Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: RVG front wheel into 86 gixxer

Bloke with a smaller stick 03gixxerpilot's Avatar
    its quite easy to do and you need to be pritty accurate, im off to work now and will be bussy at the machine shop and then out to the drags tomorrow night, but i'll try to draw some diagrams up and post them up some time this week end, if not i'll definatly do it on monday arvo/night.
    Born again Juvenile delinquent

the distance between the joins in the calipers should be the same as the distance between the disks

the way i did the calculations is to mount the wheel in the forks ( centrally of course ) sit the caliper on the disk with the join on the caliper central on the disk and then measure the diffrence between the old mount (inside of the mount on the fork tube ) and the new mount ( the outside of the calliper )this should be the new measurement in the case of the RGV into the gixxer the with of the adaptor plate is 5mm

the adaptor that is showen in the pics will do both left and right side callipers

if you are using diffrent forks check that the mount on the forks are in line as mounting points on some bikes are not in line however this is very rear

if your new callipers will mount to the forks orignal mounts then the easist wat to get the disks to line up would proberly be spacers behind the disks as used in harleys when they do their wide glide conversions if you need a pic or diagram of how this looks i can post this up for you but wont need to do this for my conversion

the distance between the joins in the calipers should be the same as the distance between the disks

the way i did the calculations is to mount the wheel in the forks ( centrally of course ) sit the caliper on the disk with the join on the caliper central on the disk and then measure the diffrence between the old mount (inside of the mount on the fork tube ) and the new mount ( the outside of the calliper )this should be the new measurement in the case of the RGV into the gixxer the with of the adaptor plate is 5mm

the adaptor that is showen in the pics will do both left and right side callipers

if you are using diffrent forks check that the mount on the forks are in line as mounting points on some bikes are not in line however this is very rear

if your new callipers will mount to the forks orignal mounts then the easist wat to get the disks to line up would proberly be spacers behind the disks as used in harleys when they do their wide glide conversions if you need a pic or diagram of how this looks i can post this up for you but wont need to do this for my conversion

off to the w/shop today to do the spacers and redo the axil
    should have it all done by the sarvo and have it fitted tonight

off to the w/shop today to do the spacers and redo the axil
    should have it all done by the sarvo and have it fitted tonight

ASF Premium Full Member fimpBIKES's Avatar
    cant wait to see it

so is that 5mm ally?

got pics of the whole bike?

whats the new shaft made from? would 25Al round be large 'nuff?
    Rev the fucker!!!!!

cant wait to see it

so is that 5mm ally?

got pics of the whole bike?

whats the new shaft made from? would 25Al round be large 'nuff?
    Rev the fucker!!!!!

all in an test fitted

all in an test fitted

form another angle

no the caliper bracket is not Al they are steel you could use Al if you wanted to but be carful to use the correct grade Al

I wouldnot use Al as an Axil as 20mm diameter is to small and the size goes down to 15mm at the other end of the axil as youll see when i post the drawings up later. the whole idea of doing it this way was to avoid moding the rim or tubes so that if i want to go back to standard later i can do so.

I'll get the front end in tomorrow and will take pic's of the project so far. its still got a long way to go, i have to build a set of headers for the turbo, fit an 03 R1 tail unit to it and of course fit the swingarm extentions into it as well as set up the motor to take the late model fuel injection.

It's getting there

oh i have to redo the caliper bracket as the first wheel i used had a little dent in it and the new wheel has slightly larger disks ( approx 2mm on the diameter ) so i'll redo them to give them a little more clearence ( i guess i could use the other disks but if i need to replace one for some reason i would rather not have to do the bracket at a later date )

Anyway of to do some drawings that others can understand so that i can post them up later tonight.

form another angle

no the caliper bracket is not Al they are steel you could use Al if you wanted to but be carful to use the correct grade Al

I wouldnot use Al as an Axil as 20mm diameter is to small and the size goes down to 15mm at the other end of the axil as youll see when i post the drawings up later. the whole idea of doing it this way was to avoid moding the rim or tubes so that if i want to go back to standard later i can do so.

I'll get the front end in tomorrow and will take pic's of the project so far. its still got a long way to go, i have to build a set of headers for the turbo, fit an 03 R1 tail unit to it and of course fit the swingarm extentions into it as well as set up the motor to take the late model fuel injection.

It's getting there

oh i have to redo the caliper bracket as the first wheel i used had a little dent in it and the new wheel has slightly larger disks ( approx 2mm on the diameter ) so i'll redo them to give them a little more clearence ( i guess i could use the other disks but if i need to replace one for some reason i would rather not have to do the bracket at a later date )

Anyway of to do some drawings that others can understand so that i can post them up later tonight.

cool,
    yeah i wasnt going to step on toes with the bracket if u had made it out of ally
    but its not the kind of place i would be too fussed about saving weight from [xx(]

is the shaft just held in by the pinch bolts on the bottom of the fork leg?

would love to see a drawing when u get the chance
    i have a set of GSXR750 forks and triples gaggin' to go on either the SV or the kat
    Rev the fucker!!!!!

cool,
    yeah i wasnt going to step on toes with the bracket if u had made it out of ally
    but its not the kind of place i would be too fussed about saving weight from [xx(]

is the shaft just held in by the pinch bolts on the bottom of the fork leg?

would love to see a drawing when u get the chance
    i have a set of GSXR750 forks and triples gaggin' to go on either the SV or the kat
    Rev the fucker!!!!!

Fimp the shaft is tightened with a nut on the spedo drive side then after the nut is tight te pinch bolt is then done up as per the orignal set up

I'm bussy at the moment trying to make a set of drawings as best i can with paint as i don't have a cad program yet
    i realy should pull my finger out and get one, i think that stevo has one that i can get of him, i'll have to ask.

Fimp the shaft is tightened with a nut on the spedo drive side then after the nut is tight te pinch bolt is then done up as per the orignal set up

I'm bussy at the moment trying to make a set of drawings as best i can with paint as i don't have a cad program yet
    i realy should pull my finger out and get one, i think that stevo has one that i can get of him, i'll have to ask.

by "nut" is it like on my tiller

its the bit that the goes into the fork leg on one side and has a female tapped hole up the guts of it?
    anyways, dont rush the drawing on account of me

im just a curious bastard, plus am right into all this fitting and turning stuff ATM
    Rev the fucker!!!!!

by "nut" is it like on my tiller

its the bit that the goes into the fork leg on one side and has a female tapped hole up the guts of it?
    anyways, dont rush the drawing on account of me

im just a curious bastard, plus am right into all this fitting and turning stuff ATM
    Rev the fucker!!!!!

no mate the end of the shaft protrudes through the forktube and the nut goes on the thread that is on the end of the axil just like a nut on a bolt ( the bolt being the axil ) in the pic the axil does not have the thread cut on it yet as the little lathe that we have in the workshop dose not cut metric threads and i'll have to get a machine shop to do that for me tommorow.
    It's no problems answering your questions, i'm only to glad to help if i can. got the drawings done but can't get them to load up as they are to big and my email does not seem to be playing ball at the moment

no mate the end of the shaft protrudes through the forktube and the nut goes on the thread that is on the end of the axil just like a nut on a bolt ( the bolt being the axil ) in the pic the axil does not have the thread cut on it yet as the little lathe that we have in the workshop dose not cut metric threads and i'll have to get a machine shop to do that for me tommorow.
    It's no problems answering your questions, i'm only to glad to help if i can. got the drawings done but can't get them to load up as they are to big and my email does not seem to be playing ball at the moment

the fitter at work showed me a trick where u turn the speed way down and put the die on the end of the bit your tapping
    then u use the thingy that holds the drill bits so the die has keeps a bit of pressure behind it and then the die feeds itself on!!
    not sure if it will work too well on big threads though

could u have run a drill through the whole axle and then used threaded bar or long bolt (say m10?) down the guts of it?

the bolt
    Rev the fucker!!!!!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast