Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: In the dark

Bejcar

In the dark

Hello to all those down under,

I'm writing this from Canada and wondering if anyone out there can help me out.

I'm attempting to build a streetfighter out of a 1989 CBR600F, and well in Canada everyone more or less scratches their heads when it comes to this.

Currently the bike has been sitting in pieces in the garage, but I am looking to swap out the rotors (the desperately need to be changed) Tweak the subframe, fit an 03-06 CBR 600RR tail to it (I've got the plastic, but do I need the RR subframe?) and of course throw on a different head light and the Motocross bars.

Any help with a how to on ANYTHING would be invaluable... no one up here really understands what I'm attempting to do, and no one really seems to even wrap their heads around it either.

Has anyone tried this stuff before? Am I in virgin territory? Any help with the technical aspect or what people have done in the past would be greatly appreciated... I'm pretty in the dark with all of this.

Thanks!

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    should be able to make up your own subframe and use rosejoints to mount it to the bike frame then you can adjust the angle of the tail to suit the look your after. find anotherm set of rotors the same size and offset and then drill mounting holes between existing holes if they dont line up.

should be able to make up your own subframe and use rosejoints to mount it to the bike frame then you can adjust the angle of the tail to suit the look your after. find anotherm set of rotors the same size and offset and then drill mounting holes between existing holes if they dont line up.

Blog Entries
    joe.d is a member from Canada as well. Don't know where he is up there though. CBR 600's are a hard one to get looking good. After a search all I could find was this one: http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/965...ighter22xg.jpg which I think you will agree is a touch ratty....... As Rexie said, if you have the plastics for a new tail end try and source the subframe as well (is it a bolt on job on those?) as creating one from scratch is a long and tedious process, plus if you stack it you have to start from scratch again. I'd be finding an '03 CBR and seeing how much different the subframe is to your and what will need doing to match it up to your frame.

Blog Entries
    joe.d is a member from Canada as well. Don't know where he is up there though. CBR 600's are a hard one to get looking good. After a search all I could find was this one: http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/965...ighter22xg.jpg which I think you will agree is a touch ratty....... As Rexie said, if you have the plastics for a new tail end try and source the subframe as well (is it a bolt on job on those?) as creating one from scratch is a long and tedious process, plus if you stack it you have to start from scratch again. I'd be finding an '03 CBR and seeing how much different the subframe is to your and what will need doing to match it up to your frame.

ASF Premium Full Member fimpBIKES's Avatar
    i saw that bike in SF with the rod-ends rexie
    fuggin great idea!!

do we have a "how-to" for a new subframe yet?
    im happy to write one up when i pull my finger out
    Rev the fucker!!!!!

ASF Premium Full Member fimpBIKES's Avatar
    i saw that bike in SF with the rod-ends rexie
    fuggin great idea!!

do we have a "how-to" for a new subframe yet?
    im happy to write one up when i pull my finger out
    Rev the fucker!!!!!

Hey Bejcar welcome aboard. Mate make sure you post up some progress pictures man, let us know what ya up to!

Hey man what ya fav hockey team ?

GO MIGHTY NJ! UP THE DEVILS!

HAHA

Hey Bejcar welcome aboard. Mate make sure you post up some progress pictures man, let us know what ya up to!

Hey man what ya fav hockey team ?

GO MIGHTY NJ! UP THE DEVILS!

HAHA

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Thanks for the input so far guys!

Forgive my newbie ignorance but whats a Rose joint? Unfortunately the subframe is part of the frame on the bike, but it is steel, so I can weld/cut whatever I want from it, I was thinking of runing some bracing across (to form small triangles) in an attempt to strengthen it if I have to cut it down to fit the RR tail... suggestions?

and Bohemion, you gotta cheer for the home town, go Oil!

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Thanks for the input so far guys!

Forgive my newbie ignorance but whats a Rose joint? Unfortunately the subframe is part of the frame on the bike, but it is steel, so I can weld/cut whatever I want from it, I was thinking of runing some bracing across (to form small triangles) in an attempt to strengthen it if I have to cut it down to fit the RR tail... suggestions?

and Bohemion, you gotta cheer for the home town, go Oil!

Blog Entries
    One rose joint mate:

Weld some lugs onto your existing frame, take your new bolt on model subframe:

and join them with the adjustable rose joints at the lower mounts so the top pivots to give the desired angle.

Blog Entries
    One rose joint mate:

Weld some lugs onto your existing frame, take your new bolt on model subframe:

and join them with the adjustable rose joints at the lower mounts so the top pivots to give the desired angle.

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    You have to swap out the sub frame?

My subframe is steel, and part of the frame, could I not take that, cut it off the bike, weld said Rose joints onto it, then just add a bolt on mount to pivot it like you said?

Or is it a necessity to swap the subframes out?

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    You have to swap out the sub frame?

My subframe is steel, and part of the frame, could I not take that, cut it off the bike, weld said Rose joints onto it, then just add a bolt on mount to pivot it like you said?

Or is it a necessity to swap the subframes out?

Blog Entries
    All depends on the plastics you're going to fit mate. If they fit your existing subframe with little or no mods then use that (cut it off close to the frame and add lugs to accept the new bolt on method - although if this is the case why are you bothering taking it off at all? - just to get the new angle?), but if they are nothing alike you'll have to get the subframe from the '03 model or fabricate your own. Once you start fabricating your own, you'll soon wish you had sourced one for the plastics, it's a monster job, but not impossible.

Blog Entries
    All depends on the plastics you're going to fit mate. If they fit your existing subframe with little or no mods then use that (cut it off close to the frame and add lugs to accept the new bolt on method - although if this is the case why are you bothering taking it off at all? - just to get the new angle?), but if they are nothing alike you'll have to get the subframe from the '03 model or fabricate your own. Once you start fabricating your own, you'll soon wish you had sourced one for the plastics, it's a monster job, but not impossible.

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Awesome! I want to just tweak the subframe up some, to give it that 'ass up' look.

As far as the headlights go, with the Streetfighter headlight assemblies, where does everyone hide all that wiring that gets tucked in behind the fairings? Can you get rid of some of it? Or do you just zip tie it into the frame?

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Awesome! I want to just tweak the subframe up some, to give it that 'ass up' look.

As far as the headlights go, with the Streetfighter headlight assemblies, where does everyone hide all that wiring that gets tucked in behind the fairings? Can you get rid of some of it? Or do you just zip tie it into the frame?

Blog Entries
    Get rid of any you don't need and then shorten everything left and put it under the tank. You'll end up with one tidy loom that goes to your instruments.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast