Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Z1000 - Custom exhaust and some other bits

Weekend Warrior
    Hi all, Haven't posted much lately, but have still been lurking around here enjoying watching some of the awesome builds in here. I've been busy riding mine most of the time, but i've added just a few subtle things as I find the bike almost perfect and i like to keep it clean and simple.

The most significant mod i've done is had the underslung muffler 'box' removed and replaced with pipework. The one thing i always wanted removed as it took away from the lines of the bike, and it always looked like an afterthought for some extra noise reduction. As you can see the difference between these new pics and the previous pics, it looks alot better! and sounds REALLY good with the exits on the mufflers opened up.

Just a few other mods done include the
    all-black billet levers,
    CRG Blindsight bar-end mirrors,
    Standard mufflers opened up and painted flat black,
    horn relocated to inside left radiator shroud(used to hang below radiator).
    Now i just need some new tyres, going to try some Bridgestone BT-023's out.
    cheers

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    nice work dru, pipes look good.

if your interested ive just completed and test fitted a radiator guard to suit your bike if your interested. $165.00 inc post if your not a ASF member or $145.00 INCL post if you are.

cheers.joe.

Weekend Warrior
    Cheers mate, I'd love to buy a radiator guard from you, but i've already got one. I ordered an Evotech one and it arrived in the mail before the dealer got my bike in. Otherwise i'd be keen as, it's one thing i wouldn't go without, we've had about 5 bikes over the last 3 years get stones through the radiator and cause a leak. My mate with a FZ1N got a hole in his rad just last weekend!

Good luck with selling them, Do you make one for a Yamaha FZ1N? not sure what year, i think 2008? if you do can you post up a pic and i'll see if my mate is interested!

cheers

Blog Entries
    Obscene Plug , any chance you've done mine Joe?? I've got something special planned for the front of the TL , and your guards will top it off..

http://shop.ebay.com.au/salter.engineering/m.html

Drew, I really like the new Z1000 and was looking at buying one. My little R6 just isnt enough bike for me any more.
    You've just got me think and drooling alot more about them. Maybe a test ride of one while im on leave is on the cards.
    Monster GSXR 7/11 RIP!
    Raven R1 Demon.
    K7 750 German Style (under construction)

Weekend Warrior
    quote:Originally posted by crazymofo

nice work dru, pipes look good.

if your interested ive just completed and test fitted a radiator guard to suit your bike if your interested. $165.00 inc post if your not a ASF member or $145.00 INCL post if you are.

cheers.joe.
    Hey Joe, you got anything for a Street Triple R?

Weekend Warrior
    quote:Originally posted by LKC73

Drew, I really like the new Z1000 and was looking at buying one. My little R6 just isnt enough bike for me any more.
    You've just got me think and drooling alot more about them. Maybe a test ride of one while im on leave is on the cards.
    Nice! I wouldn't suggest test riding one unless you can definately afford to get it, cos chances are you'll want one indefinately!! As much as i love supersport bikes, This thing is just too easy to ride! great ergo's, great bottom end torque- don't have to keep the revs up. Only downside is no wind protection, but hey this is a streetfighter site! You won't regret buying one mate!

New to Streetfighters
    Looks tough as mate

New to Streetfighters
    Hi Drew

did you take the bike in to a muffler guy to get the Muffler box removed and pipes made up?. and was there any difference with the bike after being removed such as any lights coming up on dash or back firing etc.

Cheers

New to Streetfighters
    Hi Dru

could u please explain exactly how yo cut them out and would this be exactly the same on a 2011 Z1000 exhaust silly question but didn't want to start cutting and there is nothing there!!1

Weekend Warrior
    Hey, sorry for the late reply, i haven't been on here for a while. Firstly, yes the 2011 exhaust system is exactly the same as the 2010. Also, yes i took it to a custom motorcycle exhaust guy for the modifications. Initially he was relluctant to remove the box as i had the Vance&Hines Urban Brawler slip-ons on the bike, and they have no baffling and are designed to work with the ugly pre-muffler box. But i explained to him that i hated the look of the box that much, that i would happily replace the slip-ons with the standard mufflers just to accomplish the look i wanted. He then cut out the box, and fabricated the pipework to join the large diameter 'collector' to the dual mufflers. he said there is 2 pieces of catalytic converter honeycomb, 1 in the neck of the box, and one further up towards the engine. I got him to leave the one further up, and the other came out with the box.
    If it helps i can take a pic of the box, so you can see how he cut it out.

Basically i wanted the box gone for looks, and it has also made the stock mufflers sound louder and deeper, without making the bike run lean. I wanted the option to change to fibreglass-filled slip-ons later, so this modification allows for this.

Another option some people have done is buy the Akrapovic or Arrow headers which aparently mate-up with the stock mufflers. This deletes the box, and also gives the option for aftermarket slip-ons down the track.

Hope that answers your questions.
    cheers

New to Streetfighters
    Dru

Could you please tell me how hard was it to cut the exhaust tips out and are you able to give some pointers???? Please

New to Streetfighters
    Dru please disregard the last post didnt know there was a second page lol

if i could get some pics that would be great and pics of the exhaust cut out. did the muffler guy have a special tool to cut the back bits on the exhaust out????
    your help is appreciated..

Ps thanks for the reply.

Weekend Warrior
    Yeah i can take some pics next time i'm out in the shed. If you're going to remove the muffler underneath, i'd suggest doing that before cutting the muffler exits open, as i thought it was droney and a bit raw so i had the muffler exits welded up again. I prefer the sound now, it's louder and deeper than stock, plus i have the exhaust cables removed so both mufflers are open all the time. It's personal preference but i'd suggest removing the box muffler first before modding the end silencers, incase you want to change back like i did.

I'll take some pics for you.
    cheers.

Bloke with a smaller stick Weaselman's Avatar
    FUCK SAKE! Ive been trolling all over the net looking up removal of the muffler box and the best thread with pics ever was on my own site!!

Why do i bother with the internet.

Also...
    "Initially he was relluctant to remove the box as i had the Vance&Hines Urban Brawler slip-ons on the bike, and they have no baffling and are designed to work with the ugly pre-muffler box."

Was his concern a noise thing or was he worried that it would create a lean condition? I've got straight through Yoshi carbon cans on my 2012 but want to remove the box too.
    If you leave the front cat in and not use a high flow filter like a K&N you should avoid leaning it out and still have backpressure due to the front honeycomb cat.
    Last edited by Weaselman; 11-07-2012 at 05:09 PM.

Weekend Warrior
    Wow, so 7 years later, still riding the same z1000! Unfortunately don't ride as often as I used to now I've got a couple of tin lids, and 4wding, camping and "practical" transport have slowly taken over. But I fought the urge to sell the zed, kept telling myself it was only costing me rego to keep it, and it's always there when the rare opportunity to throw a leg over would arise. But after a few years of rare occasional riding, I found when I got the chance there would be an issue like bald tyres, flat batteries, or more recently, a dead ABS Module .

This finally pushed me to the point of seriously considering selling it to someone who had the time to use it. But first it needed fixing, and it's now a 9yr old bike, was it worth selling? In the process of giving the old zed some long overdue TLC, I've found myself wanting to make some cosmetic changes, and now I'm looking for any excuse to ride it.

This is how it has looked for a few years now, stubby Yoshis on the custom exhaust, and removed the big fork covers in favour of a carbon zx6r front guard.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0273.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	8451
    Last edited by drewboy; 05-04-2019 at 07:29 PM.

Weekend Warrior
    So the main issue with the zed was the faulty ABS unit, which is supposed to operate as conventional non-ABS when there is a problem or failure, but mine decided to jam closed on the rear, giving a rock hard pedal, but no engagement at the caliper. Only fix is complete replacement of the ABS Module at $1200+, which wasn't a realistic option for me. So a full bypass was the order of the day, with some fresh HEL lines direct from Master to calipers front and rear, and removal of all the extra brake lines, I was back on the road with much more responsive brakes and heaps more feel at the lever.

After stripping the bike to perform such an operation, I decided to only put back the bare necessities and see how it looked. I liked how it looked and could see the potential, so after a few weeks I ordered the LSL Urban headlight kit (which I've always loved the look of) and started tidying up some wiring and sorting a coolant reservoir. Unfortunately the radiator shrouds aren't just for looks, much like the fairings of a super sport, they hide wiring harness and plugs, and an unsightly coolant reservoir. The wiring could be tucked inside the frame with some tweaking, and I ended up drilling and painting a LiquiMoly diesel additive bottle and moving it to the opposite side for a coolant res. It's just zip tied for now until I make a proper bracket.

After that there was some rim painting and polishing (removal of the factory clear on the rims because of crazing) some trimming of the hugger and pillion pegs, and a coat of black plastidip on the tail to cover the silver.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0135.jpg 
Size:	103.1 KB 
ID:	8452
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0119_20190405195307190.jpg 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	8453

Blog Entries
    Man that looks great! Bet you're even more glad you didn't sell it now.

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    looks the goods mate.

Weekend Warrior
    Cheers guys!
    Yeah Si, I was struggling with the thought of selling it, but after spending the time on it, I'm looking for any excuse to throw a leg over it again. Best of all it looks unique, modern Zeds are everywhere these days. I played around a bit to get the right height for the headlight, I like how it flows well with the tank. I wasn't sure how the frame would look, but I like the lines and the intake holes are definitely different. I was planning on making a forward facing scoop cover for them, but the more I look at it, I'm digging the bare holes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast