PDA

View Full Version : Thumb brake setup help

Shane0
09-06-2009, 12:07 PM
Hi guys,

Im after a thumb brake for my VTR1000F.

Im missing half my right leg (long story) anyhoooo Ive been back riding for the past 6 years with no probs, I just cant use the rear brake.

Ive decided Id like the option of braking the rear wheel, dont need to lock it up, just settle the rear down a bit especially handy for the slow tight stuff.

Any one know of some one either aussie or OS that deals with them?

I was hoping for some sorta setup that uses the existing rear brake setup just hooks in and gives a thumb option. Probably something fork mounted.

I have only found the GPTECH thumb brake from an OS site and they have just given me the runa around for way to long to trust.

What do you guys use or know about on this topic?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Shane

Iceman
09-06-2009, 12:12 PM
The stunt boys should be able to hook you up with one. Most of them are running them

scotty
09-06-2009, 12:39 PM
i work with scooters, they have rear hand brakes, want one?

latheboy
09-06-2009, 12:42 PM
You still there scotty? PM sent

scotty
09-06-2009, 04:38 PM
Back at ya "Hippy"

scotty
09-06-2009, 05:58 PM
After actuly reding this post i must.....

ShaneO
There are rule's to this here sacred site.
Where's ya welcome ya biach!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bout time ya got ear[:p]
I'll drop one round to whooosh man tommoza mate;)

yoda
09-06-2009, 08:12 PM
hey mate, i run a handbrake on the stunt bike..
few different ways of doing it, but simplest is a front brake master cylinder(on LHS), long braded line, adapter(or weld another banjo) to rear master, line to back caliper. Magic!
Nearly all the stunt guys use their middle finger on the lever(the i spose you could flip it to use ur thumb). Any reason you want to use your thumb? You'd get a lot more leverage and control from your finger IMO.
If you want some proper details/info, swing me an email!(going to be away for few days so if i dont get straight back don't panic.

JackTar
09-06-2009, 09:12 PM
I have not read any of the content in this thread just the title and I am wondering how fast your thumb could be if it needs a brake.

Shane0
09-06-2009, 09:34 PM
lol ;)

Yeah yeah, look ya know I was after some info, I realise i went all to fast and had me hand up ya skirts before I had taken ya out for dinner :) apologies for the no intro post, some peeps get touchy on the "no intro" some dont, I rolled the dice and thought nah these guys are way too kool :) but fook it here it goes (and yep I know its in the rong place :) rulz r made 2 be busted ANARCHY

Im shane, I handsome sexzy man albiet 1.5 legged sexzy man, I like long walks in the rain, and strawberries dipped in chocolate and feed to me one at a time while midgets lick between my toes. I loved to be drowned in honey naked just prior to being feed to zah lezbians. Well thats enough about me.

Anyhooo :)

Thanks to those who offered up some help, big ask when a stranger jumps right on in with his hand out and certainly exposes those who are the helpers in the group.

Its all good :)

scotty
09-06-2009, 09:50 PM
Bwaaahahahahahahaahaha

latheboy
10-06-2009, 07:59 AM
Wow Shane0 we might just get along great guns.... I love long walks on the beach, poetry read to me at bed time and puppies, also a lot of kinky stuff that i wont repeat here.
Welcome

livewire
10-06-2009, 08:34 AM
There's a gadget out there called a "clake".
www.clake.com.au.
Combined clutch and brake actuator.
Might do what you're after.
Cheers,
G

bluemk1
10-06-2009, 10:04 AM
quote:Originally posted by livewire

www.clake.com.au.
Cheers,
G

interesting gadget that one. bit pricey, i wonder what its like to ride with

Shane0
10-06-2009, 11:23 AM
quote:Originally posted by bluemk1

www.clake.com.au.
Cheers,
G

interesting gadget that one. bit pricey, i wonder what its like to ride with

ja 1.2K does seem a bit OTT, for my app I didnt want to lose me rear lever if possible, Im also jus wondering where Id install it on the bar (not alot of room up there and that thing looks largish)

Not prolly possible I know, but Id rather try it out b4 parting with that much hard earned.

Thanks for the link though, something worth bearing in mind I reckon.

Shane0
10-06-2009, 11:24 AM
quote:Originally posted by yoda

hey mate, i run a handbrake on the stunt bike..
few different ways of doing it, but simplest is a front brake master cylinder(on LHS), long braded line, adapter(or weld another banjo) to rear master, line to back caliper. Magic!
Nearly all the stunt guys use their middle finger on the lever(the i spose you could flip it to use ur thumb). Any reason you want to use your thumb? You'd get a lot more leverage and control from your finger IMO.
If you want some proper details/info, swing me an email!(going to be away for few days so if i dont get straight back don't panic.

Yoda ill fire one at ya in a couple of days

Ta for the help

Shane0
10-06-2009, 11:30 AM
quote:Originally posted by JackTar

I have not read any of the content in this thread just the title and I am wondering how fast your thumb could be if it needs a brake.

Hmmmmm ok [:p]

wasnt planning on grabbing a tonne of thumb to get out of trouble dood, thats what that right lever is for ;)

Thumb lever just to tickle the rear into submission, but I guess ya wont read this reply either so im prolly just wasting more of my time
[?][?] lol

scotty
10-06-2009, 11:33 AM
quote:Originally posted by scotty

scotty
10-06-2009, 11:35 AM

You dont loose your rear lever,just double banjo on to the rear master and it all works fine;)

BANDITROD
10-06-2009, 07:00 PM
quote:Originally posted by Shane0

wasnt planning on grabbing a tonne of thumb to get out of trouble dood, thats what that right lever is for ;)

Thumb lever just to tickle the rear into submission, but I guess ya wont read this reply either so im prolly just wasting more of my time
[?][?] lol

dont worry bout him shane0 he is just our very own pisstaker award winner 2 years in a row

gixkat
10-06-2009, 08:53 PM
Dont want to be a smartarse shane-o, but dont you have a prosphetic for the bottom half of yer missing pin? or is feeling or touch the problem there[?]

Shane0
10-06-2009, 10:48 PM
quote:Originally posted by gixkat

Dont want to be a smartarse shane-o, but dont you have a prosphetic for the bottom half of yer missing pin? or is feeling or touch the problem there[?]

Nah nah mate its all good.

Yep I have a prosthetic leg, I have absolutley no ability to flex or extend my right foot (push down on the rear lever) and infact I jam my right foot between the peg an the brake lever (so my heel sits on the peg and I force the toes under the brake lever) to hold it to the bike so it doesnt fly off or bounce loose.

Oh and yeah, I cant put me right foot down....either when stopped or in an emerg Im basically stuck on the bike :D when I want to get off I have to reach down and rip my foot out.

Hope that makes sense.

Shane0
10-06-2009, 10:59 PM
quote:Originally posted by BANDITROD

quote:Originally posted by Shane0

[?][?] lol

dont worry bout him shane0 he is just our very own pisstaker award winner 2 years in a row

I hear ya

Love family guy :) sometimes when no one is looking I to can reach my own nipple.

By the way I did some lookin around the site today and did I see pictures of you in a mankini :D

grindella
30-07-2009, 08:38 PM
look at braking system on a moto guzzi when the brake is applied 30% of the pressure goes to the rear.

DiscoDan
30-07-2009, 09:12 PM
http://www.motostrano.com/spramacywith.html

maybe

scotty mac
30-07-2009, 10:43 PM

www.clake.com.au.
Cheers,
G

my boss has one on his crf450x, problem is adjusting it so the clutch doesn't slip when the lever is fully in.

Gixxer_rat85
11-08-2009, 05:50 PM
Just another half-assed beer fueled thought, but maybe you could adapt a thumb throttle setup from one of those super dangerous trikes that Honda and Suzuki built in the 80s. You might need to use a longer and heavier cable, but it wouldn`t be to hard to link it to the rear master cylinder.....ah shit, where did I leave my fridge?