Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Ranga Bike gets some upgrades

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace

The Ranga Bike gets some upgrades

After a hit and miss race season in Mod Bike at Kwinana with the BLOWN12 turbo GSXR1216, I decided that I'd had enough of carbies for a while and would do a few mods to the orange K1 GSXR1000 so it can be used for my track bike for the next season.

Now that I've got my black K6 back for a road bike and most of my bits have turned up, I can make a start.

I'd used the orange bike a few times for ANDRA rounds when the other one was playing up but with a sit up riding position and my fat arse, it was never going to be quick.

So, with my garage having been run over by an excavator a few months back, Rock Hard kindly offered me some workshop space and his expert assistance to get this thing started.

First up was to fit some swingarm extensions to help tame the bike's tendency to wheelie through the first few gears, which is fun but makes my times embarrassingly slow.

These are 4" to 6" extensions I got from the net and they fit nicely.
    I'll need to look for a long brake line but that should be easy.

I put these in first so we could measure up to order a long chain and a bigger back spocket.

The combination of the two should get the bike out of the hole a bit quicker and get me some respectable 1/4 mile times.

Oh, fucken hello !!

I ordered a turbo kit from Jack Frost at Holeshot Racing.
    True to form, it took a while to be sent out, when it got here, some of the bits were missing, and when THEY got here, one of them doesnt fit properly.
    Anyway, it'll all work out in the end. He does know his shit but it's a bit frustrating.

This system is going to run at 7psi which should be 230odd hp. At 15psi boost it should punch out 320 odd but I will need pistons and rods in it first. Maybe next season.
    For the moment, it's just a special cometic head gasket and adjustable cam sprockets.
    I'll slip in a new timing chain and adjuster as well for extra comfort.

So, Mozz was keen to drop the motor in order to make it easy for him to set up cam timing after the head goes back on. So out she came.
    Not a big job and with this being the first modern bike donk I've taken out, I was surprised at how light it is.

Here's the motor, ready to have the head off when Mozz gets the inclination. Cam sprocks are at least a week away yet so there's not a massive rush.

Next thing is to start looking for places to mount the extra guages without being too intrusive.

Morry is trying to convince me to go to clip ons but I'm resisting so far.
    There's plenty of other goodies to go on but I'll keep them secret until they get fitted in order to keep this thread interesting without resorting to tits.

Blog Entries
    You don't Fck about do you Phill, love your work looks awesome..

Bloke with a smaller stick BANDITROD's Avatar
    Fuck yeah rocket that's the go mate

Glenn Eason drinks and smokes and lends his arse to other blokes

Blog Entries
    Into it already mate! Love your work.

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder
    You guys always keep things interesting over there, great work by the way

ASF Depleted Uranium Member Large's Avatar
    Got any Monsters left?

Only in his pants.

Here the engine is up on the chopping block.

the pointy sump needs a good wooden cradle

Head off cleaned up the chambers cant lap the valves.thats the problem with Titanium..

replaced the stock .7mm head gasket with a 2.5mm Cometic to drop the compression

tention the head and slip a new camchain in..just waiting for some adjustable cam sprockets to dial the cams..
    As a mechanic i just Love Suzuki engines they are well built and straight forward to work on and service! Rockets buke has about 30k on the clock..bores look like new..it just needs 2 exhaust valve shims the other 14 were spot on..

Awesome !
    Word on the street is that the new sprockets will be here Monday or Tuesday.

Got out in the shed today fitted up the actautor
    with a little fiddling..i was suprised how much weight hangs off the exhaust studs..still a million little jobs to do..
    so Rocket get your finger out!!!

Good stuff men

Cam timing is done..now just button the top and side covers up engine back in the frame and over to you Rocket its time to get all that stuff bolted on..Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cam timing 009.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	940Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cam timing 005.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	941Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cam timing 006.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	942Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cam timing 007.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	943Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cam timing 008.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	944

ASF Premium Full Member fimpBIKES's Avatar
    Boner time!!!
    Rev the fucker!!!!!

Weekend Warrior
    The bike looks sweet. interesting to see what kind of times you get out of it.

The plan is that when Mozzy gets back from the bush next, we'll slot the motor in the frame and it can finally come back to my place as I now have somewhere to keep it and I can start putting it back together and fitting all the bits and pieces to it like the lock up clutch, boost controller, shifter etc etc.
    At this time, I'm sure we won't have it ready for this season so I'll be using the road bike with extensions for the next few meetings.
    Hopefully it'll be all ready for after the winter.

Extentions,you told me you were all natural..ha ha
    yeah Rocket its going to be a big week, your motor,prep Bullfrog and WESTERN NATIONALS..do i sound excited...FUCK YEAH..im pumped..see ya when i get home mate..."let the sledging begin"

I can't believe it's so long since I posted anything on this topic.
    Which of course, means, I haven't done a great deal of late.

But with the race seacon coming up in a few months, I'd better pull finger !!

I got the bike back home a couple of months back from Rockhard's house so I could make a start on it.

I've had a few issues with bits not fitting properly with the turbo kit I got for it but I can work through most of those things.

A month or so back, I fitted this lock up clutch from MTC.
    Looks very nice, hopefuly it works good too !
    I also had to get a new clutch cover because of the extra width.

I've had some issues with oil lines not being long enough and being wrong, I'm also missing some adaptors to fit the new injectors into the throttle bodies, but they're being sent now along with a missing fitting.
    Turns out this oil line IS the right one.
    Apparently I have it on the wrong side. Easy fixed.

So today, while I'm waiting on the injector and fuel line bits, I fitted up a longer brake line and bled all the that up.
    Then changed the sprockets on the bike so the front is now down by one and the rear is up by three.
    I ran this gearing on the N/A K6 1000 last season and that was getting into fifth gear so hopefully this gearing will let me use all of fifth and maybe even some of sixth.
    Had a cnt of a time getting the front sprocket undone.
    My 18v Ryobi rattle gun wouldnt touch it and with the step daughter with a breaker bar leaning on the rear brack pedal, and me with a breaker bar trying to undo the nut, it was just not gunna work.
    So I had to go borrow Rockhards air rattle gun and with a bit of work, it finally came free.
    Now I just have to find what the fuck I did with the chain I took off the K6 at the end of last season and I can re-use that.

My progress is being hampered a bit by my new house having fck all decent lighting in the shed so I can fiddle with it at night.
    All I can do at the moment is try and find time and motivation on the weekends to do stuff to it.
    But I am going to get some lighting sorted soon, even temporary lighting so I can start on it after work during the week instead of sitting on my fat arse in front of the tele.

looking good phil will be good to see it finished

ASF Premium Full Member MattyDucati's Avatar
    Good stuff bloke, should be fun at the lights
    Cheers Matt

I hate being bipolar, its awesome!

Blog Entries
    Nice one Phill. I'm amazed you have any time with a new house mate. Good on ya.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast