Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: GSX 1260 project. Making it better, Fuck yeah

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace

GSX 1260 project. Making it better, Fuck yeah

Hello peeps. Hopefully this is the start of my project build that I feel obliged to share with all the reprobates that make this site such a joy to visit.
    I have my spiffing new work bench ( thanks Linden)

I have some of the nice bits I want to use

and finally, and probably most importantly, I now have my donor bike

Unfortunately, cause my girlfriend is moving in[?] I have no sodding space yet to start ripping the ol beast apart

As my full garage is holding me up I am on a sourcing expedition.

I've bought a new set of valves and valve guides and am looking for some skilled chap to recut my valve seats, remove old valve guides and install the new ones, repair various damaged threads( mainly cam cap holders) and then help me degree in my cams.
    T'other thing is one of my carb bodies is damaged and needs either replacing or a particularly good and delicate ally welder.
    Also I'm hopefully picking up some GSXR thou K8 forks at the weekend and will need some triple clamps manufacturing. Along with this, any advice on steering geometry, fork length, etc. would be very much appreciated.
    Advice on sexy rearsets, wiring gurus, etc, etc, etc, etc,etc,etc would be hugely appreciated.
    I know this is a big ask as I'm still a pizza boy delivery( and I'm a Pom!!) but I really want to get this project started and done properly.
    I want to keep it standardish looking with modern front end, cool exhaust and modern rear end.
    Not an extreme or even unique build, more of a sleeper, but one that will make me want to get up at five in the morning, leather up and go for a breakfast run every chance I get

Looking like the bollocks! Finally checked my email Simon, I'll give you a buzz tomorrow.

Bloke with a smaller stick BANDITROD's Avatar
    Well let's see some pics of the finished frame Simon

Glenn Eason drinks and smokes and lends his arse to other blokes

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    like the speed triple in the background too mate, bloody poms hey!!

I'll be watching this build closely, I love these old things.

Well hello again. I think it's fair to say that I've been more than a little bit of a slack arse with this build blog. But.....................................there has been progress

Spiffing forks sourced

and top bloke found to help with the build, chap by the name of Peter McWilliams and more about him later. I've been sourcing parts over the last few months but there is still a long way and lots of money to go Back in July, after stripping the bike down I took the rolling chassis down to Peter at Manta Enterprises in West Heidleberg for some measuring and assessment and costing. Once we'ed made an agreement he set to repairing and straightening the frame.

Looks like it had been down the road at some point but to be honest I'm not really suprised, after all it is thirty years old.

Anyway after all the straightening and stuff Peter welded some strenthening braces to the frame

Some Bandit 12 running gear was also sourced and some spangly new Gazi shocks purchased from T Rex racing, these were then fitted ( just like that !!! )

Hey welcome back mate that's looking good can't wait to see it finished

ASF Basic Full Member
    Hey stiffsimon, my GSX1100 is at a very similar stage apart from the bracing and also I went with Wilbers for my rear shocks.
    This build is new territory for me and I would be keen to reference some of my gear against yours if you are happy to help ?

First question is: What length are the shocks that you fitted ? (eye hole to eye hole- unloaded)
    How did you find Mantra and what did they charge for the frame brace and straighten ?

being in Tassie I dont want to make the trip over to use someone without having some reference. I know they do quite a few period 5 bikes out there currently racing.

Are you converting to race bike or road ?

Great thread

Cheers Rod. Progress has been made but I'm thinking it will be quite a while yet until it's done

Hi Mozza, good choice of bike what model/year is it. As for my shocks I'll give you eye to eye lengths on Sunday or some such when I get access to them. They're actually Gazi Hyper X shocks www.gazisuspension.com not Wilbers suspension. Wilbers were my first choice until I saw the price they make Ohlins look cheap and nasty! Anyway the Gazi shocks come with threaded extendable eyes to fine tune the length of the shocks to help fine tune steering characteristics. They look pretty cool as well.

As far as Peter at Manta enterprises are concerned I can't recommend him highly enough. Not only is he a precision engineer but he has a love of these old muscle bikes, has close links with Rex Wolfenden at T Rex racing and supports an XR69 replica GSX 1100 ridden by Cam Donald. Google Manta Enterprises in Heidleberg and check out his website and give him a call or send an email.
    The work that he's done on my bike and his attention to detail and insistence that what he creates is not only safe, improves on the standard parts and ensure that the look of the product matches the customers wishes and all at an affordable price and a nice bloke to boot is a rare thing in this day and age. You won't be disappointed if you get him to do work on your bike. PM me if you want to chat.

Si, please delete this if you think it's too much of a plug for Manta and not appropriate for this site.

Anyway back to the build.

The essence of this project was the motor that I'd brought over with me from the UK. Specs being awesome such as Hi lift cams, 1260 wiseco kit, Roger Upperton flowed and ported head, etc, etc. I thought I've got a hot engine lets build a chassis around it and have fun............................................... ...........................or so I thought!!!!
    Whilst my chassis was with Peter I thought I'd make a start on my motor and strip it down to check and refurb. Thank fuck I did.

It was all looking great until I up ended my barrels and found this nice little suprise waiting for me

So I went inside and cracked open (no pun intended) my bottle of Wild Turkey and, er, I can't remember much after that

Fuck that sucks mate

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stiffsimon View Post
    Si, please delete this if you think it's too much of a plug for Manta and not appropriate for this site.
    No problem mate, credit where credit is due I say and it's not a full advert or anything so all good.

As for that crack, what a fucker!

Cheers Si. as for the crack, well it sort of gives you direction dunnit To this end I was on a bit of a hunt to make my engine not only pant creamingly fun but also reliable, so I dug further to see if there was anything else in my HOT ENGINE that might need a bit of a refresh

Anyway to save myself repeating all the heart ache the end result was............................................... ......

Awesome porting job from Mr Upperton BUT

worn cam bearings on No. 2 and 4 cylinder
    Multiple stripped threads in the engine
    worn valve seats on most of the valves
    No 2 main bearing damaged and overheated

So after investigation and careful measurement my awesome hot engine was pretty much fucked Oh the joy of modifying 30 yr old bikes, ho hum.

Anyway Google ( now my other bezzy mate) drew me towards MTC Aaaah and fuckin Eeeeek . So I made a decision......drink a few red wines and go on to their website. After a few weeks I was a little more chuffed when I came home to this

Next one isn't for the faint hearted

So I got my wonderful box of goodies and immediately thought FUCK I need to build this engine properly, hmmm. Time for some more red wine

Aussie Streetfighter Hooligan
    Blog Entries
    Great thread.

As an 11ET owner too, i'll keep an eye on this.

Very interesting.
    Thank you.

ASF Premium Full Member fimpBIKES's Avatar
    faaaaaaaaaaaaarkin schweet
    Rev the fucker!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Now that is cool. Nice posting Stiffy.

Cheers Si. Anyway time to ponder the motor and what to do. So fubared cylinder head with awesome port job, worn valves, cracked cylinder ( with 1mm wall thickness of the liner would you believe!!!! ), damaged main bearing on my crank and multiple worn and damaged threads in my motor. So then, not the hot motor I thought it was although, importantly, it was the thing that inspired me to start this build.
    So new MTC forged pistons giving me 1260cc capacity and liners to suit, Cometic copper gaskets, APE H/D cylinder studs and nuts, APE manual cam chain tensioner, APE valve guides, new cam chain tensioner blades and new cam chain to come. Having got the bits to help make the engine rock how do I put it together?

Do I rebuild it myself (again) or get somebody to build it for me? Hmmm.

I know that there is a world of difference between building a motor and making it run and assembling a motor so that it runs as well as it possibly can with given specs, is reliable and oil tight and doesn't need rebuilding every 2 k or so.

Whilst pondering this I needed to get some work done on the engine components. First off my cases needed acid stripping so off to Wendy The Stripper in Dandenong and I have to say she stripped superbly and will use her again, ahem

Then upper crancases off to Billy at T Rex racing to bore out for oversize liners.

It's not all bad though. My donor bike has actually turned up trumps with a very solid and unmolested motor that looks hardly worn, RESULT.

So I ordered a complete set of Kibblewhite Black Diamond oversize valves Int. 1.5mm oversize and Ex. 1mm oversize.

Peter then sent my head down to a porting guru( whose name escapes me at the moment) for fitting of valve guides, a three angle valve job and flowing on his flow bench. I forgot to mention that although the engine is pretty much unmolested it has had quite a good porting job done to it. Odd.

Anyway he'll flow it and see weyher or not it needs some more porting work done.

In the mean time my crank is with Billy at T Rex getting loving care and attention and by luck he called me today telling me that it is finished. Pinned, balanced, indexed and welded. True to within 0.001" Job well done I reckon.

As my pistons are up to 4g's difference in weight then these too will be off to T Rex for balancing. Gearbox has been declared as fit for purpose also with negligble wear. So all good, albeit expensive, so far.

Mean while Peter is working on the chassis and most exciting for me custom gull wing billet triple clamps designed to retain original instrumentation and lights with risers to mount my beautiful Accossato superbike bars. The triples are a thing of genius and beauty These are the lumps of metal that will soon be my triples

ASF Basic Full Member
    Mate, keen as to follow your build, I'll be a fair bit behind you but this is where I currently sit.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo11.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	452

Good on yer Mozza and I see that you've got the proper 24l petrol tank. The only one for ET's as far as I'm concerned. You may be behind in the build at the moment but this engine work is costing lots and my build will take a deep breath soon and probs put on hold a little to gather more funds. Excellent choice of bike by the way

ASF Premium Full Member fimpBIKES's Avatar
    wow, this is turning out very well!!

interested in doing some similar engine work, would you have any costs you could share for parts and labours?

keep the updates coming, especially with those triples
    Rev the fucker!!!!!

Hi fimpbikes

I could give you an estimate in time and will PM you some costs soon as some stuff has still not been finalised. Triples pics to follow in the morning hopefully

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast