Thread: ZXR is running rich - convert to pod filters?

Weekend Warrior

ZXR is running rich - convert to pod filters?

Firstly, my bike really is running rich as - I wiped the exhaust tip clean chrome this morning and this arv it was black again.

So yeah. Backfiring like a strong curry.

I was thinking instead of trying to fix it like I should (or find out how) I could whip down to supercheap and get four pod filters and fit them and remove my airbox (it's not RAM or pressurised in any way).

Pretty sure it's illegal though - BUT it would give me some relocation room should I get serious with my bobber ambitions.

Your thoughts?

Also - while I'm here - Anyone know of an alternate way to get coolant temp for a Vapor Trail Tech dash? the stock radiator hose insert doesn't fit any of my hoses. I tried splicing the coolant sensors into the existing radiator sensor wires but no success there either.

ASF Standard Full Member Redmohawk's Avatar
    If you want pods , go for it . (What this Illegal term thing you speak of?) But if the pods are just to fix a fueling issue fix the problem not cover it with the pods. If your bike is running really rich already the pods may not fix it anyhow, I have converted 3 bikes to pods now using a wide band oxy sensor to get the tune about right one the jetting etc was fine when swapped to pods. One bike needed to go from 105 jets to 120's another only went up slightly.

Pods are great I love em the sound look etc but they can cause inversion issues make tuning harder (sometimes) they change the tuning fequency of the intake wich can mess with your torque/power curves and if they get wet there can be issues riding in heavy rain etc.

Personally if you dont have the stuff to do it yourself or know someone, I'd take it to a good bike shop and have it tuned properly even if you want pods on it later easyer to start mods on a known well tuned bike.

Weekend Warrior
    Don't bother fitting pods on a ZX9R, just get it to a dyno and have the jetting set up correctly, the stock airbox works very well on these, make sure the float chamber vents have had the pipework modified to run without the ramair tubes at the front. The easiest way is to run two small lengths of hose from the vents between 1&2 and 3&4 carbs straight up through a 12mm hole into the airbox, and slash cut them at 45 degrees facing towards the front of the airbox. The have the carbs jetted as usual on a dyno. What mainjets have you got fitted in there now?

Weekend Warrior
    @ Redmo - I think that's the answer I needed to hear - that to use Pod filters I have to have it tuned anyway, so I think I'll just book it in to a shop. As you said - its easier to start mods on a known well tuned bike.

Also, lol at illegality.

@ Dyno - Sorry should have mentioned - it's a ZXR750 - not a 9R. I have non-pressurised rams ie *faux-ram* air.

I'll just book it in for a tune. Ordered another rad sensor for the Vapor dash also (they're a pricey little bugger), so that's all sorted too.

Cheers again guys.

RevHead
    i fitted pods to my 1100 and it ran lean as fuck,,so youl need to buy stage 3 dyno jet kits,,,good luck,,,and the cops in nsw suck dogs cocks bc they want me to fit a standard airbox,,bullshit not happining

Weekend Warrior
    Pete, I've got a feeling my jets are already larger than stock - they're off a US ZX7RR as my stock ZXR750 carbs were somewhat perished I replaced them and since it's always run a little rich.

So although the tune may be the root of the problem here's something strange - I filled up today on 91 - not 98 - fuel for a change and the bike ran amazingly well. I did notice the strangest thing though when I opened the fuel lid - a white chalky substance/residue coated the inside of my fuel lid? What the hell? Have any of you guys run into this?

I'm thinking I should run a fuel cleaner of some sort through.

RevHead
    my 1100 used to eat plugs every 70 ks,, Boris told me to run ethanol,and iridium plug,not 95,or98 ,,and i gotta say,ive had the same plugs in now for 8,000ks,the white crusty stuff is dry fuel residue

Weekend Warrior
    oh true so I should run ethanol fuel then? I'll try that combo next chance I get to buy some plugs. That's good advice, thanks Pete.

Weekend Warrior
    my zxr used to run pretty rich aswell. the standard main jetting is really big to compensate for the airbox pressurising at high speed. the best setup i had was advance ignition, raised needles, and K&N filter and NGK CR8EK plugs. i agree with the fuel thing. it used to run great on standard fuel but i ran the 95octane with the igntion advance just to be safe.

Weekend Warrior
    oh and i used to get that chalky shit too. it can make it hard to open the fuel cap as it gets into the lock. i just sprayed some WD40 over it. dunno what causes it though. once i got the vortex aluminium cap i never got it again.