Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2002 GSXR rear shock

ozkat

2002 GSXR rear shock

i found this on ebay. its the same shock fitted to my 7/11. i emailed the seller and was quoted $30 us shipped here by 14day airmail that = about $71aud landed at your door. BLOODY CHEAP http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Weekend Warrior
    Man that's cheeeeeep! Why does all this stuff come to light when I've almost finished my bike???

Don't suppose that shock would fit an EF would it?

Weekend Warrior
    Anything fits (with modification...)!!! Don't think it'd suit an EF tho, it would need some work to get it working right, GSXR-600s are like 163kg or something, EFs are 238kg yeah?

Maybe an older GSXR shock might work better? Off a GSXR-W maybe?

quote:Originally posted by J7-11

Anything fits (with modification...)!!! Don't think it'd suit an EF tho, it would need some work to get it working right, GSXR-600s are like 163kg or something, EFs are 238kg yeah?

Maybe an older GSXR shock might work better? Off a GSXR-W maybe?

Aaaah actually with linkages on a monoshock, the effect of the bikes weight is reduced isn't it, as aversed to dual shocks that is?

Also wouldn't the forks actually deal with most of the weight issues, especially on forward-biased modern machinery, while the rear shocks help to keep the rear-end in line?

Also I have a mate that weighe 180 k's when he gets onto his 600 they have a combined weight greater than me and the EF, yet the rear shock still handles that, just. (he even carries pillions/luggage, which would definitely over-weight the shock)

If I customise the bike then weight is more likely to fall than increase.

A 600 shock is likely to give me a faster response times as well won't it.

I'll check out the shocks you mentioned though, thanks for that.

MarkC

Weekend Warrior
    quote:Originally posted by chalk10
    Aaaah actually with linkages on a monoshock, the effect of the bikes weight is reduced isn't it, as aversed to dual shocks that is?

Also wouldn't the forks actually deal with most of the weight issues, especially on forward-biased modern machinery, while the rear shocks help to keep the rear-end in line?

Also I have a mate that weighe 180 k's when he gets onto his 600 they have a combined weight greater than me and the EF, yet the rear shock still handles that, just. (he even carries pillions/luggage, which would definitely over-weight the shock)

If I customise the bike then weight is more likely to fall than increase.

A 600 shock is likely to give me a faster response times as well won't it.

I'll check out the shocks you mentioned though, thanks for that.

MarkC
    Just to clarify are we talking a EF or a EFE here???

The effect of weight may be reduced, but I reckon it'll still be undersprung... plus if you start getting some more horsies out of the donk, the 600 shock prob wont be able to cope with it... Not as well as a Gixer Thou shock anyway (which I happen to know where there's a cheap one...)

Most sportsbikes these days are forward biased, but it's only very slightly, like 51/49 or 52/48. The rear shock deals with a shitload, think of when you accelerate, you're putting most (more often than not, all ) of the bike and riders weight over the back wheel, not to mention the extra forces due to acceleration (espec if you start modifying...)

So add an extra 75kgs are you're most definately going to compress the shock a lot more under acceleration, and do you really want that much squat coming out of corners?

180kg dude on a 600? That I GOTTA see!!! [] But seriously most modern jap bikes are designed for a little racer guy
    in mind, 65-70kgs, and this is the weight where the suspension is designed to work best, or at least within it's setup limitations. Add an extra 100kgs and the suspension is going to be way over worked, if he got that suspension setup for his weight it would make a world of difference!

Yes I am well aware of the weight reduction benefits of streetfightering a bike! Weighing the 7/11 when it's ready is a priotiy (and I'll post up the results), aswell as many wheelies, dyno runs and a trackday (booked in at the 'creek for 29th of Jan)

When you say 'faster response times' are you talking about rebound or...?

Don't get me wrong, that 600 shock will be better than mid-80s OEM shock, I'm just saying there are better choices out there... A Thou shock if you want modern, or even a 'Busa one. It's hard to say if a slingshot or GSXR-W shock will work better than that 600 one, but I reckon both shocks stock the older ones will handle the weight a bit better...

Sorry for rambling on guys, and I'm definately not saying all of this is factual, just my opinions!

Cheers, J

Thanks a lot J, you're a top bloke.

Helped to sort out some old ideas that were still swimming around in my head.[)]

I'll definitely go for the 1100 shock, after Iv'e finished doing my electrics (damn there's a lot of individual wires to go over), and fittng a Kat nose (It's an '84 1100EF by the way).

I'm looking at a wider rear at the moment (the bike was fitted with a 17 x 2.5 off an earlier model when I got it) so I might look at GSXR11 rear ends as a whole, or what shocks are likely to bolt straight in.

Then there's the front end (still stock, new progressives though), motor(good cond. but stock), paint job, fake license for every state etc etc etc

Thanks again

Chalk10

Weekend Warrior
    No probs mate, don't take what I say as gospel tho! Might be better off posting on the OldSkool forum... although no-ones responded to my airbox mod question yet...?

Gixer 11 front and rear is the way to go, seen it on a couple of Kats and it looks awesome, especially with USD front!

Where are u by the way?

Good luck with it mate! I'm sure you'll end up with a complete beast!

Yeah must admit I like the look of the USD's.

I'm in ACT, Sydneys not too far, but Queensland takes most of the arvo (well it did before the roads became so infested with plod[^]).

Guess I'm gonna have to go out and find a new contract after my daughter returns to her mother's...............damn[V]

At least they pay well

MarkC

Aussie Streetfighter Hooligan
    Blog Entries
    QUOTE: Gixer 11 front and rear is the way to go, seen it on a couple of Kats and it looks awesome, especially with USD front!

Check out http://www.bigccracing.com/welcome.asp?page=21

or http://www.bigccracing.com/cpgallery.asp?offset=10

or http://www.bigccracing.com/pictures.asp?cat=ALL

if your looking for a few idea's ?

quote:Originally posted by Tony Nitrous

QUOTE: Gixer 11 front and rear is the way to go, seen it on a couple of Kats and it looks awesome, especially with USD front!

Check out http://www.bigccracing.com/welcome.asp?page=21

or http://www.bigccracing.com/cpgallery.asp?offset=10

or http://www.bigccracing.com/pictures.asp?cat=ALL

if your looking for a few idea's ?

Definitely looks the go, and will accommodate a Kat nose that I'm looking at mounting (KAT1135?).

As soon as we move house, I'll be starting the job.

I'm also looking at replacing my dash with a digital one, I'm building the Tacho unit at the moment. If anyone has any info on adaptors/mods for the speedo drive conversion I would be very appreciative. (I'm a computer programmer if that could be of use to anyone, plus know a bit about electronics/custom bike alarm systems).

MarkC

Weekend Warrior
    Here mate... http://www.streetfighters.com.au/for...sp?TOPIC_ID=59

Just about to put an alarm into the 7/11 by the way, I shouldn't have any hassles with it, but if I do, I'll let u know! Cheers!

Here mate... http://www.streetfighters.com.au/for...sp?TOPIC_ID=59

Just about to put an alarm into the 7/11 by the way, I shouldn't have any hassles with it, but if I do, I'll let u know! Cheers!
    Cool, the $100 option mentioned sounded the go, but a pushy speedo does sound somehow dodgy.
    I might look at modifying a standard speedo drive mechanism to feed a digital counter, it can't be that hard to add in a Hall Effect sensor (the same as used for the ignition pick-ups on a bike) or modified computer mouse sensors.

I've yet to finish the solar charger for my alarms SLA battery, on the back burner whie I sort out the current electrical faults, plus work out a circuit so that I can use the SLA to boost the Main if it's low/dying, and as an accessory power source.

MarkC

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    translation please

quote:Originally posted by ozkat

translation please
    Que? wot you want translated mate?

MarkC

Weekend Warrior
    I'm guessing your SLA is something like the alarms own battery so if someone disconnects the battery then the alarm still functions yeah? Solar charger sounds cool... let us know how u go!

I'm guessing your SLA is something like the alarms own battery so if someone disconnects the battery then the alarm still functions yeah? Solar charger sounds cool... let us know how u go!
    Yep that's pretty much it.[8D]

I'm also connecting my disc lock to the system, so that I don't ride off with it on, well try to ride off.................[V]

I also have some 1 Watt Star LED's, which give about as much power as a 25 watt mains bulb, from only a coupls of watts (indicator bulbs are 21/23 watts by comparison). They'll make a great emergency/camping light and will run for hours on my small SLA.

I'll post details when it's finished.

MarkC

Weekend Warrior
    Hmm was connecting my LED dash lights yesterday to see which colours they were (all clear until u turn 'em on) and I think they're going to burn my retina's out! At least I'll be able to see that oil light when it comes on after wheelying for k's at a time...

Hmm was connecting my LED dash lights yesterday to see which colours they were (all clear until u turn 'em on) and I think they're going to burn my retina's out! At least I'll be able to see that oil light when it comes on after wheelying for k's at a time...
    Add in a resistor to the LED power lines. I can calculate the values if you want.

I have a circuit which will automatically dull LED's in the dark[8D]
    It uses a LDR (Light Dependant Resistor) to detect light levels, and modify the amount of power running through the LED's, which also means that the LED's last for longer.

These 1 Watt Stars cost a small fortune though $17.00 a pop (warning: Jaycar sell an 'equivalent' for $12.00, they aren't equivalent really[V])

I'm going up to Sydney in a few weeks to pick up some 5 Watt Stars, they should really light things up, but they cost $50+ each.

( I once soldered a dozen 'clear' LED's into a project, only to discover that I had mixed them up with more expensive bi-color LED's(neither of which was the desired color), all of them had clear cases. What a waste[|)][)])

MarkC

Weekend Warrior
    Got all the resistors already mate! They should last for ages, since they're hardly ever on... Hmm do LEDs need to be isolated from vibration as much as possible? Do I have to mount them on a PCB or can I just run them in-line and put heat shrink over them or something?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast