Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which gixxer is best...

Jaded

Which gixxer is best...

Whats the best model gixxer (1980s or 1990s) to use as a base for a streetfighter in regards to easiest to modify and also performance wise?

Without including the 7/11 mod, which model is best for:
    - adapting USD forks
    - modding the swingarm to accommodate 17 x 5.5 (or bigger) rims.
    - body mods
    - exhaust
    - general parts interchangability with other models.
    - aftermarket parts

89, i may be biased. rekon i'm right but.

89, i may be biased. rekon i'm right but.

Blog Entries
    I'd have to say the '90 L model mate. Always classed as the original Streetfighter base. Same as the '89 model except it already has the USD and is popular in the SF world for aftermarket bits (especially the German designed gear). Engine is the same as the Bandit basically so parts are still being produced for it also. It is a welded subframe though so you'll have to do some welding to get that new rear end on. The bolt on Subframes didn't start until the water cooled as far as I remember, and although Deano's pulled it off nicely, the oil cooled is the way to go for looks.

Blog Entries
    I'd have to say the '90 L model mate. Always classed as the original Streetfighter base. Same as the '89 model except it already has the USD and is popular in the SF world for aftermarket bits (especially the German designed gear). Engine is the same as the Bandit basically so parts are still being produced for it also. It is a welded subframe though so you'll have to do some welding to get that new rear end on. The bolt on Subframes didn't start until the water cooled as far as I remember, and although Deano's pulled it off nicely, the oil cooled is the way to go for looks.

New to Streetfighters
    Thanks for the info So '89 or '90 it is.

Is that 1100 or 750cc version?

New to Streetfighters
    Thanks for the info So '89 or '90 it is.

Is that 1100 or 750cc version?

1127... unless 4 didgets is too scary for ya or ya buildin 7/11.

1127... unless 4 didgets is too scary for ya or ya buildin 7/11.

Weekend Warrior
    Hey Pop-see,

If you haven't already check out bikesales.com.au. There a few Gixer-elevens advertised at the moment at (what seems to me) pretty cheap prices.

Weekend Warrior
    Hey Pop-see,

If you haven't already check out bikesales.com.au. There a few Gixer-elevens advertised at the moment at (what seems to me) pretty cheap prices.

the reason one builds one is that they HANDLE!88/750 has a wheelbase of 1405mm& can be made to track very well

the reason one builds one is that they HANDLE!88/750 has a wheelbase of 1405mm& can be made to track very well

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    sorry to be stupid but been looking around the site for a few months now and i keep hearing 7/11 mod and stuff what the hell is this.

i want a 750. coz i'm coming off a 250 and i recon i will kill myself less quickly on one of them

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    sorry to be stupid but been looking around the site for a few months now and i keep hearing 7/11 mod and stuff what the hell is this.

i want a 750. coz i'm coming off a 250 and i recon i will kill myself less quickly on one of them

Blog Entries
    Just the opposite mate. You'll do it twice as fast. A 7/11 is a GSXR750 bike with a GSXR1100 engine grafted into it. The shorter wheel base of the 750 and slightly smaller overall size give you a bike that handles faster, what's to paw the air more and do all those things Streetfighters are all about.

Blog Entries
    Just the opposite mate. You'll do it twice as fast. A 7/11 is a GSXR750 bike with a GSXR1100 engine grafted into it. The shorter wheel base of the 750 and slightly smaller overall size give you a bike that handles faster, what's to paw the air more and do all those things Streetfighters are all about.

New to Streetfighters
    My Katana is a 7/11 - although I think the frames are the same between the 750/1100 except for the pop-up model which has a different frame.

New to Streetfighters
    My Katana is a 7/11 - although I think the frames are the same between the 750/1100 except for the pop-up model which has a different frame.

ASF Premium Full Member fimpBIKES's Avatar
    whats wrong ladies, afraid of the water?? :P

i would get the one without USD, then put the whole front end off a late model gixxer on it so u get the better brakes etc

i keep seeing all these single sided arms off duc's on fighters
    how hard is that to do??
    if your re-doing the front anyways i would look for a wreck
    Rev the fucker!!!!!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast