Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Making a crystal effect solution.

Weekend Warrior

Some pics of the home made stuff. The solution appears to be very dependant on temp. This was done at 30*C. Now it just needs a flatten and polish. Will post pics when the bike is all back together.

Blog Entries
    Hey Cammy, are you binning that amazing red paint job you did?

Weekend Warrior
    Shift1313,
    The paint job is raised to some extent (grainy?) but the 3d effect is a slight optical illusion. The clear over mine (the bronze tank) had a couple of medium clear coats then sanded, couple more, then buffed. Not much really. 8^)

Weekend Warrior
    quote:Originally posted by Gix11

Hey Cammy, are you binning that amazing red paint job you did?
    no, not until i spill the bike but it's only a matter of time LOL.
    I saw this effect about 2 years ago but struggled back then to find a uk supply, web sites always said 'coming soon'. So i satrted watching the alsa videos and they just poured the stuff on and it worked. Good thought it must be kind of cheap if you are pouring it. Then i got the 1st of the prices over here, £75-£90 per quart (950ml give or take). I could easily use a gallon just experimenting considering that people using the real stuff seemed to struggle, it was just too expensive for me. Then i was looking through some airbrush forums and found someone had made a diy solution. Their results where good but not spectacular like the alsa and lectra galleries. So i shevled that idea next to many others.
    Then i read the post with barknmads use of the diy stuff and it looked fantastic compared to others so i thought i would give it a try. I turned out to be a little more complicated than it sounds trying to get different effects and also the low ambient temp in Scotland did not seem to help as the crystal growth is really temp sensative.
    I did some test panels and showed them to some mates, they were impressed and one asked if i would do his bike as it was needing painted. He did specify that the colours where not to be bright or highly contrasting, so i used the black,graphite and silver. Luckily he loves it and i get some dosh for playing with paint .
    Shift, i have used only 4 coats of clear, the first 2 was enough for good depth and the last 2 were just flattening coats. This way i know there is enough material for me to wet sand and buff to a glass finish. If i really have to i will knock it back with some 800g and shoot 2 more coats of clear.

Weekend Warrior

These are pics of my lid i did the other day. I used the crystal stuff on the back and front and tied the trest of the paint with the effect on the bike. But i am finding it difficult to take pick of the finish. I used 200ml of mixed 2K clear through a HVLP gun. This was plenty to get the finish you see in the pics.

Blog Entries
    Mate, you do a bloody great job every time!

Weekend Warrior

here is my effort i repainted the bike last week at the ne tail unit was not a perfect match

Weekend Warrior

and here is the full bike, looks shit hot in the flesh

Blog Entries
    Bring it to the Fools Run mate. I'd like to see it.

Weekend Warrior
    that looks awesome pommie, great job.
    How did you mix up the urea solution?

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    hmmmm .. as soon as I mentioned the words UREA, crystals, and ammonia.. the sales assistant at the local hardware store started getting VERY suss on me hahahahaha.. probably didnt help that i made jokes about deisel.. ah well f*ck em. Im giving this a go

New to Streetfighters
    this is really nice
    but i am still confused with the way to how to do it !

quote:Originally posted by ebinmoothedam

this is really nice
    but i am still confused with the way to how to do it !
    Pommie has done excellent work with his paint work.

Im sure he would be willing to share his skills with you, but I will give you a helpful hint for someone who may want to stay and chat. Go to the introduction threads and introduce yourself properly, otherwise you may not get as warm a welcome as you might have liked.

Jarrod

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder
    ^^^^^^^^^what he said^^^^^^^^^^
    the crystal solution is pretty easy to make, i found the hardest part was to find the right amount of paint and the right consistancy to spray over the crystals...
    ^^^which one confuses you??

quote:Originally posted by Gix11

Mate, you do a bloody great job every time!
    Just as Si says, you have an amazing talent M8 beautiful finish

Weekend Warrior

there is not much more i can say to what cammy9r has explained, apart from the main thing for me is the temp, a spray booth would be good to control that, cos if you have humidity the crystal will never form.
    as with this part if you spray the bits at different time you get a different effect

I wonder if you could direct the growth of the crystals,like with a warm air stream or iron dust and a magnet , wild guesses here but you see what i'm getting at ??
    Or a wax pattern for a background or script ?

Blog Entries
    Woah Greg, you're on to something there I reckon.

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    that is awesome! id love to see someone paint the effect on.

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    *EDIT*

So it turns out Urea is not available on the open market since 9/11 (at least here in the states) and it's high nitrogen/bomb potential. The guy at home depot pointed me towards Ammonia Nitrate, and I eventually wound up with 35-0-0 (http://www.garden-services.com/ferttype.html) I'm curious if this will work out the same? I forgot the ammonia at work, so I'll have to wait till tomorrow night to give it a go anyways, no worries, I'll practice laying base coats.

My friend runs a landscaping company, maybe I could get Urea from him?

What kind of paint do you use? After talking in depth with the guy at the hardware store i was walking away with a cap/handle for spray paint, a spray paint primer, a flat black and a clear coat all in a spray can, as well as some accessories - should i have bought the mixture in a can and then gone about it with an airbrush, or whatever, my neighbors own a shop and I might be able to use theirs.

Cheers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast