Thread: 'kin paint

Aussie Streetfighter Hooligan

'kin paint

right all u painters out there im on a tight budget and im painting my tank
    the tank is grp ive prepped it and stupidly put acrylic primer filler on straght away it reacted ...rubbed the bad bits down and gave it a once over with the sander...this time i put some etch primer on it better but still reacting in small areas is ther something i can get to stabilise it or is there another reason for this unique to fibreglass? ta

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder
    Oh fuck ........its what we call 'fry up'. the paint has fried because it dosn't mix. Fibreglass has nothing to do with it. If u have busted through the primer when wet rubbing even the slightest the paint will fry. U need to re prime and re-rub that area, by any chance was it on the edge or corner?????

Weekend Warrior
    blooby bus drivers givin paintin advice

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    i find if that happens just rub it back give it a once over with wax and grease remover and re-prime. sometimes it takes more than once but eventually it will get there. ask ZX12argh he is the sanding expert!

Kroosn

yeah kam it was where the top colour and botom colour meet [red and white ] and where id broken thru like u said ta mate thot id have to rub the whole lot down to the gel coat

and thanks kroosn ,,ill try that ta
    oi dazz i wanna measure the top yolk of ur bike cos i think itll fit mine are ur forks 41 mm ?
    btw [stupid q no 334]can u sell me bike for $26000 cos thats what it s cost over the last 20 odd years ....

Weekend Warrior
    the wrinkle reactions are a fookn pain in the arse. If it is only in small areas then you can flatten back the wrinkles and re prime. But use LIGHT coats and allow the solvent to flash off. A few light coats and some good drying time should sort out the problem. If the problem persists then you have the option to either sand back to oe primer or bare metal(gel coat in your case). Another kind of cure is to use an isolator/blocker. I have used uni-block from autopaint international and Barcoat from u-pol(i think). The following is from the autopaint web site.

Wrinkling (Rivelling, Pucking)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Description:-

The paint film has a wrinkled, wave-like appearance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Causes:-

1) Difference in drying rate between quick drying surface layer and slow drying lower layer.

2) Excessively heavy coats.

3) Incorrect thinner used.

4) Heat applies to synthetic systems.

5) Application of paint over incompatible or partially dry material.

Prevention:-

1) Ensure spraying and drying conditions are as recommended.

2) Avoid excessively heavy applications.

3) Only use recommended thinners.

4) Take care when force drying synthetic systems

5) Ensure that finishes are compatible with previous coats. If in any doubt the existing material should be removed.

Rectification:-

1) Mild cases can be flatted, allowed to 'breathe' and then re-coated.

2) Severe cases should be removed and recoated.

ta camm the paint im using comes in a can >>>>

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder
    quote:Originally posted by frankenbiker

yeah kam it was where the top colour and botom colour meet [red and white ] and where id broken thru like u said ta mate thot id have to rub the whole lot down to the gel coat
    No probs mate, hope it all worked out.......

Hey Dazz, its gonna come in handy either way....cause if their gonna give me a half million dollar coach to drive around Europe, i can guarentee u it ain't coming back in pristine condition....!!!!!!!! N# 1 driving rule: Don't give way to cabbies, i'm sorry but if they get in my way, i ain't stopping!!!! looks like i might have to pack the spraygun....ahh fuck, how am i gonna explain that to customs??????