PDA

View Full Version : Track Day at HV

Benz
15-11-2009, 02:33 PM
A great day, stinking hot, but totally worth it. I'm still yet to upgrade the fuel system, so there was plenty of predetonation coming out of corners,[yeah I should turn the boost down.....not going to happen....] but the bike was still running pretty strong for a 1984 model!
There was plenty of late models to chase,and two of my mates are now looking at buying track/race bikes, so the bug has bitten bad.
Boring pics, but they prove I was there!! http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1258277963.jpg

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1258294839.jpg

rod185651
16-11-2009, 10:21 PM
Nice one mate.

_Daniel_
21-12-2009, 09:39 PM
Thought I would salvage the NT section a bit with my first post.
Firstly nice bike!
Secondly whens the next track day? I went to my first and only so far in Oct and I believe the next to be late Feb some time but not sure on exact date?
Also after this rain clears up, in good few months; I think a Litchfield ride is in order?

puppet
21-12-2009, 10:03 PM
I can't believe they let you out on the track wearing that. Anywhere else you would have to wear one piece or zip together two piece leathers.

BANDITROD
22-12-2009, 12:26 AM
i was actualy thinking the same puppet

Benz
22-12-2009, 10:11 AM
What! Leather jacket with back protector, above ankle riding boots, leather gloves, jeans,and approved helmet is the minimum requirement. I was not the only guy wearing this.
It is a track/ride day, raceday combo, and anybody racing has to have full/zip together leathers, and the full safety requirements, just like any other racetrack.
Welcome Daniel,thanks for the comment on the bike.
Litchfield is go, when the rain stops pissin down!! Yes, next track/ride day is late Feb, early March some time...........

BANDITROD
23-12-2009, 12:22 AM
fuck well if you go to the island it is minimum 2peice zip together leathers just for a ride day anyways mate how did you go

Benz
23-12-2009, 12:59 AM
Fair enough.
Different rules up here, although I wouldn't want to make a dumbarse mistake wearing what I had on.. Full leathers are on the list.
Since the ride day, a mate of mine has purchased a trackbike, a 2000 model ZX9,setup for HV, [has done 1.16, around 6sec off the lap record, I'm told] and I'll be using it for half the day [2 of 4 sessions], fixing whatever stuffs up, providing the trailer, and storing the bike at my place as my part of the deal.
I'll still ride the Geep the other two sessions,[he will be on his 1098 when I'm on the zx9] but I've still got a hell of a lot to learn before I'm anywhere near as good as the trackbike is.
The Geep turbo did well,[apart from the damned pinging]no handling issues, brakes were good, apart from a bit of fade, and the engine is still in one piece.
GSXR L suspension and brakes certainly improved it!

_Daniel_
27-12-2009, 02:51 PM
If that's the kwaka I recall seeing there it was at quite a good price, I think it was 4k if I remember correctly?
I think I remember your mate on the 1098 as well? I think it was just me and him out on the track for the last 2 sessions on the ride in oct. Maybe he will remember me, I was the younger bloke on the Red R1; he should remember me as he was lapping me...

Benz
30-12-2009, 01:04 PM
Yes Daniel, that is the bike. As for him remembering you, I can't say..........but I'll ask him when he gets back from WA.

_Daniel_
24-01-2010, 04:57 PM
Just had a look at the TERRA site. Seems there is only 3 ride days this year...[V]

Benz
26-01-2010, 12:43 PM
Shit!! Just had a look myself.[EDIT]>> I think you'll find that racedays, are also ridedays, so there's 8 rounds/ridedays and finals, plus three dedicated ridedays only. At least that's the way it happened last year, and the way I'm reading it.
We are also getting a round of superbikes in April..........should be a good year for bikes.

_Daniel_
28-01-2010, 06:02 PM
Yep your right I emailed TERRA and at first they said all the blue calender days minus TTC will involve ride days but he emailed again today saying the Test and Tunes will only be open to racers unless marked otherwise.
So the first ride day this year will be the 28th of march, I believe.

Are you going to race the Kwaka or just have fun on the ride days with it?

Benz
28-01-2010, 09:20 PM
The turbo will be used on ride days only, and the zx9,[owned by my mate],will also be used on ridedays..........maybe.........
He'll be spewin if he has to wait another month.

_Daniel_
18-02-2010, 10:03 PM
Looks like the dates have changed again. First day being the 14th of March as far as I can tell.
Then the season is cut short ending at the start of July because of the concrete barrier under going upgrades. So that's only 5 scheduled track days this year depending on the concrete barrier build time. Sucks, especially for you guys having the new race bike and eager to ride it.

Benz
21-02-2010, 10:46 AM
Well, I'm on my way down to the track now..........hopefully I'll get a thrash on somethin........!

Benz
21-02-2010, 12:09 PM
Denied............

_Daniel_
07-03-2010, 10:26 PM
Not long now! This Sunday id the first ride day of the year... Hopefully my boots will get here this week.

Benz
10-03-2010, 12:07 PM
I'll be there, riding the zx9. My mate had a fall at the last meet, and with two cracked ribs, he's not really feeling up to it!
I fixed the broken alternator cover, repaired/repositioned the steering damper mount, installed new foot pegs , converted the shift to race pattern,and cleaned up the mess,so I reckon it owes me a thrash!!

_Daniel_
11-03-2010, 08:43 PM
Poor bike but at least his OK. Was this at the test and tune day? Haha I agree have to reward yourself after putting the effort in.

I have a favor to ask, do you know how to dial in the suspension? Because this Sunday will be my second time on the the bike, I haven't set the suspension up for my weight yet and wouldn't mind having someone that knows what they are doing helping me, if you don't mind?

Benz
13-03-2010, 03:54 PM
I'd be glad to help, as much as my limited knowledge of suspension setup will let me.
From what I've gathered over the years, static sag is the first place to look,[about 30mm on the rear, and 10mm approx on the front when seated on the bike]. then after that, it's how YOU want it to behave that sets the bound and rebound.
It's a common move to put a zip tie around each fork leg at the fork seal, so you can see after the session if you are bottoming out the front, under brakes.
We'll have a look tomorrow, if you like, but there's usually plenty of far more knowledgeable characters hangin out in the pits.

atwd1970
27-03-2010, 10:11 PM
man last time i ran my bike at the valley it was an xt250 yami and i went to drags to watch scott(get it right)white and came of in the gravel just before the pit entry and was let in pits for free!! just to see ambo's and knocker renfry (drove a shit hot lj torana called the underdog)was talking to a offical about the possibility about a race cuircit being built and all the drag racers said NAH wont happen,
hmmmm memories

Loads
14-04-2010, 07:06 AM
Hi lads, tought I'd say hi seeing as I will probably get posted up your way pretty soon.
I do alot of track days down in Vic mainly at the Island (yes it is fucken great to ride) and Broadford.
At each of the track there has always been a suspension guy along with the tyre guy to help people out for the day.
I did a day last week at the Island and the set up was going for about $74, this included the initial set up for weight and fine tuneing during the day, the guys I saw also did a full bike setup.
You might ask the blokes who runs the days and find out if these guys are a usual fixture to the days, or could be included for the days.
Hope your days go well in the future.
Cheers Darryl

_Daniel_
21-04-2010, 08:37 PM
It's not nearly as big/professional up here mate but from what I hear it's a lot cheaper compared to other states. I don't race I just do what they call a "Ride day" where your let out onto the track four times for 20 minutes each session in between races and it's $125 for the day. How much is it down there?
There is no on site tyre sale & fitting there is also no people there as a business offering suspension tune ups etc.

But it's still a lot of fun.

Are you up here yet? If you are the first Sunday is a Track Day I believe.

Loads
27-04-2010, 03:19 AM
Nope not yet, will be next year if it happens, but as what happened with Jacktar, anything could happen.
I also only do the ride days, and I totally agree it rocks.
Good luck with your days.

Benz
01-05-2010, 12:45 AM
There'll be a tire dude at the track tomorrow, between 10 and 12, and there's a ride day happening on Sunday 2-5-10
see yas there