PDA

View Full Version : The Kawasaki Moto GP plot thickens

TurboKat
16-01-2009, 11:02 PM
From Crash.net:

Dorna CEO Carmelo Ezpeleta has warned Kawasaki that its ZX-RRs must race in MotoGP this season - something that is looking more likely after a subsequent revelation that factory test rider Olivier Jacque will be on track with the ZX-RR in Australia.

Kawasaki, which officially announced that it was suspending its factory MotoGP activities on January 9, has a contract with Dorna to race in MotoGP until the end of 2011. Ezpeleta told La Gazetta dello Sport that he was willing to release Kawasaki from the final two years of that agreement, providing its bike are on the 2009 grid.

"There is an agreement until 2011, which Dorna has with all the factories," Ezpeleta told the sportspaper. "It cannot just be discarded.

"I have told Kawasaki that I would not accept this contract being broken and, since they have said that the costs for this season are budgeted, I have proposed that they race in 2009. In exchange I will release them from 2010 and 2011.

"The problem with this is that Kawasaki says it only has engines built for 25% of the championship and that they don't want to develop the rest. Therefore I am searching for a structure, in France, to do this for them. The final obstacle will be to get the Japanese to meet these people and agree to this scenario."

When asked how optimistic he was of success, Ezpeleta declared "I think that it will all be resolved" then stated that Kawasaki are testing in Australia and that he expects the current team structure to remain.

"Today Olivier Jacque is testing at Eastern Creek, in Australia [Update: The test has not yet started]. The team will continue to be managed by Michael Bartholemy and it is important to safeguard the futures of John Hopkins and Marco Melandri."

Despite such optimism, Ezpeleta once again warned Kawasaki that it cannot simply walk away: "If Kawasaki will not race, I will take them to court."

Those words could also be seen as warning to any other manufacturers thinking of quitting.

Ezpeleta also added that he wants a series of cost cutting measures - such as a reduction in testing, and engines that last for two or three grand prix weekends - agreed before the start of this season and is aiming to boost grid numbers to 20 riders for 2010.

Kawasaki's apparent withdraw had reduced the 2009 MotoGP field to just 17 riders.

Kawasaki testing 2009 MotoGP bike in Australia!
By Matthew Birt

MotoGP

14 January 2009 09:34

Kawasaki might have withdrawn from the MotoGP world championship, but bizarrely test rider Olivier Jacque is poised to evaluate the new ZX-RR in a test double-header in Australia.

Kawasaki confirmed last Friday that it was to withdraw from the premier class with immediate effect because of the global economic crisis.

Private Kawasaki team to run in MotoGP?
Yet French rider Jacque is at the Eastern Creek circuit near Sydney for a test on the 2009 ZX-RR that John Hopkins and Marco Melandri had expected to test in Sepang on February 5.

He is due to begin evaluating an all-new in-line four-cylinder motor and revised chassis at the Eastern Creek test, which is due to start on Saturday.

The test team will then move down to the Phillip Island for further testing.
News of the test gives fresh hope to rumours of a rescue package for Kawasaki, which quit MotoGP having informed team personnel in between Christmas and New Year.

Team boss Michael Bartholemy has been strongly linked with a rescue package, though he has yet to make any official comment on future plans or Kawasaki’s withdrawal.

sharky
17-01-2009, 07:36 AM
Maybe they should try running one of these ;)

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/12377074729924.jpg

oldskool
17-01-2009, 10:53 PM
That looks SUPER GAY!!!!!!!!!

BOHEMION
18-01-2009, 12:01 AM
well it is a yamaha oldskool