Thread: start of project rover v8 trike with auto

New to Streetfighters

start of project rover v8 trike with auto

Good evening all. Thanks for the ad. Just a quick intro. I have been planning tis build for sometime. parts gathering for it involves finding engine a suitable automatic transaxle frame LPG system. so here's what I have so far.
    a frame free
    a engine free
    a LPG twin gas carby on rover manifold $150
    LPG tank in date & plumbing free

The plan is to mount the engine solid to incorporate it as part of the frame. So here's what it will consist of 3.5 litre rover adapted to an Alfa Romeo ZF3HP22 auto transaxle by using the Alfa trans the diff is at the rear of the trans instead of the front as in the case of VW etc. This gives along wheel base compared to a flipped VW box. here are a couple of pics to start & will put up more as I proceed.

ASF Depleted Uranium Member Large's Avatar
    Hi rv8k.

I'm not sure what you're building would be a streetfighter, but go ahead and posts some pics.

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder
    Hi mate and welcome,

Sounds cool. No reason why you cant have a streetfighter style trike. i built one back in the mother country which was a fighter style. GS850GT frame and tank, GS1000G engine, swingarm rear suspension, ZZR front end, MX bars, Bikini fairing, Cut down micron ZX9R zorst. Loud and mucho funno.

Anyway, back to toppic, will be VERY interested to see how this build goes. The RBS engineering V8 trikes were some of my favourites. They had the frame in 2 halves, the headstock half bolted to the alternator/engine lifting mounts on the front of the heads, and the rear of the frame bolted to the bellhousing/gearbox mounts. Just left the engine really clean looking (for a car engine)
    If i'd stayed in england it was deffo on my wish list to build a V8 trike. I had plans in my head to build a short stocky fighter style V8 trike, no transmission, just bellhousing and clutch driving straight into tail shaft. Sort of like taking off in 4th gear all the time, but no problems for a V8 to do this lol. And a big monoshock swingarm holding a car axle of some kind, almost a bit like a BIG quad rear end. Slingshot esque frame and stretched/widened tank, monster tripples to take a 180 wide front tyre and beefed up USD front end..................Getting me all excited again just thinking about it but would be way too hard to get on the road here so......back in the memorie banks for that one lol

Anyway, plenty of pics, that what we want and asap!

Oh, would any parts from the 4sp ZF autos used in the later rangeover classics and Discos aid your conversion.
    Bellhousings, drive plates, Torque Converter etc might be compatible or eassier points to start from than other rover stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by roverv8kombi View Post
    Good evening all. Thanks for the ad. Just a quick intro. I have been planning tis build for sometime. parts gathering for it involves finding engine a suitable automatic transaxle frame LPG system. so here's what I have so far.
    a frame free
    a engine free
    a LPG twin gas carby on rover manifold $150
    LPG tank in date & plumbing free

The plan is to mount the engine solid to incorporate it as part of the frame. So here's what it will consist of 3.5 litre rover adapted to an Alfa Romeo ZF3HP22 auto transaxle by using the Alfa trans the diff is at the rear of the trans instead of the front as in the case of VW etc. This gives along wheel base compared to a flipped VW box. here are a couple of pics to start & will put up more as I proceed.
    Those Alfa 75 Auto gearboxes also have a ZF limited slipper in them. The Alfa guys never seem to use the autos for anything other than stripping the LSD plates out of.

Any pictures yet RV8K?
    Do you actually have Rover V8 powered Kombi by the way?
    What's the format of the trike, by the sounds of it, engine up front, then transaxle with seating above it, some sort of homebuilt IRS, or are you able to use the alpha stuff for this s well? Rad at back?
    What's the plans for the front end? Big bike forks and tiller bars to get some leverage, or big leading link or springer forks to eliminate the trail and lighten the steering?
    Whats the V8 from, car or 4x4, carby or efi?
    Sorry for all the questions, just always been keen on trikes especially when not vw based.
    Cheers jack

*alfa

Weekend Warrior
    G'day Ernie, nice to see you here mate. I'm Squalo on Kombi Club...

Yes Jack, Ernie is indeed building a mid-engined Rover V8 Kombi. I'll let him fill you in on that one.

Cool, the Rover V8 is a great engine and very light for it's size but let down by average carbs and like all things Rover, terrible electrics lol

New to Streetfighters
    G'day all. Sorry for delay with pics. I have been busy working on the kombi v8. here are some pics of where I'm up to on the trike.

New to Streetfighters

New to Streetfighters
    [imghttp://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y406/roverv8kombi/003_zpsktigmer8.jpg" [/img]

New to Streetfighters

New to Streetfighters
    sorry out the pics being spread out how do I load a group instead of 1 or 2 at a time
    ernie

New to Streetfighters
    good afternoon.

This is the guard set up I plan on using. They are made under licence so I can't flop them.

some pics will do brief info with a tyre rim insitu. I will be able to run 18 20 inch rims

transmission location

Full LPG carby set up I need to find smaller filters for it

this is the auto transaxle on the back with the Di Dion suspension

the auto as a unit

this is the adaptor to bolt the alfa auto onto the rover. It came from Channel 7 analogue station when they went digital $10.00 scrap value. I then had it machined to suit the 1/2 bellhousing

this is the 1st day of checking dimensions

couple of pics of the mid engine roverv8 4wd kombi.
    I the 2nd pic you c see the Toyota Hi Ace. diesel 5 speed & Nissan 720 divorced transfercase.

the engine covers are power board boxes

Last edited by roverv8kombi; 20-02-2016 at 06:53 PM.

Blog Entries
    Wow, this is crazy! Keep it coming!

Aussie Streetfighter Hooligan
    orsome i like the old rover lump