Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Yella's ZX7 project

Finally have a pic or 2 of my 7 in the wild

had to see it back together done that,
    Now I can pull some of the bits back off to polish or paint as need aswell as make up some other bit (headlight finish belly etc) with a complete picture to clear up what I want not sure if I will ever be 100% happy

Also found I need to move the dash a bit it can not be seen when riding needs to sit flatter nothing big but something I did not expect
    'Originally Posted by rock hard stock swingarms are for blokes with balls!! ha ha'

I would love to become a professional whistler. I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.

Yella turbo ZX7 Winner VCM Best Streetfighter and SOS encouragement award NFR 2011
    http://www.streetfighters.com.au/for...-s-ZX7-project

quote:Originally posted by fimpBIKES

mirrors look good, i've had ones on the tl like that for a while now
    with the flatbars your arms are out so there is a nice gap under em, not sure about with those clip-ons
    keen to find out though
    Mirrors well I can sort of use them didn't ride far enough to really test but I think they will do just fine
    'Originally Posted by rock hard stock swingarms are for blokes with balls!! ha ha'

I would love to become a professional whistler. I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.

Yella turbo ZX7 Winner VCM Best Streetfighter and SOS encouragement award NFR 2011

ASF Premium Full Member
    looking good Yella love the color

Started working on a new headlight design
    the one I had

the start of the new one, early stages

Not sure if I like it yet need to put some more time into it but figured I would post up while I wait for the glass to set

You have to try and picture it complete, painted and fitted etc
    Now play nice and let me know what you think should I keep going or start again???

it will look good fitted. you didnt want to put the indicators in it too? what did you make the mold out of?

just playing around with it, maybe shorten it down a bit and not sure on the indicators yet probably tuck them away at the bottom.
    I used an old KX 125 front guard it was handy the right shape so a bonus

Something about it I am not sure about looks OK on the bench but looks different on the bike maybe to thin and tall??? fucked if I know will look again a little later and pick up some resin to make a fatter version see if I like that more

ASF Premium Full Member
    I reckon it would look a little better if it were a bit fatter and a little shorter but it would only need a small ampunt taken of the bottom just my 2c

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    hmmm getting there keep going !!

first try

now shorter fatter please forgive the quality so far its only a rough knock up once Im happy I will use it as a mold

still don't know may scrap it all together

i don't mind the second version. the first is way too skinny though.

Portsmouth costa del south coast, England
    I rekon cut some angles in it. across the two bottom corners, straighten up the sides and the top. In its current form I think it is too rounded to suite the lines of the bike ?

alf

????????

Gunna make up a couple of different shapes units (angles etc)tomorrow after I get back from EC ( doing a suspension check and adjust follow up for a fella from work while he is doing his first track day )anyway did this last night just a little chop here and sand there after looking at some the photochop job from XA for an idea but I think I am starting to like it

still needs something but looks better in real life than the pic

Looks better in the flesh than in the pics

That looks sweet. I like how it doesn't wrap right around the lower light. Size looks good too.

OK so I got up today with a clear head and feeling good so I found the fastest way to kill that off

Having never put turbo on anything from scratch or even played with something with turbo and carb's I figured this will be a head fuck[xx(][xx(] but ya get that so after some quick ebaying I picked up a 2nd turbo

figure one would not be enough and it was going cheap $40 sweet. Now this will take some time for me to get going but

a little bit of internet research outside the forum and I found this,

And a quick note on what was done,
    quote El hunga "Ye thats my baby & yes its a pain in the butt.
    I get 300 BHP at the wheel at 25 psi boost.
    Only problem it cant be ridden for long as the front wheel is in the air most of the time.
    I would like to tell you that I have spent lots of money changing the internals but I would be lying to you if I did.
    The truth is the engine internals are pretty standard from Factory.
    The original crank & rods are designed to handle high RPM so I choose to take into consideration & use it into my advantage.
    What I did was install a 4mm decompression plate to reduce the compression.
    The only thing was that when I did that the new chains were to short so I had to put spacers between the tensioner to allow the tensioner to work efficiently.
    The cams have been changed from originals, the standard ones work from 9000 rpm to 12000 rpm where max power is.
    Now my power output is between 6700 to 9000 rpm thus making the power almost instant when the revs come up thus making the bike slightly difficult to ride around corners unlike original.
    Original you can be on 2 gear doing 7000 to 8000 rpm around the corners with no problem when you increase the revs, my beast is on boost so when you turn the corners at that rpm you will be in the air or the rear wheel spinning to trying to beat the front.
    I wanted to prove that to turbo a ZXR 750 was possible but also get good power from it as well.
    Most people talk about injection which is easier but I wanted to do the standard carbs to show you can do it also, injection would be easier but that to me is cheating.
    Anyone can do injection but carbs are very difficult.
    Currently on 25 psi boost it stands up on the rear wheel at 300 klms easy. Very scary when its a street fighter.
    The only problem I have is when you are on boost you cannot just release the throttle as it would flood the engine from the amount of fuel that has rushed in.
    I do have ignition advancers also as well as very large ports in the cylinder head. They have been increase by a further 35% to allow for the extra power increase also the gearbox has been blue printed to handle the power.
    The engine can handle it no problem you just have to decrease the power band thats all.
    "

Now he has made some big claims 25psi/300hp at the wheel and all, I’m not looking for that but he has done it to a zx7 so I will read more later
    For now if anyone can tell me any helpful info that would be great i.e. approximate fuel pressure required? will I require a rising rate pressure regulator? will I need to adjust cam timing or ignition timing ETC ETC
    or just flame away up to you

For starters if he's got a 4mm cyl spacer he'd be running about 6.2:1 comp which would be absolutely crap off boost & to increase the port size 35% would make this worse. It would be unrideable. He's either spinning shit or full of it.

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder
    ok ben i have considered this aiso for my zxr750 but dont know where to start and you being the kwacka guru you are having done a few now sorry lost count on how many ,what size turbo is good to start with also running carbs i only want about 150-180 hp this is an everyday bike so i dont want big boost just a mild set up.

quote:And a quick note on what was done,
    quote El hunga "Ye thats my baby & yes its a pain in the butt.
    I get 300 BHP at the wheel at 25 psi boost.
    Only problem it cant be ridden for long as the front wheel is in the air most of the time.
    I would like to tell you that I have spent lots of money changing the internals but I would be lying to you if I did.
    The truth is the engine internals are pretty standard from Factory.
    The original crank & rods are designed to handle high RPM so I choose to take into consideration & use it into my advantage.
    What I did was install a 4mm decompression plate to reduce the compression.The only thing was that when I did that the new chains were to short so I had to put spacers between the tensioner to allow the tensioner to work efficiently.
    The cams have been changed from originals, the standard ones work from 9000 rpm to 12000 rpm where max power is.
    Now my power output is between 6700 to 9000 rpm thus making the power almost instant when the revs come up thus making the bike slightly difficult to ride around corners unlike original.
    Original you can be on 2 gear doing 7000 to 8000 rpm around the corners with no problem when you increase the revs, my beast is on boost so when you turn the corners at that rpm you will be in the air or the rear wheel spinning to trying to beat the front.
    I wanted to prove that to turbo a ZXR 750 was possible but also get good power from it as well.
    Most people talk about injection which is easier but I wanted to do the standard carbs to show you can do it also, injection would be easier but that to me is cheating.
    Anyone can do injection but carbs are very difficult.
    Currently on 25 psi boost it stands up on the rear wheel at 300 klms easy. Very scary when its a street fighter.
    The only problem I have is when you are on boost you cannot just release the throttle as it would flood the engine from the amount of fuel that has rushed in.I do have ignition advancers also as well as very large ports in the cylinder head. They have been increase by a further 35% to allow for the extra power increase also the gearbox has been blue printed to handle the power.The engine can handle it no problem you just have to decrease the power band thats all."
    This guy is full of shit.
    So he's making 300 at the wheel on 25psi boost on what looks like a T25 turbo that would struggle to make 250hp, he's got no intercooler so his intake charge would be absurdly hot,he's running ignition ADVANCERS?? with that much boost you would want to retard the ignition not advance it, it stands up on the rear wheel at 300km/h call me cynical but I think not, & can someone explain to me how Blueprinting a gearbox increases it's strength??

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast