Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 03gixxerpilot's '90 gixxer 11 big bore

Bloke with a smaller stick 03gixxerpilot's Avatar
    i have a spare 750 head that i can play with and a spare set of cams, so this comming week ( if not befor ) i'll hopefully have figured out the cam angle sensor set up, the rocker box cover is off to the polishers tomorrow ( he has some good juce that takes th paint and oil off ) then back into the work shop for some drilling and welding.

i might also have a go at doing the rotor for the crank angle sensor tomorrow as i will be at the work shop that i help out at on ocasions an have access to a lathe as i have to make some spacers to fit a 02 swing arm into a 85 750 chassis
    Born again Juvenile delinquent

[|)]Ok i.ve gotten a few phone calls ( 2 ) about the progress of this project and it has been put to the side for a while due to work and ( i'll be honest )[B)][B)][B)] plain lazyness, how ever since the phone calls i have a new intrest in progressing further on the motor, so to tackel a few of the problems i have had;

1 intake manifold; It look like i'll have to get a custome set made up, so this weekend ( monday for me ) i'll sit down and make a set of drawings and hopefully get a machine shop to fabricate them for me ( remember this is for an 1371cc big bore and i have my doubts as to weather the 1000 throttle bodies are big enough) but if you intend to do the same for an 1100 or 750 a set of 750 or even a set of 600 throttle bodies might be a better bet, dont know if the sizes of them are drffrent.

2 MAP sensor,if i can use the original airbox with the thorttle bodies then i will look at fitting the MAP sensor into that, however if i can't use the orignal air box i'll have to think of another alternative.

3 cam angle sensor, this is possibly the most difficult problem to get around due to the lack of and area on the cam to locate the trigger, i'll have another look this weekend and see what i come up with, ( i have a couple of ideas but not sure how they are foing to work/or look )

I have a week of over christmass and hope to progress further on this and another project that i have on at the moment and will keep this post updated ( please feel free to KICK MY ASS if i don't)

Weekend Warrior
    Clive,
    I am not too sure how the cam angel sensors work on these things but have you looked at maybe mounting it somewhere else? With the MAP sensor you will need to mount it downstream of the throttle bodies so when you make up the manifold just get them to put in small port in the bottom of each runner and then join them to run into the MAP sensor. I will have to give you a call and have a look at this beast.

Cheers
    Paul

Paul your imput would be appricated, as would any one elses ideas, i have tryed many combinations and ideas, but there are ideas out there that i havent tryed or thought of yet, let me know.

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    Paul is right the map sensor needs the combined signal from all cylinders or it does strange things at idle/part throttle, this sensor is only used by the ecu till 5% throttle then the tps takes over.
    03 have you seen the original cam sensor pin ? (I can take a pic of one )it should be easy to replicate.I would probably drill and tap the cam to take a 6mm bolt and locktight in place then cut the head off leaving a pin of near oem size. could be done on the cam gear too as long as your getting one pulse/720 deg and its indexed correctly.
    If going OEM computer system ends up being too complicated a Microtech LT4 is fairly easy to set up as fuel only and leave the ign system alone .

booster i have consedered doing what you have said but am concerned about the integurity of the cam once it has been drilled.

No room after the last lobe?? many cams have drilled oil supplies but i do understand your concern.

yer booster no room after last lobe, and with the amount of money going into this motor, the last thing i wnat is to have a failer due to a cam breaking ( i have had had this happen befor and that cam was not drilled although it was on an xl 600 ) I'm thinking of fitting an hall sensor set up of the end of the cam , but this is going to mean that i have to have it sticking out the side of the head ( not what i want )

has any one drilled into a cam to do this kind of thing befor

Room to bolt something onto the end of the cam?so you can add the length you need, 10mm would probably do it.

yer but it is going to look ugly ( i think ) having something sticking out the side of the motor, i'm going to give Ivan Tigh a ring on monday and see if they can offer me any advice or soultion on the problem

I was thinking other end , make the cam a little longer, pin in the extension like factory and put the sensor on top of the tappet cover or is this still too much visible?
    Tighe or Kelford should be able to say how strong the cam would be if you drilled.
    How agressive are the cams and how heavy the valve springs

booster there is no room between the end bearing and the side of the rocker box.

I have been over to stevos this arfternoon and discussed the problem with him and we have come up with a possible solution but i won't say any more on here untill we have sussed it out, if it works it will give us the best of both worlds no drilling the cams and pickup will be hidden out of sight ( away from the sides of the motor )

work on the manifolds will start on monday afternoon with a basic plan already in place.

pic of the manifolds as they develop and the finished products will be posted as we go.

Could you place the Hall effect sensor (they're tiny these days) into a slot in the top of the rocker cover, and clamp the trigger to the cam shaft?

this is the space that i have between the cam and the head in reality it is less than this as the cam protrudes slightly from the bearing and where the ruler is, is the wider part of the head as it tapers in closer towards the front. so in actual fact i have less than 5mm to fit anything inbetween the cam and head with out it protruding out. as i said, stevo and i have worked out another idea which will negate the need to drill cams and to fit anything on the end of the cam ( let us say that the triger will not be on the cam)

Damn that's tight, the old Geepz has much more spare room.

Are you running it off the sprocket? would improve the performance of the sensor. Am I being a nosy rude prick ?(as if I'm ever not) Justtell me to fuck off, everybody else does.

There's been a couple of slide down the road GSXR's offered to me cheap lately (The 89' K model ?, the one with the muscle bike look to it), and a full blown 11 does appeal, so I'm soaking up any info on them that's going.

I was considering 9/11ing the Geepz, but finding a 96' or so GPZ1100 motor is proving very difficult (although somebody at the Fool's run had one, wonder if he'd do a swap?)

yep looking at running it off the sprocket, just got to work out the timing and see if there are any problems with that, no your not a nosie rude prick.

Weekend Warrior
    Clive I will give you a buzz sometime this week and pop over for a look I am sure that we will be able to knock something up.

Cheers
    Paul

kool i'm looking forwrd to it.

this afternoon i have made up the templates for the manifolds, tomorrow i willbe taking the templates along with some aluminum to an engineering shop to have them cut out for me.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345