Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on a new fighter.

JackTar

Advice on a new fighter.

Hey guys I am a relatively new forum member, I have just sold my beloved Busa and bought myself an 87 GSXR1100. I plan on turning this into a streetfigher (obviously or I wouldn't be on this forum) was wondering if I could ask you guys some questions. I have absolutely no mechanical knowledge whatsoever so you will have to talk slowly to me, I have started stripping the bike down but am stuck at the carby (not sure how to disconnect the cable).

Anyway I would like to know what kind of stuff I can do a straight swap out for such as what size wheels/tyres can I put on it or am I better off just buying a third party swingarm so I can get a fat rear on it? What the hell are USD forks? I have seen them mentioned a few times but have no idea what they are and if I need a set to put a bigger front wheel on.

That is all I have for now but stay tuned because I have no doubt I will think up lots more.

Bloke with a smaller stick
    USD stands for Up Side Down, it just means the fat part of the fork leg is at the top. As oppossed to RSU forks which are Right Side Up.

The throttle cable should have two nuts holding it in place to a bracket, with the bare steel cable itself then should have a lead lug on the end which slots into the throttle linkage at the carbs. Undo the nuts on the end of the cable, you should now be able to rotate the lug end of the cable around to the slot in the throttle linkage, this should do the trick.

Good luck!
    "It's the eighties and I'm down with the ladies"

USD stands for Up Side Down, it just means the fat part of the fork leg is at the top. As oppossed to RSU forks which are Right Side Up.

The throttle cable should have two nuts holding it in place to a bracket, with the bare steel cable itself then should have a lead lug on the end which slots into the throttle linkage at the carbs. Undo the nuts on the end of the cable, you should now be able to rotate the lug end of the cable around to the slot in the throttle linkage, this should do the trick.

Good luck!
    "It's the eighties and I'm down with the ladies"

Maate, if you can't remove the carbies yet, then you've got a long haul ahead of you (as we all did once).

The GSXR11 is the archetypal streetfighter base machine. Awesome motor, lightweight etc etc etc. Have you had a look in the owners gallery? a number of members are riding GSXR's. Have a look at which particular styling takes you're fancy and go from there. You'll get planty of good advice here (especially on the GSXR's from the likes of Mundy, Deano, Oz etc).

DO YOU HAVE THE MANUAL FOR YOU'RE BIKE. If not, that is you're best investment by far. The Factory ones are good for specs, and the Clymer/Haines are good for the lesser experienced non-mechanics amongst us (including myself).

BUT [:0] most important of all, build something that YOU 'lurve to ride'. I'm ecstatic with my old GPz900 now that I've fitted my drag bar extensions [)][^](made up for me by Ben from Extreme Creations)...........and replaced a seriously shagged cam[:I].

Maate, if you can't remove the carbies yet, then you've got a long haul ahead of you (as we all did once).

The GSXR11 is the archetypal streetfighter base machine. Awesome motor, lightweight etc etc etc. Have you had a look in the owners gallery? a number of members are riding GSXR's. Have a look at which particular styling takes you're fancy and go from there. You'll get planty of good advice here (especially on the GSXR's from the likes of Mundy, Deano, Oz etc).

DO YOU HAVE THE MANUAL FOR YOU'RE BIKE. If not, that is you're best investment by far. The Factory ones are good for specs, and the Clymer/Haines are good for the lesser experienced non-mechanics amongst us (including myself).

BUT [:0] most important of all, build something that YOU 'lurve to ride'. I'm ecstatic with my old GPz900 now that I've fitted my drag bar extensions [)][^](made up for me by Ben from Extreme Creations)...........and replaced a seriously shagged cam[:I].

Blog Entries
    Yea Jack. I have an idea for you mate. Go and get a photo of your bike for us and stick it up in this topic, then we'll give you some pictures of how we would do your bike if we owned it (based on bikes we know or have come across) then you can choose what you're aiming for and we can just tell you what you need to do. Job done. This is a bloody good idea actually. Why didn't I think of this before? The in-house custom bike build!

Blog Entries
    Yea Jack. I have an idea for you mate. Go and get a photo of your bike for us and stick it up in this topic, then we'll give you some pictures of how we would do your bike if we owned it (based on bikes we know or have come across) then you can choose what you're aiming for and we can just tell you what you need to do. Job done. This is a bloody good idea actually. Why didn't I think of this before? The in-house custom bike build!

Weekend Warrior
    very good idea that! looking for a bit of inspiration myself.

Weekend Warrior
    very good idea that! looking for a bit of inspiration myself.

I hope I have got this picture thing sorted out here goes.
    Here is what it looked like 2 weeks ago.

This is what it looks like now.

And I may be getting a bit carried away but this is the kind of thing that I want.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I hope I have got this picture thing sorted out here goes.
    Here is what it looked like 2 weeks ago.

This is what it looks like now.

And I may be getting a bit carried away but this is the kind of thing that I want.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Blog Entries
    Ok. Your head is in the right place. That's what I wanted to see! First thing is you've picked photos of the '89 onward Gixer frame, but essentially there's not that much difference. The main difference is that tank. Now to find some slabbie conversions that I like.........

Blog Entries
    Ok. Your head is in the right place. That's what I wanted to see! First thing is you've picked photos of the '89 onward Gixer frame, but essentially there's not that much difference. The main difference is that tank. Now to find some slabbie conversions that I like.........

Blog Entries
    Depending on how radical you want to get and how much work you want to do, just straight of the blocks, check this unfinished project that Kev down in Melbourne was doing. The single sider really brought it to life but not as much as the SV1000 tank! What a great way to get the thing looking shit hot (the '87 tank wasn't a thing of beauty). As for fitting the thing I never got the low down from Kev, but I don't think it would be too hard to get someone to weld on the modified lugs. Check the shape difference!:

Blog Entries
    Depending on how radical you want to get and how much work you want to do, just straight of the blocks, check this unfinished project that Kev down in Melbourne was doing. The single sider really brought it to life but not as much as the SV1000 tank! What a great way to get the thing looking shit hot (the '87 tank wasn't a thing of beauty). As for fitting the thing I never got the low down from Kev, but I don't think it would be too hard to get someone to weld on the modified lugs. Check the shape difference!:

Blog Entries
    Tony, have you got a picture of Dodge's Slabbie?

......meanwhile, how about an aftermarket swinger like JMC (you haven't mentioned a budget yet so I'm pulling all the punches) and of course the compulsory USD forks.

Blog Entries
    Tony, have you got a picture of Dodge's Slabbie?

......meanwhile, how about an aftermarket swinger like JMC (you haven't mentioned a budget yet so I'm pulling all the punches) and of course the compulsory USD forks.

Aussie Streetfighter Hooligan
    Blog Entries
    Sorry Si, no scanner

These are early pics of it.
    Later ones looked a lot nicer and he had a lot of
    work done to the frame down by the swingarm pivot
    to move the chain out even further.

Met the Guy who bought it off him one day,
    (Barmouth Sea-front) he had done a few more jobs to it
    (Wide flat exhaust can as an undertray) and it was
    as drool worthy as ever.

Made my old "Rat-Fighter" look like real Junk
    Went well though [8D][^]

Tony.J.

Aussie Streetfighter Hooligan
    Blog Entries
    Sorry Si, no scanner

These are early pics of it.
    Later ones looked a lot nicer and he had a lot of
    work done to the frame down by the swingarm pivot
    to move the chain out even further.

Met the Guy who bought it off him one day,
    (Barmouth Sea-front) he had done a few more jobs to it
    (Wide flat exhaust can as an undertray) and it was
    as drool worthy as ever.

Made my old "Rat-Fighter" look like real Junk
    Went well though [8D][^]

Tony.J.

Weekend Warrior
    MMmmmmhh, nice headlight on that red one
    Hello Jack, welcome to the forum. If your not techy minded then i think you should do lots and lots of reading/research and take your time to think about what you want and how you are going to do it. There should be lots of info for the gsx. You could check out the old school suzuki site. http://oldskoolsuzuki.info/

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast