Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: RVG front wheel into 86 gixxer

ASF Premium Full Member fimpBIKES's Avatar
    the fitter at work showed me a trick where u turn the speed way down and put the die on the end of the bit your tapping
    then u use the thingy that holds the drill bits so the die has keeps a bit of pressure behind it and then the die feeds itself on!!
    not sure if it will work too well on big threads though

could u have run a drill through the whole axle and then used threaded bar or long bolt (say m10?) down the guts of it?

the bolt
    Rev the fucker!!!!!

Bloke with a smaller stick 03gixxerpilot's Avatar
    would work it we had a bigger late the one we got is not much better than a hobbie lathe
    no the drilling of the hole would weaken the axil to much and the axil is way to long for a normal drill to go through, how ever if you drilled the axil form the side you wanted the threaded part on it would work if the rest of the axil was thicker but where i would be drilling into is 1mm thicker than the size of the thread so once again it's not an option.

i would have cut the thread with a die set if we had one big enough how ever the shop that i work in only does H***ys so no or very little metric stuff ( very fustrating for a jap owner )
    Born again Juvenile delinquent

would work it we had a bigger late the one we got is not much better than a hobbie lathe
    no the drilling of the hole would weaken the axil to much and the axil is way to long for a normal drill to go through, how ever if you drilled the axil form the side you wanted the threaded part on it would work if the rest of the axil was thicker but where i would be drilling into is 1mm thicker than the size of the thread so once again it's not an option.

i would have cut the thread with a die set if we had one big enough how ever the shop that i work in only does H***ys so no or very little metric stuff ( very fustrating for a jap owner )

fair enuff

fwiw the tlr appears to have a 14ish mm hole straight thru it
    bummer about the hobby lathe, place i work at turns shit out of 150+ round etc so i think i get a bit spoilt!

i imagine the hole for the axle in the lower fork leg would be smaller than on the later USD forks so she wouldnt leave u much room to hollow it out if its only that 15mm!!
    good shit, looking forward to the drawing

the tillers axle is allow too
    but if i had to turn one up i think i would be going the steel too!
    Rev the fucker!!!!!

fair enuff

fwiw the tlr appears to have a 14ish mm hole straight thru it
    bummer about the hobby lathe, place i work at turns shit out of 150+ round etc so i think i get a bit spoilt!

i imagine the hole for the axle in the lower fork leg would be smaller than on the later USD forks so she wouldnt leave u much room to hollow it out if its only that 15mm!!
    good shit, looking forward to the drawing

the tillers axle is allow too
    but if i had to turn one up i think i would be going the steel too!
    Rev the fucker!!!!!

yer the early models got axils that will fit in the hollow on the new axils.
    it,s the diameter of the axils (new ones) that allows them to use Al and hollow axils. a hollow bar ( axil ) is stronger then a solid due to its sruface area
    and also the tecknolegy of alloys of Al and induction hardning makes them almost as storng as steel and much lighter

yer the early models got axils that will fit in the hollow on the new axils.
    it,s the diameter of the axils (new ones) that allows them to use Al and hollow axils. a hollow bar ( axil ) is stronger then a solid due to its sruface area
    and also the tecknolegy of alloys of Al and induction hardning makes them almost as storng as steel and much lighter

beats the shit out of me, but i dont think that any machine shops in townsville want any buseness, took the axil around to a few yesterday to get a 14mm thread cut on the end of it and most said that they couldnot be bothered and most of the others said that they coundnot do it untill next week. i managed to find one that said they should have it done by friday arvo so i'll have to wate untill tomorrow lunch time to see if he comes through with his promiss.

beats the shit out of me, but i dont think that any machine shops in townsville want any buseness, took the axil around to a few yesterday to get a 14mm thread cut on the end of it and most said that they couldnot be bothered and most of the others said that they coundnot do it untill next week. i managed to find one that said they should have it done by friday arvo so i'll have to wate untill tomorrow lunch time to see if he comes through with his promiss.

a 14mm thread?

as in M14? havent seen an m14 nut in a while.... how about 5/8"?

how much are the dies? u could do it youself if the shaft is the right diameter already
    Rev the fucker!!!!!

a 14mm thread?

as in M14? havent seen an m14 nut in a while.... how about 5/8"?

how much are the dies? u could do it youself if the shaft is the right diameter already
    Rev the fucker!!!!!

yep m14, no idea on how much the die is worth, as the axil is made of 4140 HT steel cutting it with a die nut would not give the best finish although you could do it. 5/8" thread would be good as well if you wanted to go that way ( there is no enginering reason why you can't ) but as i already had the nut off the original axil i thought why not. Im getting a machine shop to lathe cut the thread for me as it will give it a more accurate size and better finish needed for the lock nut that will be going on it.

yep m14, no idea on how much the die is worth, as the axil is made of 4140 HT steel cutting it with a die nut would not give the best finish although you could do it. 5/8" thread would be good as well if you wanted to go that way ( there is no enginering reason why you can't ) but as i already had the nut off the original axil i thought why not. Im getting a machine shop to lathe cut the thread for me as it will give it a more accurate size and better finish needed for the lock nut that will be going on it.

i checked it out today
    M14 existed but it just doesnt get used much

u shouldnt have any troubles getting that die from anywhere that supplies machine-shops with drill bits etc

lathe cut is cool as long as they know their shit, so i guess u found a shop who gives a shit?
    normally someone is willing to stay back for a few minutes to do a cashy, but i guess unless u know them u would only be talking to the people on the counter, bummer
    Rev the fucker!!!!!

i checked it out today
    M14 existed but it just doesnt get used much

u shouldnt have any troubles getting that die from anywhere that supplies machine-shops with drill bits etc

lathe cut is cool as long as they know their shit, so i guess u found a shop who gives a shit?
    normally someone is willing to stay back for a few minutes to do a cashy, but i guess unless u know them u would only be talking to the people on the counter, bummer
    Rev the fucker!!!!!

yer bit of a bummer bloke at the shop didn't come through on friday so i guess its monday i'll have to wait till now
    bit of a wast of a weekend but not to bad as i have to work this weekend............still could have done some work to it
    guess i'll just have to fit the busa front guard instead all i need is access to an Al tig welder.................
    lucky i know some one with one will get pics posted as soon as i get the axil back

yer bit of a bummer bloke at the shop didn't come through on friday so i guess its monday i'll have to wait till now
    bit of a wast of a weekend but not to bad as i have to work this weekend............still could have done some work to it
    guess i'll just have to fit the busa front guard instead all i need is access to an Al tig welder.................
    lucky i know some one with one will get pics posted as soon as i get the axil back

got the axil today and put every thing in for a final fit up, fits just like it was ment to be there. got the front end into the chassis this arvo and look good so far. Busa guard is only held in by two bolts at the moment as i need to make brackets for the lower mounts yet, i can't decide wether or not i like it yet and havent decided what if any farings im going to run.

Any way pics tomorrow and may be get an opinion on what people think of the busa guard.

got the axil today and put every thing in for a final fit up, fits just like it was ment to be there. got the front end into the chassis this arvo and look good so far. Busa guard is only held in by two bolts at the moment as i need to make brackets for the lower mounts yet, i can't decide wether or not i like it yet and havent decided what if any farings im going to run.

Any way pics tomorrow and may be get an opinion on what people think of the busa guard.

the original set up

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast