Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you do for a job?

Bloke with a smaller stick 03gixxerpilot's Avatar
    crazymofo what cnc's u operate
    Born again Juvenile delinquent

Weekend Warrior
    quote:Originally posted by EXBEN

I build custom.............anything really,using most materials.
    I'll have a go at pretty much anything but I know my limits so I won't waste your time if I know I can't build something.I build the occasional bike too.Oh & Im an Engineering Patternmaker by trade.
    Any good parts fabricators want some casual work?

would luv some.....then i wouldn't have to do gensets... but ya a bit far away

looks like your setup is similar to mine but I'm more to the engine side of things ..... gotta get this flowbench finished as I've got some work for it comin in....

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    quote:Originally posted by 03gixxerpilot

crazymofo what cnc's u operate
    vulcan everlase 3500

and an amada lcv-2000

both fully cnc laser profile cutters

i did use a turrent punch for a while but gave the machine the arse.

cheers.joe.

Bloke with a smaller stick 03gixxerpilot's Avatar
    I used mazak's when i used to work in a machine shop, but that was a looooooooooong time ago.
    Born again Juvenile delinquent

Weekend Warrior
    SGT Paratrooper, sniper supervisor 12 years...got out...Been working as Security Consultant(new age word)/ Body Guard/ blah blah, in Iraq, Kuwait, Syria, Beruit, Jordan, Dubai, Thailand... Idiots trying to kill us in Iraq etc, regularly sucks.... money is good... can be boring...wife hates it...but its good to be alive to play with bikes...

Im also a rigger/dogman as back up..

I have a shed, where I like to attempt to fab all parts I can.... I will give all a go.. and help anyone with anything... ( no hitman jokes please, it freaks my wife out, even more)

cheers

Pete

Weekend Warrior
    Oh yeah, when I run out of skill or tools I head to EXBEN....just down the road... Thanks mate

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    I have a bachelor in international hotel management and i just finished my first master in management change. Soon i will start a second one in HRM & HRD. The past years i have worked as a manager and assistant manager in hotel reservations and car rental companies... The last two years i was working as junior editor in special press magazines with tuned cars... At the moment, im enjoying my freedom...

Aussie Streetfighter Hooligan
    Blog Entries
    WAS..23 years in the Print Trade in the UK,
    SRA3 Offset Litho / Programatic Guillotines

NOW..20 months in Australia, retraining in Civil Construction / Bulk Earthworks / Plan Reading / Pipe laying / Surveying / Leading Hand / Roller driver / etc etc....

If you need a couple of 30 tonne Excavators and 50 Trucks to
    tidy up the garden........

After 23 years stood infront of machines in factorys,
    Its bloody nice to be outdoors, bit of sunshine,
    meet some people etc. Love it [8D]

I teach computers at pretty much all levels up to Certificate 4 and manage trainees in their workplaces. No... its not even as exciting as it sounds...

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder
    oooh i got the best job so far, I work for Council, manage Customer Service. it truly sucks...takes years to get anything done, and I mean years...so i'm probably no good to anyone unless you need to know why your service business is struggling.
    doing MBA as well ugh.

Weekend Warrior
    From uni, too many years working long hours for stupidly low money as a Maintenance/Project/Facility Manager in Manufacturing & Construction.

Seven years ago got retrenched and fell into Technical Sales after a year being paid hang out at the beech/cafe streets & ride a vespa scooter with advertising trailer.

Spent the last 5 years attending company funded junkets, lunching & drinking lattes/beer (err sorry that should be "selling really expensive equipment that puts black shit on white shit"). Pay for what I actually do is very happy. As an aside, how's this for what a wonderful place I work - in November the company bought both me and LSG a $850 Rossi replica AGV TiTech each as a thankyou for the 4 months I spent commuting Melb-Perth to help them out during the year.

As of Monday, I'm a "Indirect Channel Manager" - not sure what this really means yet but I think I now nag other people in country Tas, WA, NT & QLD into "selling really expensive equipment that puts black shit on white shit".

It's a tough life....

Well you lot appear pretty bloody busy.
    I am a "luthier" for want of a shorter, more accurate job description.
    I repair stringed musical instruments, usually guitars, but have repaired double basses, to violins, to bazukis. I also repair guitar amps, and general audio related equipment.
    When I'm not doing that, I play in a rythym and blues band as a guitarist, or tutor would-be guitarists at a local music school.
    When I'm not doing that lot, I'll repair your paint job, service your car,or rebuild a bike.
    I've had a lot of jobs over the years, but guitars and bikes seem to be the main themes.

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Im another IT guy. But please dont talk to me about computers...sick of em.
    Is there IT work in canberra Chalk? I havent found much, stuck in the same job for 3 years now...but no point moving now I guess cause ive decided Im retiring in 6 months time...Ive fken had it with working.

Blog Entries
    Ah. I didn't know it was a work history thing. In that case I was a gerneral shit kicker in many factories, but managed to pick up a few skills as an upholsterer (but that was many years ago and we have Brett for that now so don't ask). Then I got my arse into gear and got to college as a mature student (well aparently that's what you are when you're 21) and followed my first love, guitars. (Benzine reminded me). I then did a bit of session work at a local studio, became a sound engineer, which then moved onto music videos where I then became a cameraman and eventually assistant director on mainly shite low budget crap back in England (like shit with the "Gladiators", fuck that was bollox). Somewhere in between all of those contracts I helped a mate out in the parts department of his Kawasaki dealership. Then I came to Aus and had to start scratch. Won't bore you any more, ended up being a graphic designer. How's it happen?

Bloke with a smaller stick
    I work for a Bearing and Industrial supplies company in Melbourne.

we sell anything from an oring for your garden tap to mig/tig welders, power tools, hand tools and of corse bearings, seals, chains and sprockets.

have been doing that since i was 17 and know nothing else.

so before anyone buys over expensive genuine bearings and seals for there swingarm/wheels give send me an email and i will check it out for you.

How hard is it to run your own business ?? I am thinking of starting an After Hours IT to you door type of thing. Or maybe a large internet cafe, Depends what the near future holds. I know what I need to do Techy wise, but to Actually call your self a business where do I need to start.

Check with the local council / govt Boh, they often run assistance programs/ grants for people starting business'.

ok cool

Blog Entries
    I run my own business mate. It's all up to what you want to acheive I guess. You'll end up doing a lot more work though, but at least you get the satisfaction of knowing you're doing it for yourself. As Chalky says, look into a gov grant to start up, but you will have to make a projection of your first year to show it's viable. I didn't do this or do get a grant, I just went the hard way and built slowly but surely. Still just ticking over, but that's all I ever wanted.

IF I end up running a gaming/internet lounge i'll definatly look into that, 2 mins from me have just opened up some brand new shop spaces. Just looking into it though. But at the Techy work I can run from home.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast