Weekend Warrior
    Fuck me!!!! Im gone for one day

cheers

pete in bum fuck idaho!!

Bloke with a smaller stick
    You're fucking bums where now Pete?
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Bloke with a smaller stick
    Actually Pete while I think of it, you talked to me at an AFR about CS foam, you don't happen to know who manufactures that do you?
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

ASF Depleted Uranium Member Large's Avatar
    quote:Originally posted by NakedTurboBusa

Fuck me!!!! Im gone for one day

cheers

pete in bum fuck idaho!!
    Four beers a day and internet access?

Fooking looxury!

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    quote:JackTar Posted - 20 Oct 2010 : 21:58:32
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You're fucking bums where now Pete?
    Here's a hint..

Blog Entries
    Back in that game again?

...and that's not an aerial of Idaho either.

I believe he said Bum fuck idaho.... that a different place altogether.
    OK here's a better idea.

ASF Premium Full Member El_Hefty's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    shootin abbos?

or digging dirt?
    I can handle pain until it hurts.

Erecting steel actually...

More like Nevada than Idaho... going to be a hot summer Pete

quote:Hillsy Posted - 11 Oct 2010 : 22:17:57
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey Ben - just spotted this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2000-ZX9-moto...#ht_500wt_1156
    Thanks Hillsy I ended up winning that motor for $662. Twas pretty dirty when I picked it up & had no oil filter on so there was dirt in the main oil galley, although I gave it a degrease & a blow with compressed air & it looks pretty good. I'm going to split the cases to be sure I got all the dirt out anyway but when I looked inside the motor everything looks brand new so is really is only 3000ks old.
    I'm pretty chuffed...

Bloke with a smaller stick BANDITROD's Avatar
    i was watching that aswell ben but i thought you needed it more than i did so i didnt bother bidding

Glenn Eason drinks and smokes and lends his arse to other blokes

quote:Originally posted by EXBEN

quote:Hillsy Posted - 11 Oct 2010 : 22:17:57
    Hey Ben - just spotted this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2000-ZX9-moto...#ht_500wt_1156
    Thanks Hillsy I ended up winning that motor for $662. Twas pretty dirty when I picked it up & had no oil filter on so there was dirt in the main oil galley, although I gave it a degrease & a blow with compressed air & it looks pretty good. I'm going to split the cases to be sure I got all the dirt out anyway but when I looked inside the motor everything looks brand new so is really is only 3000ks old.
    I'm pretty chuffed...
    Sweet - that's pretty damn cheap for a 2000 motor

New to Streetfighters
    Hey all,

Very interesting thread... I saw the clip of Judge blowing up back when it happened, but I never knew why - I just thought it was one of those "modified engine" type problems...

Anyway I was pointed here after I bought a Scotts Filter for my Gixxer, seems to be alot of people bagging the Scotts Filters. And it sucks about what happened with the failure, but I've just gotta think... do you reckon it would have been different if you had used the filter as per the instructions? (IE - clean the filter every oil change.) I've got to ask - and I know that you know your stuff so I'm interested to hear what you think.

Kind of a bit paranoid about my bike now, even though it's a stock engine & I change the oil fairly regularly, every 3,000km (commuting + track days) or 2-3 track days (whichever is sooner). A very bad thought that your oil filter could bugger up at any time.

quote:do you reckon it would have been different if you had used the filter as per the instructions? (IE - clean the filter every oil change.) I've got to ask - and I know that you know your stuff so I'm interested to hear what you think.
    It was cleaned every oil change.

New to Streetfighters
    quote:Originally posted by EXBEN

I did an oil change the night before the & found a little bit of shit in the filter when I opened it up. Said the famous last words "She'll be right",as I was planing to pull the motor down after the dyno day anyway, to replace a worn output shaft.
    Unless I'm reading that wrong...?
    I don't know how the filter works, but I'm just thinking if you saw some crud that it caught who's to say how much more was inside that you couldn't see? Unless you sort of had a feeling for what was 'normal' from previous oil change and cleaning?

You pull the filter apart to clean it, It's held together by a coil circlip type thing. The oil travels through the filter from the outside to the center so you have to pull them apart to inspect.

Weekend Warrior
    One of the biggest causes of bigend failure is from debris from the main bearings being washed into the bigends.As a matter of course I have the cranks and rods balanced on every motor I build whether it be N/A or or forced. I weight match each of the piston assemblies to as close as I can using a selection of different gudgeon pins to match everything. Usually I'm happy if I get them within 0.3g of each other, which is slightly closer than the tolerance my crank people specify.
    By doing this the main bearings get a much easier ride, and they are less likely to be damaged by the crank buzzing the mains, and washing debris into the bigends. A by product is a smoother spin up, and an increase in rev limit. I've just spun an FZR Genesis hybrid motor that I've built up to 12500rpm with no issues.
    Whenever I run bikes on my dyno I never pull the clutch and shut them down, I'll let them run down slowly and sometimes increase the revs a little whilst they're running down and the roller is being braked.
    Out of interest what bore size were you running in the blown motor? I'm currently building a hybrid 06' Z1000 motor using a combination of Zed and ZX9R parts, although this will be N/A running Mikuni TMR carbs rather than injection with a Dyna2000 ignition system for a ZX9R. I am using the plated ally block at present with stock bore and custom JE high comp drop ins at 12.5 to 1. I've looked at various options for big bores, but because of the position of the block and proximity of the bores it appears to be limited to a maximum of using 79mm pistons.
    Bad luck with the blow up, the fire looked a little worrying, I have a fire extinguisher either side of me within easy reach in my dyno truck for just such occurences, thankfully the only fire I've had was a Gilera DNA with a fuel leak which flashed up when I sat on it and hit the starter button. Pass me some new under crackers please!!! Good luck with the new motor.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345