PDA

View Full Version : gimmee some ideas please

boris
12-01-2010, 08:22 PM
hey there southern brothers I'm planning on riding down your way around christmas this year and hoping you guys can give me some ideas of some nice places to visit(not interested in cadbury factories and shit lol) will be freecamping our way down and around but would be more than keen to catch up with any other members for a ride and maybe some sightseeing any ideas of what would be cool to see would be appreciated thanks guys

BANDITROD
12-01-2010, 08:42 PM
first thing ya wanna do is head for bicheno on the east coast that will fill in the first day anjd then head for derwent bridge and then across to strahn and then straight up the west coast to bernie and then off to devonport all up 3 days riding mate at least thats what i am doing on the 19th of feb till the 22nd

JackTar
12-01-2010, 09:34 PM
quote:Originally posted by BANDITROD

first thing ya wanna do is head for bicheno on the east coast that will fill in the first day anjd then head for derwent bridge and then across to strahn and then straight up the west coast to bernie and then off to devonport all up 3 days riding mate at least thats what i am doing on the 19th of feb till the 22nd

You need somewhere to stay when you're down south Rod?

BANDITROD
12-01-2010, 10:18 PM
well i have already booked and payed for accom so thanks anyway mate

BANDITROD
12-01-2010, 10:20 PM
btw anyone else wanting to join us is more than welcome we are leaving on the boat on the thursday 18th at 730 pm and jumping back on the boat on sunday the 21st at 730pm and then i will be riding back up home on the monday

BANDITROD
12-01-2010, 10:30 PM
sorry for the hijack borris i highly recomend that you visit cradle mountain its fucking awsome and for the best feed in tassie drop in to the derwent bridge pub its fucking great

rod185651
13-01-2010, 09:58 AM
Just got back from Tassie, To add to Rod's recomendation, we filled a day leaving from Launceston heading to St Marys and back again going through St Helens and Elephant's pass. This route was about 400km return filled with both sweeping and tight twisty corners and only had about 300m total of straight road on it. The road conditions are pretty good, however be careful of cars who like to cut corners on right handers and on left handers they all seem to hit the gravel or dirt which then sprays the gravel on to the road.

rod185651
13-01-2010, 10:03 AM
Here are some photos of the road aproximately 60km out of Launceston heading to St Helens I think it is sign posted as the A3?

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1263397055.jpg

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1263380193.jpg

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1263356144.jpg

boris
13-01-2010, 05:14 PM
quote:Originally posted by BANDITROD

sorry for the hijack borris i highly recomend that you visit cradle mountain its fucking awsome and for the best feed in tassie drop in to the derwent bridge pub its fucking great

not at all Rod this is exactly what I wanted to hear mate thank you

J7-11
15-01-2010, 11:34 AM
quote:Originally posted by rod185651

Here are some photos of the road aproximately 60km out of Launceston heading to St Helens I think it is sign posted as the A3?

That would be the sideling... Good road, as is the one down the east coast from St Helens to Hobart. My favourite bit is 'break me neck' and 'bust me gall' hills, south of Orford. Nice mix of fast, flowing corners, double lanes if you're going in the right direction.

Some decent roads to be found down south of Hobart too, head down the channel highway and then there's some heading west, just watch out for gravel on the road!

I've heard grasstree hill is a great road too, never got the chance to ride it!

As for the west coast, best bit would have to be 99 bends going out (or coming into!) Queenstown. Been a while since I've been on that road, but I remember it being awesome.

rod185651
15-01-2010, 04:42 PM
quote:Originally posted by J7-11
As for the west coast, best bit would have to be 99 bends going out (or coming into!) Queenstown. Been a while since I've been on that road, but I remember it being awesome.

I rode that stretch like a little girl. The view over the edge is pretty intimidating

Jockney Rebel
15-01-2010, 06:19 PM
call in on yer way down or back boris and we ll put you up ..btw quoted a job to yamba yesterday so if i get it i may see you for a beer or ten on the way back