Thread: Rapid Bikes and Drag times

Razorback

Rapid Bikes and Drag times

If you got the last 2 issues of Rapid you may have read it as thouroughly as i do and noticed that the "Sumo Ninja" S&R Pro Turbo ZX10R with fries and extra sauce ran mid 10's on the last drag night they had. Where as there were stock GSXR's and now this week a Stock 929 Blade and a Stock Busa running high 9's....

Im just curious what people think about why this is. I mean the guy with the Sumo Ninja has like an extra 15K spent on the thing and it was running slower by up to 1 second on stock ZX10's in the issue it appears in.

I havnt done a lot of drag racing... I mean like a handful of half assed runs on open days in Darwin is my entire drag racing experience... I think my best time on my gixxer was low 11's so its fair to say I suck ass at it... BUT.... you would just think that with all that fruit the Sumo Ninja would be a weapon in the most inexperienced hands...

BTW when I say "stock" with the other bikes I mean they had nothing more than slip on end cans and the like...

Weekend Warrior
    Hi Razorback,

I am not a dragracer meself. I am running 10.9 with me, almost standard, 1000 Fazer.
    This bloke probably just had a bad day... or the bike wasn't running proper. Maybe he can't drag for shit... These are the things I can think of.
    If that bike is as hot, well 9.something or even high 8's should be no problem. A bloke here in WA races a almost standard Blackbird in the 9.2- something. He only changed the gearing and a pipe. You see him racing all the time, he's good..... Give him the Ninja with fries and see what he can do....

Frankie

Weekend Warrior
    Hi Razorback,

I am not a dragracer meself. I am running 10.9 with me, almost standard, 1000 Fazer.
    This bloke probably just had a bad day... or the bike wasn't running proper. Maybe he can't drag for shit... These are the things I can think of.
    If that bike is as hot, well 9.something or even high 8's should be no problem. A bloke here in WA races a almost standard Blackbird in the 9.2- something. He only changed the gearing and a pipe. You see him racing all the time, he's good..... Give him the Ninja with fries and see what he can do....

Frankie

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    The Busas setup by the same guys were doing high 8s, so I guess its one or more of the things you said.

The Busas setup by the same guys were doing high 8s, so I guess its one or more of the things you said.

Maybe if he put wheelie bars on it he might go quicker, I'd reckon that thing would be a real handfull when you give it a handfull. [)]

Maybe if he put wheelie bars on it he might go quicker, I'd reckon that thing would be a real handfull when you give it a handfull. [)]

Weekend Warrior
    Hi Guys.... I was out at the shop where Sumo spends most of its time... And the story is that with all the hp the clutch fails ( spins) and is not up to the task... and because the clutch is cable operated from the other side of the engine it a fucker to remedy...heavy springs dont fix it!! No company US or other, make one as yet... So the boys are trying other options.... Maybe an engine builder may shed some light.... hope this helps.....As for stock bikes running 9s.... set up, set up, Oh and rider skill !!!! haha.... I wish I had some...practice practice..

Weekend Warrior
    Hi Guys.... I was out at the shop where Sumo spends most of its time... And the story is that with all the hp the clutch fails ( spins) and is not up to the task... and because the clutch is cable operated from the other side of the engine it a fucker to remedy...heavy springs dont fix it!! No company US or other, make one as yet... So the boys are trying other options.... Maybe an engine builder may shed some light.... hope this helps.....As for stock bikes running 9s.... set up, set up, Oh and rider skill !!!! haha.... I wish I had some...practice practice..

Ah well that explains it then... TY for the info coz I just couldnt understand it.. Im sitting on the dunny looking at the table of results and flicking back to read what they had done to that bike and thinking WTF ??

Knew there had to be a logical explanation.

Ah well that explains it then... TY for the info coz I just couldnt understand it.. Im sitting on the dunny looking at the table of results and flicking back to read what they had done to that bike and thinking WTF ??

Knew there had to be a logical explanation.