Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Frame Builder considering move to Oz!!

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    quote:Originally posted by Hagarr

I appreciate It's difficult when you are unsure and don't know and its a huge upheavel to you and your family but seriously Billy has plenty of rooms to board you up until you get a job! HAHA

and the WASF boys will ensure you empty your bank account for alcmohol , hic.

I know its a long way from where your roots are , but seriously you will never look back, as Nike says,

[u]</u>JUST DO IT!
    Thanks mate

Bloke with a smaller stick
    Dont know if its still going but look up the STNI scheme (state territory nominated individual) It might mean you have to start off in another state (the scheme basically means you go to what ever state needs your trade for 2 yrs) but after that you are free to go any where. If you apply and are successful you get a letter that tells the immigration authority to fast track your visa app
    Jesus died for his own sins...NOT MINE !

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    quote:Originally posted by sharky

Dont know if its still going but look up the STNI scheme (state territory nominated individual) It might mean you have to start off in another state (the scheme basically means you go to what ever state needs your trade for 2 yrs) but after that you are free to go any where. If you apply and are successful you get a letter that tells the immigration authority to fast track your visa app
    Yes, been looking at that option! Turns out both of us are on that list of skills and I should be able to scrape the points as I'm younger than Gav
    Cheers for mentioning it

Bloke with a smaller stick
    When I looked at coming here I didnt have enough points as an individual, with the stni scheme points were irrelavant.
    Jesus died for his own sins...NOT MINE !

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    quote:Originally posted by sharky

When I looked at coming here I didnt have enough points as an individual, with the stni scheme points were irrelavant.
    That one isn't running now from what I can see.. it's a Skilled Regional Sponsored Visa with a points test - but you get points for going to that region. Things change all the time though so you never know - what with the predicted skills shortage in WA!

Weekend Warrior
    Looks like Gladstone is about to kick off.
    http://www.couriermail.com.au/ipad/o...-1226103773555

New to Streetfighters
    I moved from the UK (I lived mostly in Yorkshire & Edinburgh) to Aus (Melbourne) 4 years ago.

You either live somewhere with a warm winter but a summer that gets unplesantly hot, or a bearable summer but a cold winter. You'll enjoy south QLD, though I have been in Bris in summer and the heat can get debilitating.

Melbourne has a short sharp winter, there are about 5 days of frost in winter, that's as bad as it gets. Summers are usually warm and dry, at least my first 3 here were like that, then the drought broke and last summer was wet. Still drier and warmer than a UK summer though.

The wierd thing you'd never thought you'd say is "its too hot and dry to ride a bike, I'll go there in the car as it has aircon". Riding the bike is fine, it sjust too hot for even the thinnest f bike gear. Or you could ride in singlet and thongs....

I'd avoid WA as its just too far from everything. Distances are far enough already in Aus. There's no more "drive for an hour or 2 on the motorway and you are at the rally/gig/festival/relative's house" So you just have to adjust your lifestyle accordingly.

Also, much of Aus is flat, so roads are straight, live somewhere with hills so you see corners.

Get a trailbike too, its a whole different style of riding, and great fun.

The weather and the economic standard of living (ie, fairly high wages) definitely make it worthwhile. You are a long way from family and friends though, and when you miss good mate's weddings, family deaths etc you feel the pain of distance then. You constantly live with your feet and your head in one country and your heart in another.

I came over as a single guy though, different for you as a family unit.

The high dollar does make certain things feel ridiculously expensive, beer is 6 quid a pint in certain Melbourne pubs. Books are 4 times what you'd pay at home, everything in a high street shop feels overpriced too. But some things are really cheap, like LPG (instead of petrol) is 33p a litre. Fresh food, especially fruit, seafood and meat is cheaper and better than you see at home too. Plus you are living in the climate of the mediterranean, so walking out your house into yet another day of sunshine is like being on a holiday.

When I go back to UK I always stock up on bike stuff. way cheaper.

Houses are overpriced too but there's nowt you can do about it, but given the current high AUD and low GBP this is not the ideal time to sell a home in the UK and bring GBP here. At least not until you are certain you'd want to do that.

The streets aren't paved with gold here, nothing comes for free, you have to work pretty hard in your first few years, but the country does reward it long term. Plus after 4 years you can get dual citizenship, best of everything then.

Aussie Streetfighter Hooligan
    Blog Entries
    quote:Originally posted by big chris

You either live somewhere with a warm winter but a summer that gets unplesantly hot, or a bearable summer but a cold winter. You'll enjoy south QLD, though I have been in Bris in summer and the heat can get debilitating.
    Different folk take to it differently.
    I love the heat, hate the cold.

Lived in the UK for 40 year's and always worked indoors.
    Just done 7 years in Brissy working outside. Building sites,
    earthworks, roads and sub-divisions. Never once have i felt
    its was too hot or humid. Brissy is still too cold in winter.
    F*ck going any further South that this !!

Weekend Warrior
    Have to agree with Tony. Lived in Brisbane for 36 years working mostly in construction and never found it too hot. On the bike I use a textile jacket with plenty of air vents and body armour in summer and put the thermal liner in for winter. Perfect weather for 9 months of the year in Brisbane then 3 months of cold. It can get down to 5*C in the morning but gets up to 20*C+ during the day.

Bloke with a smaller stick BillyWhizz888's Avatar
    quote:Originally posted by big chris
    I'd avoid WA as its just too far from everything. Distances are far enough already in Aus. There's no more "drive for an hour or 2 on the motorway and you are at the rally/gig/festival/relative's house" So you just have to adjust your lifestyle accordingly.
    I hope someone reminds you that WA supports the whole Aussie economy
    you just wait until we become a republic
    more jobs, more space and only a cheapo flight away to visit the hussle n bussle then leave it behind again [^]
    Fcuk Off Ya Twat

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345