Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Budget Turbo Dragqueen

Weekend Warrior
    Isle Of Harris, Scotland, United Kingdom.

Project Budget Turbo Dragqueen

Make yerself a cup of tea, its a long few posts for yer all to catch up. Copy n pasted these forum build diaries from few other uk forums. If yer bored at work have a read, if not scroll n look at pics n figure out what Ive been up to. Lol. Enjoy…….

My latest project I got few weeks ago. Wasnt planning another project, but it just kinda happened. Got garage full as is with my VW trike, Harris, n Ninja fighter, but hey ho. Was at the right price and just round corner from me.

Had been sat outside n well weathered. Everything either rust or brush painted hammerite. Nice. Been sat for a year as had an electrical problem. Him n his mates couldnt sort it so gave up and it just sat in corner of shed in bits and several boxes. Tank got damaged from kicking about on floor. Few dents n a big ass dent underneath n tap snapped off. Why do I buy these things? Well its a 2004 bike and it was only £400, round corner and still had T&T on it and a few nice bits like braided hoses, renthals, high level race pipe, brand new discs F/R, Chain n sprockets, n stack of spares like brake pads another chain, etc, etc.

Original plan was to break it, or just get it running n flog on for small profit as a tatty winter hack for someone. Got it running within an hour n phoned him and left a message on his machine of it revving away quite happily. He wasnt too chuffed, but hey ho Im good at electrics too.

Anyway one thing led to another and decided to keep it n build a drag style bike out of it like this:-

A style I havent done before. Always built streetfighters to handle n thought it would be something different. Completely pointless given I live on a remote scottish island with next to no straights, but miles n miles of twisty empty mountain roads with no traffic lights/junctions/cameras, etc. But hey got other bikes sitting there for the twisties, might as well build something different n silly. Show up local chavs imprezas n knee slider brigade up Stornoway who just ride round n round n round town centre all day............... when its sunny of course.

Right quick catch up via pics, cos cant be arsed typing every stage of it so far.

Stripped it down using a grinder as all bolts rusted solid! :-

Found some of the exhaust studs were welded onto collars as were snapped. Bodgetastic!:-

Sorted out loom properly as it was nothing but loose wires n selotape when got it as owner n mate had been attempting to `fix` it:-

Me mate Yantosh cut out damaged section on underneath of tank, built it back up n put on a new boss for the tap, which I got out of my mates junk pile:-

While it was there some mods for fuel return were done to allow fuel to be pumped back into tank above fuel level through one of original breather tubes underneath. Reason to be explained later in pics. lol. :-

Got this fresh GSXR750M motor (last of oil cooled models) offf a mate in exchange for a cut price lid paintjob for his girlfreind:-

Came with big 36/38mm slingshot carbs too, and matching CDI pack:-

Straight out of running healthy bike as he upgraded to 12 lump. 102 rwbhp stock n good 110-115 with some jetting n fiddling. Good strong lump n in good nick. So good in fact I sort of got carried away n bought this for £49 delivered:-

Bargain and in full working order with no play or owt. Correct airflow CFM and A?R ratio, etc to match engine characteristics. All turbo specs required off FastByMe who certainly knows his stuff. On standard motor at low boost to keep it reliable will give bout 150-160 rwbhp n vertical torque curve. Keeping it geared down to 150 flat out in 6th gear too, so will be damn quick acceleration. Yantosh is making my plenum and exhaust headers in exchange for paint too. Keeping costs down. lol.

Got a drag spec bandit 12 swingarm coming from Yantosh in exchange for some airbrushing on the SF mag project SV650. Underbraced and some one-off 6-8" extentions to keep front end down.......... hopefully. Might stick on some wheelie bars too. If yer gonna be silly, might as well be properly silly.

Continued……

Nother wee bitty after finished off comission lid today.

Cleaned up mastercylinder mounted onto bars with rest of refurbed bits n bobs.

Couldnt get clock dials off n didnt want to bugger clocks so carefully masked em n voila:-

Not clear coated other bits yet, but clear coating comission lid tomorrow so see whats left in gun each coat. Lol

Continued……

Genny back together:-

Starter motor:-

Carbs cleaned out n back together (just need good outside of body scrub):-

Engine all clearcoated n shiny again:-

Started stripping off casings for polishing:-

Dunno if polishing cam cover or spraying silver yet. Gonna be twat to polish. I`ll see. Casings got some serious scrapes n chips outta em. Gonna take flap disc on grinder n sander to em n see if can get rid of worst of em before polishing. Be a few days of looking like a black n white minstrel before updates folks. lol.

Where Im up to anyway (+ engine of course):-

Want casings back on engine before go for engine into frame task without chipping paint. lol. I`ll leave off sprocket casing/genny/starter till engine in frame to maximise my clearance issues getting it in. Gonna go for old engine on its side wrapped in cloths n tape n lower frame over with help of a glamorous assistant (me gorgeous missus). lol.

Continued…….

Got a photo today of last nights bitty.

Casings well scabby n scored/chipped up under paint or what was left of it:-

Took sander to worst of scrapes n got carried away n sanded off lettering and rounded all edges, etc. Got rid of 99% of marks tho. Couple of tiny marks that are too deep to sand out, but only tiny. Couple hours last night with wet n dry n bitta polish. Need a proper buff with drill but my polishing mops dead so will have to wait till get a new one to finish them off properly. Looks ok tho:-

Think smoothy look works quite well against complexity of airbrushing. Nother buff up with a new polishing mop n shuld look ok. ;D

Start sanding another cover back tonight. Not my favourite part of a build.

Continued……

I am still workin on this project dont worry. Took a step back from it recently as personal problems overwhelmed any inclination to work on it or generally do owt. :hrm

Back on with it again now tho. :upup

Clutch and other crank casing sanded smooth/polished and back on. Starter too! Looks fab. Not sticking altenator on till in frame tho to maximise clearance.

Oil filler plug was `slightly` tight! Dont know my own strength. lol.

In process of stripping cam cover just now. Not sure whether to attempt to polish it or paint it silver as would be a bastard to do and keep shiny under tank. :hrm All the fins, etc. I`ll fink of what options n make a choice.

Not far off engine in frame stage anyway. :wink: Under cam cover spotless like rest of engine.

Valve clearances fine, cam chain looks very new as do guides. Think I got lucky with this engine big time. :coolg

Once cam cover done engines on its way back into frame.

Coninued…….

Still coughing my guts up ere with the flu, but had a spell this afternoon of couple hours where felt able to be upright so got wee bitty done.

Frame n engine reunited n altenator back on:-

Me gorgeous missus Linz gave me a hand line em up, etc. Couple tiny scratches on frame in unseen areas, but nowt I cant touch up so alls good.

Just rear engine bolts in at mo as not cleaned others up yet, or ground down more of my stainless fastners for removeable frame section. Needing new flap discs for grinder, but up town wednseday so I`ll grab some then n get em made up n everything bolted in tight.

Chopped down my scrap workbench a foot or so to easier height now. Turned it round so got access to both sides for assembly as clean bits up. My wife also gave me a hand lift the frame/engine back up onto it again. Garage tip of the day:- `marry a yorkshire lass`. lol.

Cam covers not done yet, decided it would be a nice touch to grind/sand off all the fins and casting marks for a smooth look like rest of engine casings. Needless to say its a lotta work. Should look cool smooth n polished up tho like rest. Wasnt wanting to let the cover hold me back tho so went for engine in anyway. lol.

Grab some more flap discs mid week as said n get rest of frame fixings made/cleaned up n that bolted together properly. Get the cam cover done n back on, and then probably move on to front forks since have top yoke/bars, etc already done n sitting waiting.

Liking look so far tho, n mega cheapola. lol.

Continued……

Not got hell of a lot done. Works manic. Been working last couple weekends and evenings too to try catch up with comission work. Still not a bad complaint. Gotta grab the work when its there n not keep folk waiting.

Sanded back sprocket cover over last few eveings removing worst of scrapes. Got to last bit under normal clutch actuator housing n found a fucking crack. Flexed my moobs to see how bad it was and snapped the casing in half. DOH! Was going to fling it off nearest wall then realised I dont need most of cover anyway as on my motor the clutch actuator is on the clutch cover side.

Attacked what was left with grinder/sander, etc, and ended up with this. Does the job n dont look too bad I reckon. Saves cost of another cover too. lol.

Bit of grinding n fiddling with spacers got bandit leccy speedo sensor mounted to gixer 750 output shaft:-

Carbs remounted with some new hoses n bodies scrubbed up, etc:-

Took completed handlebars oota downstairs toilet wedged em on roughly in place to get em out of my way in house. Be getting bolted up soon anyway. Clock inserts look cool in situ. Nice cow horn bars. lol. Mooooooooo!

Still fighting with cam cover, but times against me till work dies down a bit. Still Im in no rush. It`ll be done when its done.

Continued……

Nother bitty today. Got cam cover done n on. Not perfect but best I can do with basic hand tools n graft. Any imperfections wont be seen once coil leads, hoses, bodywork, turbo pipework, etc, etc on. Dont look too bad tho n summit different for nowt outlay.

Ground down some more stainless bolts and got removeable frame section bolted up properly:-

Breather cover to clean up, couple frame touchups from getting engine in, and then onto front end next methinks.

Continued……

Not a lot to report progress wise as not had much free time with work n guff. Cheers for good comments so far tho folks. Keeping me chipping away at it. 8-)

Cleaning up wee random bits n bobs in spare time tho n sticking em on. Coils took about 2 hours to clean up!

Some eeejit had colour coded them to match rest of bike in 4" brush and red smoothrite. Duh! Scrubbed up ok eventually tho. Found Taylor leads beneath the smeg too which was cool.

Cleaning up odd`s n sods so post a proper update somepoint once got something substantial to show. lol. Works just too busy to get anything substantial done so picking away at wee odds n sods. Folk from states posting lids over to get sprayed n all sorts. Good tho. 8-)

On side note tho PandKG (Pinstriping and Kustom Graphics) magazine are wanting to run a bi-monthly feature on the build focussing on the artwork obviously. Good advertising for business tho as that mag has a feckin HUGE readership worldwide. Got in touch with em about running a small cheap advert n ended up doing editorial. Lol

Continued…..

Have been chipping away at this honest! ;D

Coils, tank rubbers, loadsa misc bits, etc cleaned up n on:-

Rearsets looking bit better than smoothrite n rust originals:-

Some matching flames/bio-mech airbrushing on wee bits like shifter arm:-

Sidestand:-

Shift rod:-

Footrest brackets:-

Polished up footrests n removed those horrible 1/2 ton lead weight things on bottom.

Tother side:-

Cleaned up n painted wee bits like frame brace, relay mount bracket, etc:-

Stripped seat release mechanism as rusted solid:-

Where Im up to:-

In middle of chopping undertray up with grinder n smoothing it off to sleeken up rear end. Hate those original snow-plough extensions, lol:-

Polishing up exhaust can n bracket at mo too:-

Decided to use some of old exhaust system. Dont really need can on it with turbo as cops/mot guys up here really layed back on loud pipes. Wanna run it tho as a race can so not too quiet, plus turbo will suck up lot of exhaust noise. At least I can go touring 2-up and down south n stuff without getting too much police hassle. Got a Db kliller insert with the bike so can stuff that in for longer trips to keep the plod happy. lol. Nice high level setup too, but can mount it anywhere really so options are open.

Box of bike bits I got with it looking sparce:-

New brake pads x3, 2x new chains, wheel spindles, n brake parts really. Couple indicators, tax disc holder. Not a lot left really to go on.

Got rear wheel and front forks/wheel under desk so they`ll be dragged out before long as running out of small bits. lol.

Brand new Suzuki discs on both wheel I noticed too. Bonus.

Got new bit of lexan through from Yantosh. Cheers bud. Really need to fix borken clutch cover window on Harris somepoint too so can give it a good clean n thrash.

Continued…..

Did these bits for a mate`s GSX 750 project to help pay for the gixer engine in the bike I got off him.

Transformed his old manky 80`s switchgear which had seen better days into this to match rest of his bike bits:-

N a catch tank:-

Switchgear on my bandit cleaned up pristine and as new, but looking at how the above manky old switchgear came out with bit of TLC is making me think I should strip my own switchgear back off n airbrush it.

Continued……..

Not a lot today, but nother wee bitty.

Chopped the rear undertray standard snowplough extension off n smoothed out as much bits of it as possible. Looks pretty good.

Got it mounted:-

Looks nice n smooth fitment now:-

Better side profile too. Much sleeker than crappy stock setup:-

Dug out wiring loom and gixer CDI box so I`ll get that all back on the loom and connected next few days n see from there really.

Gave up on cleaning up exhaust can/pipes as not sure 100% where its going on bike yet as options are well open. Might cut it down 6 inch too so gonna have to wait till more bodywork bit on, etc and see how its looking and turbo pipework routing, etc.

Nowt left in bits box except brakes n few random suspension bits. Under table is front end and back wheel so looks like theyre next in line so have something to bolt brakes to.

Continued……..

Ok now Im stuck! Thought it was all going far too easily. lol.

Didnt get much chance to look at it today as airbrushing till late on. Went out to do a quick 1/2 hour of getting loom layout sitting right round frame tubes, connect few bits n bobs, etc. Basically make a start on getting electrics done.

Thought it would be a straightforwards job as loom mint after sorted it. Knew I was gonna have a few slight problems because of gixer engine. i.e. no carb position sensor/carb heaters. Just taping them up tho as not needed on loom now. Few engine connector blocks different too, but again no biggy to figure out. Plain sailing I thought as pretty good with electrics.

Went to swap over CDI packs to the gixer one to match the engine Im using, and the sodding pins/connectors are different. Probably down to the TPS system which alters timing to match throttle position, etc.

Gixer CDI on left, Bandit CDI on Right:-

Gixer CDI pack standard sized pins so can stick some individual connectors on easy enough, but bit stuck as to what to connect to what.

Got bandit and gixer manuals here, but doesnt show pin/colour wire sequence. Can get wire to pin sequence off bandit loom, by following wires, but dont have a gixer loom to see which wire goes to which pin! HELP! Can anyone draw me out a pin diagram of gixer cdi/loom connector showing pins and wire colours so can figure it all out??

If have both sets of info I can probably sit down with both wiring diagrams and figure out the right pin sequence. Bit of an unexpected bugger tho.

Continued…….

Got it done tonight! Woohoo. lol.

Took a bit of figuring out getting the 12 odd wires onto 6 cdi pins. Couple of wire splices, and taped off few now obselte wires (2 for TPS and 2 for netural switch engine limiter, etc).

Used standard shielded spade connectors which were a nice tight fit on pins. Taped it all up too, just in case. Pretty well protected behind undertray and seat unit plastics, but better safe than sorry.

I`ll get rest of loom on in next couple of evenings. Need to chop about couple of connectors onto engine which are different. No biggy to figure them ones out tho compared to cdi wiring. lol. Tape up a few obsolete connectors as go along too like carb heaters/TPS, etc. Worth taking time with wiring tho to avoid hassles later on. Get it fed round frame, etc nice n neat and everything soldered up, etc.

Continued……

Weeeellllllll. Did a bit of wiring in between clear coating this afternoon. Got everything chopped about engine connection wise, and clock wiring worked out, etc, etc.

Looking fairly neat:-

Tucked front section of loom into headstock area to cut down on wires and connector blocks visable at front once get that together.

Took sidestand switch and neutral switch wires down under sprocket cover n up back of engine to neaten up whats on show. Some blue mini zip ties on starter wires, etc too.

Still need to solder/tape up a few wires, but got a problem!

Altenator wires! They dont match connector wise. No surprise as rest of engione connectors didnt match either. Chopped em off went connect up n wire colours are different. Checked manual and they dont even match wiring diagram colours, or give any explanation about what goes where in genny.

Heres gixer genny wires on left (one red, and one pinky/orange), and bandit wires on right (one black, and one black and brown).

Checked in manual and bandit wire colours are red and black/brown. Hmmm. Looked at bandit lump to get an idea n totally different genny. Black wire went onto bolt originally (yellow circle), and brown/black wire went onto one of the pins (red circle) with the other pin left blank.

Looking at wiring diagrams for both bikes, both genny outputs are live. One connects into wiring/fuse box, etc, and the other connects into lighting circuit. Presumably lighting one is at higher wattage that other.

Well stumped with this un. Cant think of way of figuring it out apart from leaving disconnected till up n running then measuring genny outputs to figure it out. Anyone know theyre gixer/bandit genny`s??

Continued……

After a fookin lovely day yesterday, today its pishin it doon up ere! River of water running down road. Grrrr. :-

Got Harris clutch cover back on tho after its slight bandit frame interface. lol. :-

Dragged both bikes out n stood in the rain giving them a damn good scrub up. After about 5 buckets of soapy water I finally found them underneath the grinding n wire brush bandit smeg. I know theyre technically kwaks but bandits my first Suzi n loving it. lol. :-

Can sit in the garage to my hearts content in the evenings fettling n polishing them back up.

Anyway not much bandit related to speak of as concentrating on getting other 2 bikes cleaned up n running (harris). Trike just needed a wipe over which was cool.

With bikes out of garage got space to drag out bandit front end n look it over:-

Looks like pile of crap same as rest of bits pre elbow grease. Deceptive tho. Brand new suzuki discs on front and back wheels. Only had bout 100 miles of use by previous owner before bike went off road:-

Took wheel off n stuck to one side with back wheel. Do them after forks, etc together as will be airbrushing centres/polishing them as a pair anyway.

So these are the next bits in line to clean up in evenings:-

Yoke manky but wire brush n paint can sort that. Forks well rusty up top end where they were hidden weathering behind those shitty original headlight brackets.:-

Removed n binned them as fooked n just plain ugly. I`ll `buy` (against the blood I know) some new light brackets for forks, or solid mount to 2 tags at bandit frame headstock when get to that stage.

Bottom halfs of fork stanchions mint tho n unpitted. I`m thinking along lines of shrouding top halfs of forks where bad in metal tubing between yokes to hide the rusty sections. Best option can think of really.

Sorry bout non interesting update, but hey ho every builds got boring bits. Lol

Continued……

Went out this afternoon n connected battery n battery charger to gimmie a bit of power, and................................nowt. Waaaaah. lol.

Cut open loom, quadruple checked cdi connections, checked clock/ign wiring. Couldn't find a problem. After about an hour of bridging wires straight to battery n sitting with voltmeter I swapped round starter relay connections n bingo!

Heard the swoosh of the clock dials n everything lit up ready to go-ish (well no oil/forks/wheels, etc, etc lol).

Shouted `Yeah Baby` very loudly and heard a couple of tourists walking by gasp n ask what was that. Oops. lol.

Everything working as far as can see anyway. Dash/clocks/starter/lights, etc. Just have to connect front/back lights and indicators/horn when get to that stage. Back to sanding n polishing/painting then. Lol

Continued…..

Sat with my wet n dry n autosol tonight n got one fork leg cleaned up:-

Not perfect, but pretty good. Had a shitload of scrapes n hammer/tarmac dings like engine casings, etc, but most of em sanded/polished out eventually:-

T`other one tomorrow night. I`ll slap some 2K black on lower yoke when get a chance too n can bolt em back up in next few days.

Continued…..

Bit slow with updates at mo. Made the stupid decision to not just paint bottom yoke, but dig out all the misc bits n bobs that were gonna need sprayed too n do em at same time while got paint gear out, etc.

Got sidetracked into brakes! Seemed like a good idea to strip em n paint em at same time as rest of wee bits n bobs.............

Could I fook get em apart! Lump hammer, centre punch, heat, WD40, vice grips, etc, etc. Those pad pins werent for budging! Ended up cutting pad retaining pins in half with grinder/hacksaw. Still couldnt get pads out as they were rusted solid to pins! To cut a long story short a couple of evenings were spent grinding n drilling pins out of caliper bodys. Weird thing was brake pistons were clean n free and bleed nipples undone no probs too.

Got em apart tho:-

Pistons cleaned up perfect beneath smeg. In middle of spraying em at mo, but got new pads with bike so they`ll be going in all round:-

Sprayed bottom yoke up.

Gonna airbrush it up along with brake calipers n assorted little brackets next few evenings. Might as well detail the we bits too. lol.

1/2 way through polishing up other fork leg too so will have all front end bits n bobs ready to bolt together in next few days. Opted to do back caliper now too tho to get it out of way.

Scored this intercooler of egay for £10 delivered.

Dont quite need it yet, but was going cheap n gonna be needed further down line. Good clean up n brackets, etc n should look fine.

Bout it for now really till get front end bits together. Did have a 2 minute play on paint tho to roughly test out few ideas. Rough n ready but no time to sit for days doing it properly:-

Yantosh`s long braced B12 swingarm. Helmet nose fairing at front with lights inside as mentioned previously. Scoops at side of bike cover:- on RHS the turbo side mounted on log manifold, and on LHS the intercooler mounted sideways n force fed airflow by scoop. Want smooth shrouded look overall and gives more bodywork for me to play with the airbrush on as got a `full on` mad idea for the bodywork. Muwahahahaha!!!! Little bellypan, n Hayabusa-esque swingarm spoiler scoop finishes things off. Sorta stealth bomber long n low menacing look Im after at end of it all. Subject to change along the way, but liking the rough concept at mo.

Continued…..

Sat this afternoon n put me front end bits back together.

Top yoke:-

Forks n stuff:-

Front calipers all cleaned up, painted, greased n new pads in, etc:-

Banjo bolts where rusty chrome so prepped n sprayed those too to cheers em up a bit.

Made new pad pins out of old imperial allen keys. Old trick Ive used for years on brakes. Hexagonal section doesnt seize in countersunk holes. Cut to length leaving a decent size bit sticking out to get hold of with vice grips, unlike originals! Notch with grinder/hacksaw for R-clip n bobs yer uncle. Free, not gonna seize in there, n good quality steel.

Sprayed up the wee steel clips n mudguard brackets, etc while at it:-

Some of yer might have noticed the black section on the fork photos above. Been looking about for offcuts of steel/plastic pipe to slip over pitted sections n cant find owt locally n not paying for it. lol.

Tried a bit of black gaffer tape on with join at rear edge n actually looks nice n tidy! Not gonna see much of it when nose fairing on anyway so might run with it to disguise pitted/rusty top sections. Nice textured gloss finish n hard wearing too.................. and free. lol.:-

Onto the back brake bits next as sprayed up caliper at same time as rest of bits, oh and the horn too as was rusty as hell. Not gonna be seen, but not having rust on the bike. lol.:-

Give everything a good clean up n slap in new pad pins and pads, etc like front.

Oh yeah n bolt front end back on too of course. Doh! Lol

Continued……

Nother wee bitty today.

Back caliper hanging on bungee as nowhere to put it yet. Getting well excited about my new swingarm tho. Few feet of alloy to polish n fondle. Muwuhahahahaha............

Put the piccy up tho to show I did actually airbrush the back of the caliper too cos will be visable through wheel from other side.

Back mastercylinder and reservoir cleaned up bolted back on:-

Needs a new brake light switch, but I`ll get one somepoint when ordering other odds n sods.

Mounted the freshly painted horn under the tank as a handy spot out of sight and a nice convenient mounting there from original suzuki breather air valve thingy that I dumped when changed engine. lol.

Front forks back on. Dropped em through the top yoke as far as could till hit the bars. Only bout an inch or so. Would have liked more, but back end will be slammed down so extra rake n stability in straight line aint a bad thing. Starting to look like more of a bike now:-

Was happy with the look. till me gorgeous missus came out for a look n thought my gaffer tape on the fork tops looked shite............. so under order to re-do it better. lol.

Theres an exhaust place up town (45 miles away!) that stocks length of pipe. Nowt`s easy up here for parts! Couple of quid should net me some wee bits of tube to airbrush up and slide over fork legs to neaten em up. I`ll get some next time up there for shopping. Unbolt top yoke n slide em on so no biggy and will look better ultimately. Like the black look tho of the fork tops n hides the crappy pitted sections.

Looks like Im onto wheels next as next to no wee bits left to clean up. Wheels are gonna take some graft to get looking nice tho. Rough as fook, but no worse than rest was n think its coming along nice. Well I like it anyway. lol.

Continued…..

Nowhere to get alloy tube bud up ere. Steel tube from exhaust place up town is closest thing n 45 miles each way. : :-/ Makes life interesting tryna build stuff up ere. ;D Tank shouldnt hit horn, but can bend about/remake the bracket if needs be easy enuf. Was just a handy spot out of the way.

Fork tubes were annoying me tho so went back out to shed n came accross couple of dried up part tubes of silicone sealant. Been sat in wee shed since moved in couple years back n god know how many years before that. lol.

Mixed with the old bandit headlight bracket rubbers:-

Chop rubbers in half, cut off ends of silicone tubes, clean out dried up silicone/plunger, etc, simmer for 1/2 hour and serve:-

Need about 4mm trimmed off n sanded/painted/airbrushed up.

Sturdy enuf for covers tho and only bout 2mm bigger than fork legs internally so nice snug fit and most importantly........................FREE! lol.

Linz has started to call me Orinocho. Could be worse I suppose. Could be Uncle Bulgaria! lol.

No sign of my intercooler yet cos of post strikes. Hey ho. £265 spent all in so far tho when it turns up.

Continued…..

Got my fork covers done n on today. Turned out quite well for a freebie. :P:-

As yer can see dropped forks through yokes nother couple of inches too. Want really slammed final look. Left enough fork leg below bottom yoke for fork action and thats about it. Should be fine on clearance as oil cooler not going in usual position anyway, but can slide about fork legs once have rolling chassis to work with.

As a result bars wont fit back into top yoke cast-in risers. Sat with grinder today and an offcut of scrap alloy in pic below cutting some adaptors out to remount the bars to the risers on top yoke.

Got em roughly hacked out with grinder n holes drilled, etc. I`ll get em tidied up with wet n dry,and bolt bars back on tomorrow, etc. I`ll get few pics up of course. lol. ;D

Dont expect amazing Yantosh levels of engineering as only got crappy drill/grinder combo. Should look ok tho.

Continued……

Sanded n polished up my adaptors last night. Not perfect, but best I can do with basic tools n scrap alloy. lol.

Went to bolt em on n couldnt find any decent looking bolts/washers for em. Cant even nip down local garage (8 miles away) to grab some stainless bolts/washers as its sunday and of course round here that means gods day off. lol. Washings hanging out n grinders chopping away in garage as normal tho. Muwahahaha.......

Loosely bolted in place with shitty fixings to get an idea how looks n sits, etc:-

Because of clamp angle on yoke the bars havent actually been raised any and have only moved back an inch or so. Fine for my T-Rex short arms anyway. lol.

Tank clearance looks ok. Up town tomorrow so will grab few stainless bolts/washers n bolt it all up properly n such. Bit neater than just now. Its all straight n strong tho. Dont think it looks too bad fixings aside.

Semi circle gaps left Im gonna feed wiring harnesses from switchgear through so can do away with zip ties on bars:-

While looking for bolts came accross these riser blocks in a random box. Bolt holes even line up. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr. lol.

They would have saved me good days work making em, but not tall enuf on own so would have had to jack up inch n half at least with spacers to clear forks n dont really want bars any higher. Big cow horn renthals are tall enough as is.

I`ll get some bolts, etc n see how my setup looks n decide which to go for.

Box searching also came accross this old air guage off an old compressor:-

Might do for a boost gauge. Screwed it into mirror boss to keep it out of harms way for now, but will probably end up mounting it on bracket in same place anyway. Got oil temp gauge on my Harris mounted same place and like it there.

Grab some stainless bolts up town tomorrow anyway. Seeing that mate about the gixer wheel too while up there. See what other bits he`s got lurking about too. Lol

Continued…..

Still not happy with riser setup, even with nice fixings. Just not neat enuf at 2nd look. Thinking of reverting back to normal n running ratchet lowering straps to lower front end few inches.

Know theyre not meant for street use, but not fussed about that up ere. lol. Can slacken em off for mot`s after all, or if rides like bag of shite giving me standard setup without any work or fuss. Loosen em for general riding n slam em for dragging n shows, etc. Would give me tidier top yoke, lowered suspension with less chance of bottoming out as will be lot firmer with the extra preload. Should allow me to run nice n low. Handling aint what this un`s about anyway. Got my Harris for the corners. Just want something to cruise on n leave black lines everywhere up town to wind the chavs up. lol.

Dont like comercial ones that loop over headstock. Cant be good that twisting about with steering. Gonna design my own setup that runs to bottom yoke so doesnt affect steering. I`ll give it some thought n see what I come up with. Shouldnt be too hard tho to fab.

Continued……..

Stuck the tank/seat on today to double check tank clearance n look of it all. Dunno, not happy with it. Looks a bit messy. Bars look waaay lower than thought too. :-/

Could have just bolted on these riser blocks I found other day on spacers to sort it out. Long bolts, few 1" spacers, etc n these would do the job.

Promised them to a mate tho. Doh! n double doh! :

Dunno giving it all thought as to straps, etc on front or raising bars up, etc, etc. Trial n error, but all good fun. Forks through top yoke looks alright with tank on as not sticking up in face. If bars where raised too then would look better n mask fork ends too.

Decisions, decisions........

Continued……..

Had another play about tonight. Stripped bars clean n tried a few things. Mounted em backwards and upside down. Think this is what gonna go for tbh. Clamped on loosly at mo as not got bolts long enuf yet. Few long bolts n spacer tube onto original yoke mounts n should look good n be solid. Im liking the look. Not any lower than clip-ons. Moves bars forward inch or so. Nice low look and makes fork legs look a lot better through yoke, etc.

Climbed up on table n sat on seat with my head between roofing beams. lol. Bars feel good height/reach n have same pullback, etc as normal cos just mirror image but upside down. Seem nice n comfy n not too much of a stretch. Wide, good comfy angle n just generally neat/low looking to the eye. Im liking it anyway.

Bit cafe racer-ish. Remind me of the feel of my old Z`s ace bars. Makes me feel old remembering them. lol.

Continued…..

Not done a shitload in last week or so cos of buggered up arm n work being radio rental!

Caught up again tho n arm better so game on!

Handlebars all done up nice n tight n everything back on again:-

Mates got some dragbars I can have if dont like final look/feel.

Spent few evenings sanding back wheel rims. Pitting was worse than engine casings. Good couple mm in some places. Took sodding ages to sand out by hand. Got 99% of it tho n polished up pretty good:-

Did a bit of top secret airbrushing for Yantosh n got a gixer cooler he had in exchange. Cheers bud! Good clean n 2k black n looks like new:-

Got my intercooler through post at last off egay. Not original one as little chav never sent it. Got my money back n got this one of a rs turbo tho for £5.99 delivered.

Cost £5.85 to send according to label. lol.

Nice size, inlet/outlet perfect bore match to turbo n good positioning of tubes too for bike. I`ll spray it black tomorrow afternoon along with front wheel centre ready for airbrushing up.

Hoping to get the wheel airbrushed/cleared n back in this weekend.

Discs cleaned up like new so decided not to paint em. Only bout 100-odd miles on them from new so mint underneath dirt/rust. Gotta give em a proper clean up, but quick degrease removed most of it:-

I`ll get wheel airbrushed up n in this weekend n post pics, etc

Continued………

Got wheel cleaned up n assembled today in living room while watching sunday telly with kids. lol. ;D

Wheel artwork, with flame licks coming off spokes onto rim to give impression of movement to wheel:-

Discs cleaned up with brillo pad to remove rust n general smeg :, n buttons painted blue:-

All bolted up:-

Think it looks pretty cool. Not 100% perfect cos wheel was a right state, but aint far off.

Was gonna bolt it back onto bike but a mate`s posting me up some bearings he has for it ;D so might as well replace em before sticking it back in.

Continued…..

Had to go up town today as Linz out of printer ink n orders to sort, etc. We decided to take car up n get bits of shopping, etc to make the 90-odd mile round trip worthwhile n stuff.

While had car up town with us (its a hearse so loadsa space, lol) popped in to see my mate Willie about that gixer 750 wheel.

Dragged it out only to find it was the same size rim as bandit one (4.5"). Waaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh. Bollocks I thought. Spied a wider rim in corner, but he said it was for a project, but in end let me have it for bandit in echange for drawing him a caricature of his gixer as featured in 100% n SF mags recently.

Result n keeps me budget down. lol. No cost to me other than good few hours drawing here n there in evenings to do piccy for him.

Was in a rush so scooped it up n flung it in the hearse. Had a proper look when got home n thought that does look feckin wide that. Its only a 6" gixer/busa rim! Wider than I could have even hoped for. Woohoo. ;D ;D ;D

Came with good as new renthal 44 tooth sprocket:-

Ideally suited to engine setup Im going for compared to bandit 47 tooth one. Not interchangable stud pattern anyway so gonna have to run 44 tooth one which as I say much better match for engine. Gonna knock speedo calibration out tho, but can always get a speedo healer black box to recalibrate things down the line.

Also got spindle n all spacers:-

Think Im short of one outer spacer between wheel n swingarm, but sure can sort that out. Everything else there tho, just need to sort bearings for it. One in cushdrive there n mint, but other 2 missing. Not the end of the day tho. Chuffed as fook to get such a monster wheel for the project. Cheers Willie! 8-)

Me days haul!:-

Continued……

Nipped out today in between things to chill out for 1/2 hour. Turned bike around on table other night which was a fair lift, but I managed.

Rear end felt pretty damn light so stuck a big trolley jack on back of frame to hold it down for now till get some back end bits in.

Got front wheel bolted in. Pitch black skies up ere n storms so took a mixture of daylight and flash switched on pics cos both looked wrong, so have to use yer imagination. lol.

Check out deck height of lower frame rails. Gonna be nice n low!

Liking look so far myself. Gonna be bloody wide once scoops on sides are on covering turbo/intercooler.

Linz up town today so grabbing some more paint stripper, so I`ll crack on n start cleaning up the busa back wheel. Bearings on way for it too.

Continued……

Finally got back wheel polished up. Thought it would be easy compared to weathered front wheel, but paint stripper revealed bout 20 coats of high build primer to hide the state of the severely pitted alloy underneath. Arrrrrrrrrrrgggh! :-/ > > >

Took me about 10 hours of sanding last few days or so in evenings to get rid of 99% of it same as front wheel.

Got it polished up tho n looks fab. Big bugger n looks nice polished. Was worth the hassle. 8-)

I`ll get it sprayed black n fling some airbrushing on next few days to match front hoop.

Continued………..

Nother wee bitty this afternoon.

With the busa rear wheel polished up I masked up centre n sprayed it 2K primer n black gloss ready for airbrusing up:-

While doing that decided to spray nother few random bits while everything set up, etc.

Got front lights apart with a grinder n drill as welded together with rust. lol. Poured the rust out of the shells so they dont rattle any more. Doh! lol.

Gave the shells a quick spray up:-

Also did the rear brake disc centre:-

Nowt fancy just clean n black n shiny. lol. All parts that are mostly gonna be shrouded, but want em neat anyway. lol.

Filed off all the buggered brackets on the egay rs turbo intercooler. Good degrease, etc n ends came up shiny black plastic so just masked off the alloy centre n gave that a tidy up. Also straightened up few dents n bends. lol :-

Had a quick slice with jigsaw at crash damaged helmet Im gonna use as nose fairing:-

Dont look too bad lined up to bike n know dominator lights fit in behind visor. Cant get better idea of shape, etc till have the headlights solid mounted on some one-off brackets on front, but thats on the list to do soon.

Continued….

Sod all to report today really as finishing off comission helmet to post tomorrow. lol. Its a xmas present for someone so been full bore at it. Started it Monday with a blank lid n ready to post (thursday afternoon). Up to post office early in morning for me. Should get there in time tho.

Stripped tape off intercooler while munching lunch n cleaned up plastic end caps. Looks pretty good for something that`ll be hidden. lol.

Sat this evening n cleaned up lights n got bits back together. Little clips drove me mad slightly more than usual. You`d need carnie hands to make that job easy. lol. Bulbs were blown, but had couple in shed which was handy.

Got in about lenses n reflectors with cotton buds n got the rust staining off from outside n inside edges as looked shit.

Not too bad n ready to bolt on when make brackets.

Continued………

Got wheel airbrushed up n clear coated today:-

I`ll get edges sliced clean with scalpel tomorrow once hardened a bit n get the tape off n rim re-polished, etc, etc.

Should look good tho with that fat polished alloy rim either side.

Need to scrub up disc/sprocket/carrier, etc too. Keep chipping away at it. Lol

Continued……..

Got all the back wheel bits cleaned up n assembled n guff. Looks well:-

Next stage will be to get it down off my wonky table onto the ground n get back end blocked up to ride height n play about with wheel to get an accurate measurement of swingarm spindle to rear wheel spindle for Yantosh to work with for the swingarm.

Prob start making brackets for headlights/nose fairing after that.

Continued…………

Had a go at the seat unit tonight. Thought it was gonna need recovered as was splattered all over with paint and fibreglass resin by looks of it. Spent about 2 hours or so with the wd40 and picking away at it with my fingernails n came up like new:-

Bit of a result n saves the expense of material, etc. Only a wee bit yeah, but theyre adding up slowly. Lol

Continued…..

Farting about in garage tonight tryna unwind as lotta crap on plate as per life.

Mounted headlights off frame tabs at headstock down to between dominator headlight units. Helmet cowl will bolt straight onto dominator light side mounts normally used for fork brackets. Nice n simple.

Should look alright all sprayed up to match bodywork including visor insert as per my usual helmet paintwork.

On full fork lock the legs tuck inside back edge of helmet. Might have to trim lower edge as gonna sit close to front muddy. Easy enuf to do tho. Need to tidy up edges anyway somepoint.

Might remake lower headlight bracket too as got bit of flex in it. Easy 20 minute job tho somepoint.

Continued………

Did another wee bitty this afternoon in between building snowmen with kids. lol.

Remade the lights bracket out of 6mm steel bar so no flex now. lol.

Moved it all up few inches, trimmed down rough edges with flap disc on grinder,

On full steering lock the clocks and bottom yoke tuck inside but dont hit anything.

Just needs couple of holes drilled for fixing bolts to hold helmet fairing onto light units n job done I reckon.

Continued……..

Took grinder to lid again n took off bout an inch off back edges n added more curves, etc to make it look a lot less bulky. Then managed to mount it over an inch back on headlights for a more flush look. Also angled up chin slightly. Much happier with look now.

Managed to mount it to headlights using countersunk bolts which are covered up when visors down for a nice smooth no fixing mounting.

Got some triangular motre indicators with bike. In good nick n working n nice clear lenses. Tried to find a place for em then noticed top vents on lid. Out with drill n file. Need a bit of tidying up prior to paint, but lenses sit almost flush n pretty neat once painted up I reckon. Wont stand out neither as helmet with have a bio-mech face airbrushed on it when do bodywork which will be prodominantly whites n greys so should blend in nice in end.

Reckon its better:-

Continued……..

Was priming n 2K blacking comission tank today n thought well it would be rude not to do same to those bandit bits Ive been filling n sanding for last few evenings. lol. :-

Helmet fairing, visor n vents for same, side panels, frame infil panels, front muddy (god that was a state! - LOADSA FILLER).

Couple days off for xmas n I`ll start sanding em back n airbrushing em up ere n there when get time. Look miles better in black tho.

Continued………

Got my mate Rob up at mo visiting. Went out this afternoon n reorganised garage, lifted down bandit onto ground, n blocked up rear end n rear wheel etc at ride height. Taped on bits of bodywork roughly so we could bath stand back n partake in copious beard scratching. lol.

First time to see it on the ground in one peice and be able to stand back from it few feet. Eres the pics:-

These are with wheelbase set at 1600mm. Got measurements for swingarm for Yantosh while at it. Swingarm pivot to rear wheel spindle distance 700-800mm slots bud. Pics are at smaller setting, but reckon looks spot on at this sorta length.

Should look good with fat 200 section tyre on there:-

Rob giving me dosh for old wheel n bits which cleared a bit of space too. Reckon its looking cool tho n worth the £160 so far. Not too low or long to be unrideable or impractical. Not gonna be a show bike after all. Gonna see a shitload of tarmac. lol.

Some dodgy hairy fecker ran in n sat on it making `broom broom` noises. lol.

Got this standard bandit oil cooler off Rob as part of deal too. Gonna run 2 coolers so quick clean n paint n should do nicely:-

Continued………

No time to do owt today as in middle of some full on bike artwork for a customer. Gonna try get nose fairing n few odds n sods airbrushed up this weekend tho.

My photoshop died so had to resort to paint to do a quick doodle. Enuf to see Im on track for look Im after tho which is cool:-

I`ll try get few bits painted up this weekend n stick up pics. Nose fairing n frame infil panels first as ready to mount.

Continued………

Been a busy bunny doing a few hours spraying this weekend when not in bed n could be arsed. lol.

Not clear coated yet which will really make it look nice n blend colours together more n give the black much more depth, etc, etc. Will look stack better than now basically.

These are before clear coat as not done that yet. lol. I`ll get it cleared n assembled n back on bike next few evenings or so n post pics. Quite happy with it tho. Based loosely on a slipknot mask n wanted to tie it in with bio-face frame side sections n plans for rest of bodywork.

Vi

Blog Entries
    Well that was alot to take in, good read..

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    Awesome read mate! Gr8 way to waste my morning at work lol

Weekend Warrior
    Wow... I don't know where to start!
    Fucking insane... Loving the build.
    Just spent the better part of an hour checking it out...
    Great job dude!!! [8D]

ASF Depleted Uranium Member Large's Avatar
    I've spent 40 minutes in this thread and I'm only half way through.

Will return witha a cuppa and biccies to finish

Blog Entries
    I like that me and Lance got paid to read it. hehehe..

Alice Springs, Northern Territory, Australia
    awesome paint job mate! more pics! i mean detailed pics coz its hard to see details in the mess (cell phone camera? )

Weekend Warrior
    Cheers for compliments guys. Mucho appreciated. Im not worthy!

Yeah big ass post to take in. Few months to catch up on tho for you guys n I do waffle on just a bit. lol.

I`ll post updates as I go, but thats bang up to date to where I am with the build. Just battling with exhaust headers at mo.

Weekend Warrior
    quote:Originally posted by Surt

awesome paint job mate! more pics! i mean detailed pics coz its hard to see details in the mess (cell phone camera? )
    Pics do seem quite small n low res. Must be forum settings or my upload settings. Doh!

Most of pics are on my website though in bit higher size/res if wanting to nosey. Its www.pitstop-paint.co.uk , and pics are top of `Bikes` page on left hand menu. HTH.

Blog Entries
    Wow - Epic! You sure know your way around an airbrush mate. I love the fact that this was a sideline project and you've done so much more work than I've seen in ages just on the paint!

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    Great thread mate, top job!

quote:Originally posted by Jon

Cheers for compliments guys. Mucho appreciated. Im not worthy!
    i daresay u r Jon... cept ur welding skills lol! i'd luv to take a few lessons in air brushing from u real awesome work! wat paint do u use hows it with the brake fluid?
    coupla more questions: how do u fix the mesh to the i.c. trim? i was already thinking about, decided to make a double trimming with the mesh in between fixed with screws, wats urs?
    nother question, where do u pick up vacuum/boost from carbs, pics please!
    the last one by now:

Just before pipe feeds in bottom/back of carbs to my pitot tube setup And then into a middle entrance in bottom of plenum chamber
    afraid i dont get it: the pitot tube is sposed to pressurise the float chambers from the compressors outlet as in ur pics, so how it can be connected 'then' to the plenum?
    more close up pics on the matter!

Weekend Warrior
    cept ur welding skills lol!

Using a MMA Arc stick welder bud and learning to weld too. Best it will do Im afraid. No dosh for Mig or Arc setup n got 2 MMA machines for nowt so make use of em. None of its seen anyway once bodywork on, so rather do it myself for free than pay out n blow my budget. Would cost me more than the £250 Ive spent on entire bike so far to get pro welding of plenum/headers.

luv to take a few lessons in air brushing from u real awesome work!

Many thanks bud. Reckon Im getting there. Only been airbrushing 3-4 years, but got background in artwork and design beforehand which helps. lol. Give it another few years n hopefully be up to standard Im aiming for near the top of my game. Aim high I say.

wat paint do u use hows it with the brake fluid?

2K clear everything bud. Doesnt get much better for wear n tear really. Dont know of any finishes really that will stand up to brake fluid tho. Wil eat through paint and powdercoating with ease that stuff.

coupla more questions: how do u fix the mesh to the i.c. trim? i was already thinking about, decided to make a double trimming with the mesh in between fixed with screws, wats urs?

Got it pop-rivetted to bracketry on inside bud so not seen. My intercooler and turbo are going to be shrouded in airbrushed scoops like bodywork once done tho so not going to be seen anyway. Going for smooth look to focus on paintwork as thats my business n its good advertising.

the pitot tube is sposed to pressurise the float chambers from the compressors outlet as in ur pics, so how it can be connected 'then' to the plenum?

Sorry maybe my typing bud. Pitot tube is just before plenum inlet. Tube from pitot goes to carb float bowls via a t-peice. Boost guage take off, fuel pressure regulator feed, and blow off valve pressurisation all come off carb vacuum points so can see negative vacuum on boost guage also. Carb top vents on these model of carbs goes to plenum chamber. Hope this clears it up bud. There are pics of it all in thread somewhere if dig.

PM/email me if needing any turbo advice. No expert, but absorbed as much info from net/books as physically can over last 6 months of this build to learn as much as can.

Weekend Warrior
    Awesome,good to see a real artist.

cept ur welding skills lol!

Using a MMA Arc stick welder bud and learning to weld too. Best it will do Im afraid. No dosh for Mig or Arc setup n got 2 MMA machines for nowt so make use of em. None of its seen anyway once bodywork on, so rather do it myself for free than pay out n blow my budget. Would cost me more than the £250 Ive spent on entire bike so far to get pro welding of plenum/headers.

luv to take a few lessons in air brushing from u real awesome work!

Many thanks bud. Reckon Im getting there. Only been airbrushing 3-4 years, but got background in artwork and design beforehand which helps. lol. Give it another few years n hopefully be up to standard Im aiming for near the top of my game. Aim high I say.

wat paint do u use hows it with the brake fluid?

2K clear everything bud. Doesnt get much better for wear n tear really. Dont know of any finishes really that will stand up to brake fluid tho. Wil eat through paint and powdercoating with ease that stuff.

Got it pop-rivetted to bracketry on inside bud so not seen. My intercooler and turbo are going to be shrouded in airbrushed scoops like bodywork once done tho so not going to be seen anyway. Going for smooth look to focus on paintwork as thats my business n its good advertising.

the pitot tube is sposed to pressurise the float chambers from the compressors outlet as in ur pics, so how it can be connected 'then' to the plenum?

Sorry maybe my typing bud. Pitot tube is just before plenum inlet. Tube from pitot goes to carb float bowls via a t-peice. Boost guage take off, fuel pressure regulator feed, and blow off valve pressurisation all come off carb vacuum points so can see negative vacuum on boost guage also. Carb top vents on these model of carbs goes to plenum chamber. Hope this clears it up bud. There are pics of it all in thread somewhere if dig.

PM/email me if needing any turbo advice. No expert, but absorbed as much info from net/books as physically can over last 6 months of this build to learn as much as can.
    thanks bud just curious bout ur setup

Weekend Warrior
    Some of my thread pics might be offline. Got an email from Photobucket saying my 10Gb monthly bandwidth limit had been exceeded! Guess a fecking lot of folk have been following this thred on different forums. lol.

Pics will come back on automatically soon tho if any missing. Can always check out most of pics on my website tho in meantime. On `gallery - bikes` page.

Weekend Warrior
    Got last pipe of my exhaust manifold made up tonight. Took it off welding jig and tried on engine. Tighter fit as my new outlet port sections are good 1mm+ wider than originals. Tighter n leak free the better tho. Quick slap of my hand on pipes n slotted into oulet ports fine which is a relief to say the least! Lol.

Number 3 cylinder sitting too close for comfort to frame downtube tho so gonna cut out few inches of pipe n rework bend to clear better. Not end of world tho. These things happen when building a 3D shape off the bike. Another bit of welding n fab n be ready for heat wrap. Ordered up heat wrap off egay. Got some graphite black 2” wrap and stainless ties for £9 delivered which is cool. Hopefully by next weekend or so I should have pipes done/wrapped n bolted onto engine. I`ll stick up pics when done as it’s a weird pipe setup obviously for side exit.

Been busy as hell work wise so my lovely wife suggested since extra cash been coming in could get bit for bike off my list. Biggest expense left to buy was back tyre (190-200mm). Been looking for one at sensible price for months, but going for silly money, plus of course everyone wants £20-30 extra courier delivery charges to get stuff up to my little island making it bloody costly! Saw a Dunlop D207 200/50-17 on egay for £80 brand new inc. delivery. Contacted seller to ask about delivery to up here n said he`d send it normal postal service parcelforce to me for free to avoid courier charges. Sweet. So that’s a big fat tyre on way for my busa back wheel.

Emoe a great guy sent me an gsxr Srad rear shock he had sitting around for free!:-

Gonna do him a v.cheap caricature of his gsxr fighter tho in return. Lot beefier spring and fully adjustable compared to shitty bandit 600 one I had. Should be much more of a match to extra leverage of 9” over swingarm out back. Cleaned it up today and swapped lower linkage and my stainless spring cover over to srad shock. Added to parts pile again. Lol.

Picked up a little light up town for my number plate illumination. :-

Same units I`ve got on my trikes mudguards and a bargain at 80 pence. Lol. Going to paint top/sides/front of it and mount it to my number plate surround next few days. Also going to run wiring inside surround for neat look.

That’s about it for moment as all my free time (when I get any) has been thrown into making exhaust headers. Once theyre done tho can start mounting turbo itself and intercooler and pipework, etc, etc.

So with the fat tyre, exhaust wrap and number plate light that takes my budget up to huge £340 including bike. Need to buy oil lines/fittings, battery, brake light switches f/r, and a boost sensitive fuel pressure regulator so reckon will be on road for under £500 GBP when done which cant be bad. Lol.

Weekend Warrior
    Mr. Postman came today:-

Never been into fat tyres as live on an island which makes TT course look tame roads wise. lol. Always been more of a bald edge of tyre kinda guy n corner addict. Fat tyre is gonna look real good tho on style of bike bandit is. Nice n fat! Mount it on wheel when get chance.

Weekend Warrior
    Got section of last cylinder of my exhaust header cut out. Cut out some new curves to re-route further out. Tacked together for now. I`ll get out next couple evenings n weld it up properly, etc. Not far off tho.

Nice evening so got out in sunshine with my tyre levers n soap n got tyre on busa rim. Looks good with polishing n airbrushing, etc.:-

I`ll tyre pen sidewall lettering sompoint when rubber dry again. Wedged it between lumps of alloy on bike bench. Sitting bang on measurements Yantosh has given me of swingarm at full stretch so gives me a better idea now with tyre on of final look. Me likey:-

Back to fiddling about with headers again next few evenings, but hoping to have em wrapped n bolted on by weekend depending on free time I have.

Weekend Warrior
    Cleaned up my headers with wire brush on drill this afternoon, double checking for loose welding slag hiding any pinholes, etc, etc. Stuck wire brush up each pipe too to make sure nothing hiding inside pipes too. Good hose out n quick paint with high heat aerosol. Look like bag of shite due to my welders limitations, but not gonna be seen n have cost me nothing but time to make so not gonna complain. Lol.

My heat wrap for pipes showed up in this afternoons post along with stainless ties:-

That’s my job for tomorrow evening if get a chance is to wrap em up. Did try headers on actual engine again earlier too. Good snug fit and new section of pipe clears frame by miles so all seems good. Just wrap n bolt on hopefully.

Stood back from bike n had good look over bike with copious beard scratching n sucking through teeth. Lol. Only bit I wasn’t happy with was the mirror I made before sticking up in air. Had it in my head for it being a low slung under bars german style mirror. Unbolted it in chucked most of it in bin. Lol.

Routed out some old carbon fibre number plate cut-offs from years ago. Made the circular headlight covers for my Harris with the middles of them years back. Lol. Bitta scrap alloy n a rough plan:-

Bitta drilling n attacking with grinder later on. Quick spray of clearcoat on carbon bits to give em a shine too. Low slung n fully adjustable in every plane thanks to little swivel alloy block on bottom.:-

Plenty clearance on full steering lock:-

Nice low side profile:-

If find too low can move about till right. Worst case can swing round to above bars position again. Fullt adjustable as I say so can find something that works. Under bars looks better tho.

Hopefully next update will be headers in place on engine n can offer up turbo to see how sitting n get idea of just how stupidly wide bikes gonna be. Lol. That’s what I wanted tho long/low/wide so on track. Got me other toys for corner carving after all.

Had planned on rebuilding ninja next as got stack of ideas n some radical plans drawn out for it, but bikes just been taxed recently wheras Harris tax has just ran out. Might do Harris overhaul first then as next project. Nothing too radical planned tho as love it way it is tbh. Just damn good paint/polish/detail of everything to show standards really.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast