PDA

View Full Version : WTD small mesh suitable for radiator/oil cooler

old gsxrr
17-03-2009, 04:01 PM
does anyone know where you get it from , the neat looking stuff you see in fairing ducts to air boxes -for keeping out the livestock

lurch
17-03-2009, 04:20 PM
If your going to use it for a rad/oil cooler get some stainless mesh like they use for security grills. Much tougher than the cheap crap mesh you'll get from supercheap or somewhere.

Try somewhere that manufacturers/sells security screens, they might have an off-cut big enough for you. Other than that Stocky might be able to point you in the right direction, he made one for me. Warp Speed makes them too.

Jockney Rebel
17-03-2009, 05:05 PM
right i used the security grill stuff on my rad onthe trumpy you get on your screen door s s/s stuff i get off cuts frommy local window shop for peanuts and its black

old gsxrr
17-03-2009, 05:13 PM
EXCELLANT, thanks for the info, i know a bloke that works in a security door manufaturing place i'll see whats available :D

Jockney Rebel
17-03-2009, 05:19 PM
also i never used any fixings just bent it tight and put little strips of foam wher it contacts

OZ750L
17-03-2009, 08:39 PM
Tried that "Crimsafe" stuff on the oil cooler of the 90 model Gixxer and damn near killed it as there is bugger all flow through that tiny mesh.

I use the flat mesh off the outside of CAT air filters. It's plenty big enough, flat, stainless steel and usually free. You can generally get it from places that clean industrial and machinery filter. Just ask if they have any filters that are rooted and are going to the dump. 4" angle grinder and you are away.

The other is any old Finer Filter or Uni Filter cages for car air cleaners. It's a smaller mesh but is ok to use, just doesn't cover much area.

Snaffler
17-03-2009, 08:49 PM
autobarn sells the black mesh they use in all the fiberglass front bars these days.

Jockney Rebel
17-03-2009, 09:00 PM
..used it on the rad and had no overheatng or anything and ive done some very fast ks on it also loads of traffic riding ..but the cat stuff sounds ok i can get that pretty easy from one of my punters

boris
17-03-2009, 09:05 PM
quote:Originally posted by OZ750L

Tried that "Crimsafe" stuff on the oil cooler of the 90 model Gixxer and damn near killed it
yeah but no-one stole it right dave:D

OZ750L
17-03-2009, 11:21 PM
Borrie.... Nah... come to think of it, it was safe as houses.

MONO
17-03-2009, 11:30 PM
quote:Originally posted by OZ750L

Tried that "Crimsafe" stuff on the oil cooler of the 90 model Gixxer and damn near killed it as there is bugger all flow through that tiny mesh.

I use the flat mesh off the outside of CAT air filters. It's plenty big enough, flat, stainless steel and usually free. You can generally get it from places that clean industrial and machinery filter. Just ask if they have any filters that are rooted and are going to the dump. 4" angle grinder and you are away.

The other is any old Finer Filter or Uni Filter cages for car air cleaners. It's a smaller mesh but is ok to use, just doesn't cover much area.

just raid the clean-a-way bin at my bros work BRISBANE AIR CLEANERS for free mesh [filters] kremzow rd brendale bris ,qld less waste cost for them they recon!!!

old gsxrr
18-03-2009, 09:29 AM
contacted the bloke last night he said they glue the mesh in and put a cover over it, i would prob have a aircleaner here off a tractor-same brand as cat-donaldson ,i was also thinking of expanded mesh with diamond shape someting like i see on stock bikes, thanks

davio
18-03-2009, 10:56 AM
i got a roll of stainless mesh (woven) about 4mmm hole and 1mm wire, if u pay the postage and give me a size ill send u some same stands for anyone who wants some but i only have 1 1/2 sq. metres so be quick

lurch
18-03-2009, 11:32 AM
quote:Originally posted by Jockney Rebel

also i never used any fixings just bent it tight and put little strips of foam wher it contacts

The one Stocky made for me had a stainless folded edge. Sprung in between the rad tanks, some sikaflex and cable ties and hey presto it was there to stay. Never had any issues with overheating riding in the Gladstone area with plenty of high speed thrown in.

Got one from Warp Speed for my Speed Triple. Springs into rad end tanks as well with some pinch weld rubber down the edges. No overheating with this one either.

old gsxrr
19-03-2009, 08:16 PM
have you got a pic of what it looks like davio, a piece 450x450 will prob do the couple of jobs i've got to do ,let me know-ken

old gsxrr
19-03-2009, 10:51 PM
sent ya a message LURCH -KEN

lurch
20-03-2009, 08:53 AM
Back at ya Ken

Shayne