Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: hooligans vfr 800

ASF Premium Full Member
    It been a while.
    Just a quick update without pics for now. when I got my new work bike (MT09) I decided to do some stuff to the Vfr. Working on a new headlight, currently mounted on dodgy as fuck brackets I made, with wiring to be sorted out.
    And before nfr, I took of the rad guard, and noticed some random leaks from my 1 year old Chinese TL1000 R rad, so I pulled that off, and started to figure out a custom one.
    Rode the MT to NFR, and it was fucking fun. Crashed the MT on 10/12, and am currently typing this one handed on my iPad with a plate and 10 screws holding the bones in my forearm together. And a fibreglass cast (black, of course) from knuckles to armpit. Could be worse, my uncle once had a cast that size on for 2 years to get his arm and shoulder together decades ago after crashing his vincent rapide.
    So, apart from the er6n headlight and rad, I've also got a coil on plug conversion, zx14 master cylinders and shorty levers to go on.
    If I had 2 hands, I'd be getting some work done.
    Cast won't be off for another 2 to 4 weeks, so there'll be more waiting time, but maybe ready for next nfr. I'll post pics next time.
    more titanium than my bike

ASF Premium Full Member MattyDucati's Avatar
    Sucks on the staka bud, heal up
    Cheers Matt

I hate being bipolar, its awesome!

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    Blog Entries
    how good are those zx14 masters.....

ASF Premium Full Member
    No idea, haven't used them yet. Got a pair for $100Us delivered. Already have a radial brake mc, but now I'll have a matching pair rather than Gixxer brake and shitty old Vfr for the clutch.
    Anther guy who fightered his Vfr put a pair on and liked them, so I thought I'd give them a go.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
    No idea, haven't used them yet. Got a pair for $100Us delivered. Already have a radial brake mc, but now I'll have a matching pair rather than Gixxer brake and shitty old Vfr for the clutch.
    Anther guy who fightered his Vfr put a pair on and liked them, so I thought I'd give them a go.
    if you want a diff rez for them look at the gtr14, small mod but its what im thinking of useing

ASF Premium Full Member
    I don't have any reservoirs for them at the moment, so may be an option, that or BXP reservoirs.

ASF Premium Full Member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	er6n headlight.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	6454Click image for larger version. 

Name:	er6n headlight works.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	6455Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vfr and mt.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	6456

So hand is still not quite right, so I got my brother to come round and help with the soldering (i needed 4 hands). Headlight is now wired up and ready to go. LED parking globe, and i mated the twin H7 globes to the vfr H4 harness. I got it all ready months ago, then my arm made the headlight less important, and soldering a bit hard.
    The custom rad is loosely bolted on, but not plumbed in. That's next, I'll need to make some more brackets for it to get it right.
    And one of the front of the new MT.

Blog Entries
    Sweetness

Weekend Warrior
    Good to see you are well enough to get some work done on the bikes. would be a small therapy to at least get into the shed

ASF Premium Full Member
    the new rad is now plumbed in, and bike filled with coolant. I even started it up and ran it for a while, no leaks.
    And thats pretty good sisnce the battery hasnt been on a tender, and it hasnt been started in 8 or 9 months.

Also finished off swapping in the coil on plug set up froma CBR1000, no more coil packs, which means more room under the tank, and a bit lighter, too.
    The CBR stick coils are a bit shorter, so i extended the spark plugs with motherboard standoffs - pinched that idea from VFRD.

Blog Entries
    Good to see you getting back into this one mate. There's a spate of building energy happening at the moment around here!

Aussie Streetfighter Hooligan
    awesome Chris nice bike too lol ...hows yer self after your .latest flying lesson

ASF Premium Full Member
    im pretty good, Jimmy.
    been going to the gym to get the strength back in my hand/wrist, so lost weight, down to 90kgs, but more muscle. Which is nice.
    Wrist is pretty good, not quite as flexible/dextrous as before, but good considering how bad the bone explosion was. And since im already white collar, doesn't really matter like it did when i was still a chef.

and there was no flying, more crumpling behind the pajero, no flying past it.
    Finally getting arond to stuff I'd planned on doing last christmas -next up, putting on the zx14 radial clutch and brake MCs and ex creations reservoirs.

ASF Premium Full Member
    zx14 radial clutch MC is on and bled, and i changed the LH switchgear - i'd cleaned the original one maybe 6 times over the years, it was just old - it kept sticking. Now the indicator switch is nice and crisp.
    I need to clean the clutch slave piston, I think. Clutch lever is firm, no bubbles coming out, but it doesn't disengage properly when you pull the clutch.

Weekend Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
    I need to clean the clutch slave piston, I think. Clutch lever is firm, no bubbles coming out, but it doesn't disengage properly when you pull the clutch.
    Common problem with VFRs and pretty sure that's what led to the premature death of my original clutch at 80k. The slave piston sticks halfway along the bore, so the plates never fully engage.

I just held the slave over a bucket and pumped the piston out, cleaned from master to slave, and re-installed with new fluid - worked great (well, along with a new Barnett kevlar clutchpack). But a slave rebuild kit is pretty cheap and probably worth fitting.

ASF Premium Full Member
    never noticed a problem before with it, only after i changed the MC's. It was dry for a day or 2 while i found the time.
    i'll have a look tonight, see if it is covered in crud i can clean off with complete disassembly, and get a rebuild kit if that doesn't work.

hey chris - good to see back in action mate

who did your custom rad?

ASF Premium Full Member
    Race radiators in Dandenong.
    Not exactly right, but pretty good. The fan was supposed to be further to the right like my old one (I sent the old one down for reference). Fan doesn't fit, but I probably won't need it anyway.
    It's smaller, but a42mm core instead of a standard 16mm. Should do the job easy.

ASF Premium Full Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phantom View Post
    Common problem with VFRs and pretty sure that's what led to the premature death of my original clutch at 80k. The slave piston sticks halfway along the bore, so the plates never fully engage.

I just held the slave over a bucket and pumped the piston out, cleaned from master to slave, and re-installed with new fluid - worked great (well, along with a new Barnett kevlar clutchpack). But a slave rebuild kit is pretty cheap and probably worth fitting.
    It was pretty dirty in there after 160,000ks. Gave it a quick clean out, but no joy.
    Not much movement from the piston when i squeezed the lever (a few mm). Gave the lever a full squeeze and got maybe 5mm of movement at the piston. Couldnt imagine that having much effect.
    For the princely sum of $80, i have a new slave cylinder on the way from honda. Not a rebuild kit, complete new slave. Seemed cheap for the whole assembly, so i bought it. It was in stock in Aus, so should have it in a few days.
    Lets see what the next problem is.

ASF Premium Full Member
    so, i realised that the zx14 shorty brake lever didn't quite fit. And the brake light switch was broken.
    So i swapped the switch from a GSXR radial MC i had. Perfect fit.
    Then i thought I'd check, the GSXR lever was also a perfect fit. Turns out i got a zx14 clutch MC and GSXR Brake MC. Already had one of those.
    Since i already had the lever, i got to work filing it down to fit properly. Once Id done that, i had to figure out how to extend the piece that triggers the switch.
    In the pics you'll see the cut down bolt that i used, double side taped to the lever, and then heat shrinked to make it as neat as i could. Backyard engineering at its finest.

Name:	IMG_4635.JPG 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	7218Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4637.JPG 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	7219

and i swapped this

Name:	IMG_4643.JPG