PDA

View Full Version : Cam Donald laps @ 131 mph @ IOM

Large
07-06-2009, 09:25 PM
Cameron Donald 'can't believe' 131.457mph lap

Cameron Donald, who lapped the Isle of Man TT course at 131.457mph on Thursday evening
Cameron Donald has confessed he ‘can’t believe’ how good his stunning 131.457mph lap of the legendary Isle of Man TT course was.

The TAS Suzuki star blitzed the 37.73-mile Mountain circuit during Thursday evening’s practice session. On his fourth lap on the GSX–R1000 superbike he completed the course at an average speed of 131.457mph – an unofficial lap record for the TT course.

Fans watching this incredible feat unfolding on the TT Live! Subscription service saw the Australian complete the run to Ballaugh Bridge at an average of 140.428mph. After roaring through the Sulby speed trap at 188mph, Donald upped his pace to raise his average to 143.897mph. Even at the Bungalow his speed was only 0.024 off 140mph!

Donald said:

‘I can’t believe the lap was so good as I was just cruising and I also got caught behind a couple of top riders who were hard to pass.’

‘The lap felt really comfortable on my GSX–R1000 Superbike and I didn’t even look at the clock when I crossed the line.’

‘I’m not counting my chickens just yet, but this sets us up well for Saturday’s race.’

It was a great night for the TAS Suzuki team – Donald’s teammate Bruce Anstey had earlier set a personal best of 130.129mph on his superbike.

Anstey and Donald now join Honda’s John McGuinness as the only riders in the TT’s 102-year history to have lapped at an average speed of more than 130mph.

Kiwi Anstey said:

‘The Superbike is now working really well, so we’re almost there.’

‘It’s obviously nice to have clocked a magical 130mph lap, but I have been cruising all night and I’m not even pushing hard yet; I’m saving myself for Saturday.’

‘The team has worked hard all week and I’m relaxed and in the right frame of mind.’

Team Principal Philip Neill added:

‘Now we are back on track. Practice is not racing and as Cameron said to me afterwards, “it wasn’t a perfect lap”, but the GSX–R1000 Superbike is working well for both of the boys.’

‘I must admit, it is pleasing to have recorded the first ever 131mph lap; it’s a TT milestone not only for Cameron and TAS Racing, but also for Suzuki, Relentless and all our other loyal sponsors.’

‘Cameron and Bruce were awesome tonight, and after a few small problems that only ever occur at the TT, we are now looking forward to Saturday’s TT Superbike race with optimism.’

The first race of the 2009 Isle of Man TT is the Dainese Superbike TT on Saturday.

http://www.iomtt.com

Tempest
08-06-2009, 01:03 AM
but unfortunately he won't be racing

http://www.iomtt.com/News/2009/06/06/TAS-Suzuki-confirm-donald-out-of-the-2009-TT.aspx

Large
08-06-2009, 08:44 AM
Looks like all the racing was postponed over the weekend because of the shit weather