Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HAS ANYONE TRIED VINYL WRAPPING?

Weekend Warrior
    I must be living under a rock as I didn't even know this stuff existed.
    Looks great and I see there are a few places doing it in Oz. Could be wrong but probably costs megadollars to get your parts dipped here.
    Start up costs for a small tank operation don't appear too high though especially if the stuff comes out of the US or China. Had a look at the Liquid Concepts forum and there appears to be a lot of small operators in the US. Is there a market for it?

http://www.liquidconcepts.com/phpBB3...php?f=23&t=613
    http://www.gorilladip.com/Hydro_Dipping_Film.php
    https://www.liquidconcepts.com/shop/
    http://www.hydrographics.com.au/
    Last edited by Jinx; 13-11-2012 at 09:10 AM.

Weekend Warrior
    Carbon Fibre wrap side covers on the V Max now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sidecover.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	2859

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    I tried to wrap the busa tank.........I failed remarkably.....I painted it...., the guys on Youtube make vinyl wrapping look a hell of a lot easier than it is. That paint dipping is the go, they use it to put the camo pattern on the archery bows and it gets in all the nooks and cranies really well.

ASF Standard Full Member Redmohawk's Avatar
    There is a mob selling blank paper backed PVA sheet for hydrodipping , you Just print with an inkjet printer (with non waterbased ink, usally oilbased) let it dry. Peel paper off PVA and put sheet into water bath, spray ink activator and dip.

Manufacture in china when I looked at it a while back they wouldnt sell to Aus for some stupid reason. I think there was a utube vid of someone from brazil doing the same with a email adress for sales but I never bothered to chase it down. You can print pritty much anything you can print with a standard inkjet then.

ASF Premium Full Member fimpBIKES's Avatar
    i wonder how the vynil wrap goes with petrol fumes etc too

also wonder what the cost is vs wrapping in actual carbon, which i suspect would be easier on a complex shape than the vynil
    Rev the fucker!!!!!

Direct from 3M

" While the material has a 12 year lifespan indoors, it has a 4 year vertical lifespan outdoors (3 years in desert sun). This is all dependent on UV light exposure, so if the material is installed on a car that is parked in a garage during the day or a show car that is mostly indoors, you can expect the material to last longer. It’s water resistant, so rain and snow won’t be a problem. Horizontal outdoor decoration is not recommended by 3M as exposure to maximum sunlight and environmental conditions can cause color change, loss of gloss, chalking and premature failure."

It can be clear coated (or epoxy coated) , to improve UV resistance but it changes the visual effect. Personaly by the time you fuck about doing all that it would be as easy and similar price to just CF it in the first place.

Vinyl will prob be ok for small fuel splashes , but some petrol additives would be an exelent glue solvent.
    Last edited by Redmohawk; 14-11-2012 at 07:40 PM.

Yep tried it. Filled in a rainy afternoon.

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	4388

Three hands would make it easier....This was a homework assignment for a class I'm taking next week.

Name:	photo1.jpg 
Views:	25 
ID:	4389

Weekend Warrior
    A friends busa. If anyone is interested in having parts wrapped in Melbourne send sidmarwah81(at)gmail.com an email. works from home so realistic prices etc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 428109_10151415026126994_770745580_n.jpg   428109_10151415026131994_275758069_n.jpg   941498_10151415026186994_609614961_n.jpg   942519_10151415026111994_681651828_n.jpg  
    Last edited by Tim; 03-06-2013 at 10:06 PM.

Is that Sid's Busa??

Quote Originally Posted by Aido View Post
    Three hands would make it easier....This was a homework assignment for a class I'm taking next week.

Name:	photo1.jpg 
Views:	25 
ID:	4389

Looks to have come up well, what class you doing ?

Weekend Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by wackyrider View Post
    Is that Sid's Busa??
    yeap wanted to make sure I had his permission to post it before I posted a name.

Tried to do a tank yet ?

ASF Depleted Uranium Member Large's Avatar

Weekend Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by StuNVA View Post
    Tried to do a tank yet ?
    Sid's Response
    The shape/contour of a busa tank is not that complex. I have wrapped harder shapes previously, so the tank should be easy enough.

Doing a day with Avery next week in vehicle wrapping and 3m next month.Installation of graphics and wraps is not a recognised trade or certificate but experience counts. Vehicle wrapping is becoming the new custom "thing" and the finishes available now are fucken ace. I'm going to have a crack at learning the process for top notch finishes and looking to either get employment and or subcontract work in installation.
    Will be looking for guinea pigs shortly.

Homework today was wrapping a fuel tank in gloss white.....After 2 shots at it and much muttering of "Oh Bother" I understand there is much to learn. Car panels look like a fucken doddle compared to bike parts.

Its bad enough wrapping bike bits in real carbon , let alone the vinyl. I have enough trouble laying window tint without fucking it.

Blog Entries
    having just done enough to know what a ass fuck this is I can honestly tell you all fuck that........
    done well can be have very intresting results but I surspect it soon will become the new black.

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder
    It's easy when you have a brother-in-law who does it for a living. He does a lot of the Qld based V8 supercars. We've only just recently talked about doing my whole bike with it as he hasn't done one before and wants to give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by fimpBIKES View Post
    fuck thats hard to spot!
    the bike or female whom owns it

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast