Thread: Digital Speedo

Pizza delivery boy/girl

Digital Speedo

Hey guys, sorry for posting all these threads, but I am really new to this and you guys know HHHEEEEEAAAAAPPPPPSSSS... Anyway, I've just ordered my bars, headlight and brackets, just wondering what do I need to know before buying a digital speedo and how do they wire up to an old bikes ( 94 YZF600R ) analogue setup, I imagine it can be done, but is it harder or more involved than a newer bike, should I attempt it or leave it for an auto electrician?

Thanks guys!!

Blog Entries
    Have you checked out these Josh??

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/for...TOPIC_ID=17756

Personally I think older bikes are easier, at least ones I've had crack at have been, 96 B12, 97 Blade, 00 R1.. reasonably low tech, get good wiring diagram, cut and solder to new gauge using there wiring diagram, I haven't gone wrong yet.. If you feel confident go for it.. maybe get other ASF Tassieites to give you a hand.

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Yeah, checked those out thanks Gitzy, almost got the same Acewell one u did for the R1, but thought I better ask on here before I bought if I can hook it up to a bike with all analogue tachs. Sounds like I can so I might buy it tomorrow What sort of instructions do they come with?? Detailed ones for older and newer bikes or pretty basic??

Blog Entries
    My Acewell came with a great wiring diagram, colours and what said colour did.. I just found the corresponding wire on the bike with its diagram and joined it to new wire on gauge and voila she worked.. I don't think any of them are bike specific, so I just picked one with the lights i wanted and knew my bike already had, ie oil light, neutral, fuel etc.. For Bandit didn't choose one with coolant temp as the bike was oil cooled.. know what I mean.

Weekend Warrior
    Most can be sorted eaily either by a direct feed to the tacho from the stock feed wire, or take a signal from the - side of the coil, depending on how many pulses per rev the tacho needs you may need a feed from each coil using a tch adapter which is just a pair of wires joined together at one end with a par of diodes inline to stop any back feeding between coils. Some like the Trailtech Vapor unit can simply have the signal wire wrapped a number of times around one of the HT cables as an inductive pick up. It all depends on which unit you choose to use. Generally the more expensive units are more accurate and will sweep better and more accurately as the rpm rises. The Koso stuff is good, as is the Acewell, if you've got plenty of money then look at Stack or Translogic.

Hey guys need some help on this - wanting to put my 2005 Z750 speedo onto my RGV if possible. Going onto a 2stroke will it cause issues with the tacho reading? Any help/advice greatly appreciated