for the dogbone setup, and i will be getting it as soon as i get payed this week, the next thing to look at is the shock absorber, and am planing to use an kawasaki zx6r unit as i have been lead to beleave that these will be the best ones to use, soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo..................... ... if any body can let me know how long ( form eye to eye ) one is i would be most aprectiave

i have photos and diagrams of every thing that has been done so far but havent had time to orgnise them into any semblance of order to put up here yet. as soon as i have done this i will post them up.

i'll get a eye to eye measurement of an 04 6r rear shock to ya tomorrow if you like.

cheers.joe.

Have you thought about using an R6 shock at all? I know thats what Ben used in one of his Gixxer builds.

crazy that would be awsome, i am open to which shock i will use but it has to short ot be able to fit into the chassis without it taking up to uch room or looking out of place.

foxy as explained above i have thought of it and if anyone has any other sugestions as which shock to use i would love to hear form you, i would also like to know what the length is from eye to eye with these shockies

i am looking for something that will suit the 1100 weight but the length needs to be as short as possible ( less than 300mm if possible )

a pic of the new lower linkage

and another from the top

pic of the swingarm in the chassis befor i fitted the lower linkage, i will get some more pics of the current state of progress tomorrow and post them up as soon as possible, meanwhile......................................... ..........
    keep the info on those shock absorbers coming

Cheers Clive

sorry clive, havent had a chance to take the measurement for you mate, ive been meaning to pull the shock from the bike all week, but been working 4am-6pm most days. i've got a half day tomorrow, will get dimensions tomorrow, and will also get you dimensions of a 99-02 R1 rear shock too if you want it, as i have one here too (putting into the SV)

cheers.joe.

Cliveplease take noteI have all the info that you may require allthough it could be a process of experience
    Let me say that 1 dogbone is noway enough[8)]View your piccie of the topview,to the left,add a doggie[8D]it lines upnow the bits that are there now,rotate 180% to move it rightwardlooks to my mad eye`s that it shood just flow[]
    Mount your shock as far forward as possible so you have a spinal chord after 5min`s of riding[8D]
    Matei`m not trying to preach(non religush)but bending ya bike cost`s
    (dont use"staino")tensile bolt`s in that area[8D]

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast