Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: K3 Gsxr750 at WSID

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder

K3 Gsxr750 at WSID

I took my bike out to Eastern Creek last night to see what sort of times I could get. I was having real trouble getting the thing off the line. Tried a heap of different things, but nothing seemed to work. Fastest I ran was an 11.6sec @ 125mph and 60ft was between 2.0 and 2.2 all night. I know if I can get my 60 ft down to 1.8 I'll be in the 10's.

I got a heap of tips on the night on how to launch, but I found it hard to do what they where telling me. Has anyone got any tips to get off the line a bit quicker? Bike was stock height and length.

ASF Premium Full Member
    Apologies for not answering your question but interesting the time you have done.

We did a day at Ravenswood back in 1983 myself on a '81 GpZ1100, mate on Katana and another mate on CB 1100R I believe my best time was 11.6 Kat was 11.4 and can't remember the Honda but interesting a 750 is doing the times what we were doing back in '83 on 1100's.

we were very bad at drag racing by the way just street riders who went for the fun of it but even still, interesting, well to me anyway!! end of absolute nonsensical diatribe.

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Just take off like you're at the lights mate, then practice, practice, practice. Then when you've done that , practice some more. That time really isn't shabby, be proud of it.

Nice pappas, if you can scout out some pic's, be sure to post them up.
    Monster GSXR 7/11 RIP!
    Raven R1 Demon.
    K7 750 German Style (under construction)

quote:Originally posted by Hagarr

Apologies for not answering your question but interesting the time you have done.

We did a day at Ravenswood back in 1983 myself on a '81 GpZ1100, mate on Katana and another mate on CB 1100R I believe my best time was 11.6 Kat was 11.4 and can't remember the Honda but interesting a 750 is doing the times what we were doing back in '83 on 1100's.

we were very bad at drag racing by the way just street riders who went for the fun of it but even still, interesting, well to me anyway!! end of absolute nonsensical diatribe.
    There was a rider on an R6 that did an 11.2, a faster much lighter person on my bike should do a 10.5. I think the 1100's would have similar power to the 750 but the 750 only weighs 166kg dry.

Yeah Fish, I'm going to put a TRE on the bike and go and practice some starts. The shit thing was, after i did a burnout I did a practice launch each time which was 10 times better than my actual start!

Bloke with a smaller stick
    That is quite interesting as I took my k5 gsxr600 to heathcote last weekend and was doin 11.6 @ 124mph and I am no drag racer best 60ft times were around 2.05 and 2.1 would have expected a 750 to do better mph than a road geared 600

Practice is the key and I need more as well

Good pics

How much do you weigh Deano? I weighed 129kg with all my gear on. I'm guessing that would have affected my mph. My bike weighed 198kg fully fueled, so total weight was 327kg.

I still think the bike is capable of a low 11 with me on it, like everyone has said I just got to practice.

Bloke with a smaller stick
    88kg with normal clothes on. Add for leathers mate

ASF Premium Full Member DCRacing's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I am not a drag racer, but a mate who was doing a bit, got some advice from Joe Marshall which was basically this: Take off like you are at the lights in the rain with the cops watching you. Then as soon as the clutch is out get the throttle open and hold it open..... or words to that effect.
    I sort of use this when starting races and it seems to work for me, generally 8th - 9th on the start grid and usually 4th or so in turn 1........... then i fuck up and spend the rest of the race chasing the pack
    What The...?

Thats the trouble with reality........not everyone participates

ASF Premium Full Member DCRacing's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think this only works when there is no lock up clutch tho
    What The...?

Thats the trouble with reality........not everyone participates

Yeah when I go back, that's exactly how I plan on launching DC.

I took the bike out to WSID last night again in the hope of getting a high 10. I put a smaller front sprocket on and removed any weight i could off the bike, also went with half a tank of fuel instead of a full tank. Bike weighed in at 185kg and 310kg with me on it. So managed to save 17kg (partly because I've lost some weight).

I ran pretty consistent 11.1's most of the night. Maggoo turned up halfway through the night with some straps to pull the front end down. I managed to launch a fair bit harder with the straps but still didn't break into that 10 second bracket! Fastest run of the night was my last, 11.044 @ 127mph and a 1.859 60ft.

I was using the clutch to shift gears which I think has cost me some time and possibly a 10 sec run. I plan on losing 20kg, so that should finally see me get my target.

On a side note there was a katana there last night that ran 10.9 with a 1.7 60ft, no straps or swing arm extension which was impressive for such an old bike!

Blog Entries
    i was out there last nite as well mate 1st time dragraceing the busa and i did 4 passes a 13.27 , 12.064 , 12.600 , 12.601 it was shuch a hoot i will be going back there to drop my times , bike weighed in at 256kg all up 406 kg with rider

Hey Kev, I remember speaking to you about your bike and the weight of the Busa. It's good fun out there! Definitely gets the adrenaline pumping.

Blog Entries
    yeah totally agree im hooked will be there next week was thinking of takeing the bandit out there for sum fun

Some photo's from the night:

quote:Originally posted by kev@vcm

i was out there last nite as well mate 1st time dragraceing the busa and i did 4 passes a 13.27 , 12.064 , 12.600 , 12.601 it was shuch a hoot i will be going back there to drop my times , bike weighed in at 256kg all up 406 kg with rider
    Hey kev what was your mph on those runs?

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    I launch like I kind want to do a rolling burnout off the line, stage shallow so the second light just comes on and leave on the last yellow and ride the clutch to keep the font down don't back off, just clutch a little........ now if I could just do all that I might be able to launch as well. I get 1.6 - 1.8 doing that.

Blog Entries
    quote:Originally posted by pappas

quote:Originally posted by kev@vcm

Hey kev what was your mph on those runs?
    my MPH was 114.47 on average

Interesting Kev, I thought the Busa would be up around the 125-130mph.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast