Thread: rear seat unit conversion

Weekend Warrior

rear seat unit conversion

Anyone done a back end conversion, I have a buell XB12S, I was thinking of putting a different back end on altogether, this is my next project, I was thinking a 06 R6, getting a race glass seat unit & altering it from there, I would probably have to make up a new subframe, any ideas anyone. is there an easyer way of doing it?

Bloke with a smaller stick
    I've put a 99 R1 race glass tail on my GS500. Basically just cut the frame off behind the tank and made up a new sub frame to suit.
    "It's the eighties and I'm down with the ladies"

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    yeah but those 06 R6 tails are tiny would it easier to get an original subie and modifying that to bolt onto your main frame? i too like those tails.

the latest r6 tail is very sharp mate,any such mod will require a custom sub frame for the Buell,but not too much work and would look senfknsational.Just Do It,before someone else steals your idea.

Blog Entries
    Age old question mate. The short answer is use the tail plastics AND subframe (create mounts for it) from the original bike to save time and effort (and easily replace if it gets stacked), or, modify your existing subframe to accept the new tail piece, or finally, go all out and create a new subframe for a one off look - This takes some serious time and effort but can be much better looking in the end. You'll be surprised just how much the factory frame isn't perfectly square when you do it though!

Bloke with a smaller stick
    Mate I know Si is gonna get sick of me doing this in this forum but I have a carbon fibre tail for sale in the parts for sale section. Not sure if it is what you are after but it looks the goods.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Weekend Warrior
    cheers but i would have to rip it & join it to make it fit, & its to good for that, & with the bike only being tiny a large tail may look to big.

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    i'm currently doing another subframe conversion, ive been taking pics as i go, so i'll do a general how to on it. the way ive been working on it, should be done by the end of the week lol.

cheers.joe.

Aussie Streetfighter Hooligan
    Pommie ... i put a 03 zx6r seat on my 88gsxr but didnt use the subframe to go with the seat ... i got brakets and shit everywhere , i did over engineer it abit but fuck what a pain ... it was a fairly easy fit too .. do yourself a favor and get the subframe to go with the seat ... unless you have the skills to build your own which would be cool