View Full Version : UV cured composites

robmac
22-03-2010, 11:17 AM
Anybody used this stuff?
http://percyshp.com/store/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=612

Looks promising for the back yard moulder [:p]

JackTar
22-03-2010, 09:24 PM
What is it? Apart from what it says at the top.

ST31TH
22-03-2010, 10:14 PM
Over priced crap at $20 a sheet measuring 12 x 12 inches its just pre resined fibre glass on a film and all u need to do is add the resin film from what i can see. . . they wanted us to try stuff like this at the pannel shop i use to work at but it was only really good for a quick fix

fimpBIKES
23-03-2010, 04:06 AM
it sounds like a very interesting product if you ask me

"HyperFiber is a revolutionary, time saving, material that allows you to make your own custom composite parts in minutes. Save thousands versus making molds and paying for carbon fiber parts to be made for you. No more mixing high odor resins hoping to get exactly the right ratio, trying to get just the right amount of resin on your material, or wasting resin that sets up in the can or drips off on the work surface. HyperFiber has fiber and resin combined with a dry film on each side for the perfect ratio of material and resin EVERY TIME. Simply cut and form HyperFiber in its uncured state to your desired shape inside, out of the sun. Your work time is nearly unlimited! No longer are you working against the clock to try to get everything done before your part sets up. Once you are finished, simple expose the piece to sunlight or a Percy's UV light source and the HyperFiber will set up in a matter of minutes! With the twill weave used in HyperFiber, you are also able to form it around the most complex curves and angles without having wrinkles or needing to cut the material. HyperFiber is available with or without memory wire woven directly into the fiber. The purpose of the memory wire is to hole the shape that form into it. Just like the non-wired version, HyperFiber with memory wire is also available in kits for popular applications. Layer and re-enforce as necessary; when thickness doubles, stiffness goes up six times! HyperFiber is great for 1000's of uses in automotive, marine, car audio or any other application that requires a totally custom composite."

but yeah, HEAPS more expenny then just doing it the od fashioned way

DiscoDan
23-03-2010, 07:18 AM
Take out half the sales talk there and it still sounds interesting. I wonder how strong it is compared to conventional resin

probike
23-03-2010, 09:49 AM
you can get this stuff here in melbourne can't remember exactly but I will find it

NZSF1
07-04-2010, 06:38 AM
This stuff is pretty common in the boatbuilding industry although pre-pregs are usually reserved for the high end boats. Carbon fibre commonly comes like this and in the boat indusrty its not UV cured but heated in an autoclave. It is a nice easy way to make stuff without having to get covered in shit as you normally do.

Jockney Rebel
08-04-2010, 04:38 AM
ill have acrack at this stuff sounds ok 12"by 5 feet should do a fair bit