Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: k series GSXR front end into early GSXR

Weekend Warrior
    how about a GS500 wheel in the front....

then it'll wheelie REAL easy

we can get new disc centres but it's an expensive way to go for what you're tryin to acheive..

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    Piece of piss Clive, just machine the 2mm off the disc mounting face on the wheel & you'll get the discs sitting where they're s'posed to be.
    2 mil is fine to take off the wheel without compromising it's strength. I've done heaps of 'Motard conversions that way & they've stood up to race punishment no problems.
    You might need to adjust your mounting bolts to suit - ie; washers under the bolt heads, turn off excess shoulder material or use different bolts (a trip to the wreckers will sort a suitable bolt out.) No mods to speedo drive or axle spacers are needed because none of it changes.
    It's also a fair bit quicker than machining up disc spacers.
    All you need is access to a lathe with enough swing to fit a 17" wheel on it & you're in bizzness. The actual turning process takes less than 10 mins.

Bloke with a smaller stick 03gixxerpilot's Avatar
    thanks turbo, they are radial breaks and cannot be moved sideways hence the need to move the disks i think that what you have sugested is the best way to go, i now need to find a shop that has a lathe big enough to do it for me.

I'll keep you posted on the progress
    Born again Juvenile delinquent

Bloke with a smaller stick 03gixxerpilot's Avatar
    Ok i've made my mind up, the wheel is coming out tomorrow and i will set about finding a machine shop that can do the machining for me, i will take 2mm a side of the break mounts thus brining them back into alingment, the other two options seem to be a bit expensive, and time consuming.

Cheers Clive
    Born again Juvenile delinquent

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder
    There is also another option that can work for changing stems if the bottom stem OSD is very different to the original bike:

Cut the original stem off flush with the triples, bore it out to exactly the same size as the stem you want so they physically cannot fit - heat bottom and cool stem, press into eachother and they are thermally bound as they cool.

hey deano

reading your post and looking to do this mod soon and saw you had a bush that you could supply to fill the gap in the 03/04 top triple when usig the older stem

What's the damage n availability on the bush pls mate

Cheers
    Watto

Bloke with a smaller stick
    all you need make is a bush with 22mm id and 25mm od. i can machine you up a bush if need be

Deano

mate if you could machine one up that would be awesome

pm us ya details n cost n will go from there

Cheers
    Watto

G'day guys

For anyone else contemplating the swap out to a late model (K series) front end, found a fella that makes the tapered bearings so you can use the k series steering stem without machining the slingy top cup or changing out stems - he makes a top bearing with OD47 x ID30 x W15 so it becomes a bolt in solution

Link is http://www.twinworksfactory.com/svmods.htm (thanks to gs resources for this one)

Cheers
    Watto

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder

WE NEED PICTURES !

gday stocky

pics on his website look just like a normal tapered roller bearing except it's in the size that no one seems to be able to supply

some of the boys might find this a bit pricy but it's $45 for the bearing/cup and $20 postage from the US

But depending on how you look at it, could be cheaper/easier than finding a suitable early gixxer stem of the right dims (refering to tolerances) for the k4 lower triple and buying bushes for the top clamp

I'm taking the easy road and getting one - will post some pics once I have it and slotted the k4 front end in the slingy frame

Cheers Watto

Bloke with a smaller stick
    quote:Originally posted by Watto

Deano

mate if you could machine one up that would be awesome

pm us ya details n cost n will go from there

Cheers
    Watto
    sorry mate only just saw the question $20 will cover it

gday deano

cheers mate but have got it sorted